• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Airline Safety and Pilot Training Improvement Act of 2009

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Much of the work rules and fatigue issues, hopefully some will see, are industry wide. Not just a regional thing.

ALPA's disingenuousness about this is staggering. All they are doing is goading congress and the FAA into going after the regional airlines because ALPA has been impotent in checking the growth of regionals. It has nothing to do with safety. It's all about regaining flying mainline ALPA pilots gave up 15 years ago. The broad brush painting most regional pilots as being inexperienced, immature and overly fatigued is inaccurate. They are no more tired or unprofessional than the average mainline pilot.

The 300 hour new hire regional pilot is the exceedingly rare exception to the rule. There were a few from aviation based college programs, but not very many. My guess is you could take all the 300 hour new hires in the entire industry and comfortable put them in one room. Most new hires realistically have 1500-2000 TT. Simply requiring an ATP to fly in the 121 world would eliminate the few that have been hired with less than 1500 TT. IMO, the uproar about inexperienced regional FOs is much ado about nothing.

The airmanship of the Colgan crew is an issue. However, with apologies to most Colgan crews, Colgan isn't exactly the premier regional gig. They are a turboprop operator. Guys/gals that have their stuff together can get hired at jet regionals. Those that have issues or are lower time than normal end up at places like Colgan. Unfortunately in this case a weak CA was paired up with a very inexperienced FO. Add in a little ice and you have a recipe for disaster. It was the perfect storm of circumstances that killed 50 people. It should not be used to indict the entire regional pilot group. Most of them are experienced and professional aviators.

Fire away......

ALPA's disingenuousness about this is staggering. All they are doing is goading congress and the FAA into going after the regional airlines because ALPA has been impotent in checking the growth of regionals. It has nothing to do with safety. It's all about regaining flying mainline ALPA pilots gave up 15 years ago. The broad brush painting most regional pilots as being inexperienced, immature and overly fatigued is inaccurate. They are no more tired or unprofessional than the average mainline pilot.

The 300 hour new hire regional pilot is the exceedingly rare exception to the rule. There were a few from aviation based college programs, but not very many. My guess is you could take all the 300 hour new hires in the entire industry and comfortable put them in one room. Most new hires realistically have 1500-2000 TT. Simply requiring an ATP to fly in the 121 world would eliminate the few that have been hired with less than 1500 TT. IMO, the uproar about inexperienced regional FOs is much ado about nothing.

The airmanship of the Colgan crew is an issue. However, with apologies to most Colgan crews, Colgan isn't exactly the premier regional gig. They are a turboprop operator. Guys/gals that have their stuff together can get hired at jet regionals. Those that have issues or are lower time than normal end up at places like Colgan. Unfortunately in this case a weak CA was paired up with a very inexperienced FO. Add in a little ice and you have a recipe for disaster. It was the perfect storm of circumstances that killed 50 people. It should not be used to indict the entire regional pilot group. Most of them are experienced and professional aviators.

Fire away......

Is this a serious post? The 300 hour pilot was not the exception at regionals the past 3 years or so, it was the norm. Most of the people in my newhire class, almost all of them except me and 2 or 3 others, had under 500 hours flight time. I know several personally in other classes who had between 200-250 hours of TT. Hardly any reasonable amount of twin, and none had any CFI time of course.

A friend of mine went to Mesa and quickly left for a reputable regional. His sim partner didn't know any of the basic, most fundamental air-rules. 250 below 10--never heard of it. Flying skills were atrocious. He was the perfect candidate for a washout...but they passed him. Another loser student at the small FBO I taught at could barely speak english, couldn't pass a Mesa, PCL, or any other training program past the first few weeks. Piedmont took him and made him one of theirs. How many hours did he have? He barely passed his commercial.

And down south, they have some of that "good ol' boy" sh** with CAs, so in order for a CA to get canned, he'd have to crash the airplane, survive, pee on the wreckage, and then lie about it.

Another point. You think regional pilots are as fatigued as mainline pilots? AFAIK, Delta gets 8 hours behind the closed hotel room door. Mainline pilots don't wake up at 3:30AM to fly 5 legs, finishing off their 16 hour duty day flying a VOR approach into Northeast Assf**k Mississippi trying to key the runway lights...then get reduced rest and do it all over again the next day.

The 300 hour pilot is NOT a rare exception to the rule, as much as you'd like to believe it is when you're deadheading on Freedom Air.

Last edited:
I'll agree ,in part, with Caveman. Why isn't anybody, including Prater, going after CAL mgt for sharpshooting the scope clause? That's part of the larger truth to this as well.

Last edited:

Fire away......

This post is one of those where I just shake my head. ALPA gets mf'ed up and down on this forum for "not doing anything" for airline pilots. Then when one of the many examples where it clearly DOES benefit pilots becomes so painfully obvious that even the thickest ALPA pilot can see it clear as day without having to do something ridiculous like go to a union meeting, read a union publication, or actually pay attention, he complains that "ALPA is being disingenuous." UFB.

Then you go on to list the VERY THINGS that I would surmise most pilots want ALPA to do something about (the growth of regionals, tired pilots, the inexperience of some regional new hires, poor pilot treatment by bottom tier regionals, etc.) and then you complain that ALPA is just painting with a broad brush. Aren't the things you mention THE VERY THINGS THAT I READ ABOUT DAY AFTER DAY on this forum that need to be fixed? ALPA has reps., right now, helping influence the formation of this legislation to FIX THOSE THINGS. I mean, what more do you want?

I only hope they don't change the education requirements.

My fourth trip thru Third grade was really hard. And graduating from high school, forget about it. That GED test was a real bi&ch.

Rez also misses the point that some turboprop operators (like Eagle) are better than some shady jet operators (pinnacle).

Implying that anyone flying props is somehow a beauty school dropout from the jet world is an ignorant notion.

Latest resources

Back