Thanks Again ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mr.B

Another 175 UA pilots on the street Wednesday...for the second time. More to come in September too!

This while Express grows.

And my 1.25% goes to what again?

...".while express grows"

That says it all, my friend. Outsourcing in exchange for negotiating capital used elsewhere.

Another 175 UA pilots on the street Wednesday...for the second time. More to come in September too!

This while Express grows.

And my 1.25% goes to what again?

More of the same, until you guys start knocking some heads.

ALPO- AirLine Pilots thru Outsourcing

This is going to get ugly in

Prater didn't exactly fight the age 65 change did he? How many furloughs could have been averted if he did? I guess I'm gonna get lectured now from an old guy(who still has his 777 Captain job) about paying my dues in this business. Furloughed twice, 5.5 years last time, probably another 5 years this time. 10+ years on the street...Thanks ALPA! Has Prater ever been furloughed? Not trying to flame, I honestly don't know.

Here’s an idea;

Express or connecter carriers may grow in two ways: #of a/c and # of seats/aircraft. ALPA national needs work; a new holistic focus and a mission.

ALPA is the closest entity the US FAR 121 pilots have to a national union. Yet they can’t seem to grasp the benefits of a minimum pay standard for 121 pilots regarding airframe. This won’t solve all the outsourcing, but will contribute to the following: 1. Make it less cost advantageous for a mainline carrier to outsource. 2. Make the profession more stable as pilots will be better compensated across the board.

The term airline management has become a pejorative; but you can’t blame management. They are tying to keep the company as competitive as possible. If the pilots stabilized “their” cost structures; it would make managements job easier. Management could spend less effort shopping around for cheaper labor and less legal bickering over pilot contracts (at least the pay section). They could focus on some other area of their business strategy.

With ALPA national dictating “industry standard” and all “121” supporting this concept; career stability may be enhanced.

Yes by protecting jobs through creating an artificial monopoly on labor. Not by allowing outsourcing and subcontractors.

Uh huh. And when labor contracts or work related politics drive your employer to bankruptcy a "union" will ensure no employee sees his position replaced or relieved. Have we not learned anything in the recession with the American motor manufacturer's demise from outrageous labor expenses from the UAW Unions.

But pilots aren't overpaid... anyone can basically walk into a facory and get a job.. It takes years of study, and checkrides and $$ to become a pilot.. I don't put us in the same boat as doctors as far as importance and skill. But we are a very skilled labor group.

I bet I can walk into a factory and figure out how to run the drill press. I know a factory working can't figure out how to move a plane 2 inches.

Don't look at your career as a bus driver. Hopefully you see yourself as worth more than the 60k you may be making for the next decade or more.

Latest resources

Back