• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thanks Again ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You and your fellow pilots voted for those scope concessions, not John Prater, not the Executive Council, and not the Executive Board. You made your own bed. Now lie in it.

Complaining about your union and you're so ignorant that you don't even know what you pay in dues? It's 1.95%, genius. Get informed.

Typo...my bad. Now kiss my ass. I don't don't need it from some internet coward.

You think any union can protect you when liquidation in bankruptcy is eminent? Keep dreaming.
Wrong. I am merely pointing out the fantasy land your typical ALPA cheerleader lives in. Your arrogant posts seems to imply that ALPA is the one calling the shots. When ALPA speaks...Management snaps to attention. The reality of the matter? ALPA will get what Management gives them. Nothing more...often less.

As Rez always tells you, your expectations are never realistic. Learn to work within the system...
This is what boggles my mind. The System? You mean the system HEAVILY slanted in Management's favor? You're going to abide by the rules and expect change?
...and you can advance this profession back to what it used to be.
Did someone forget to tell that to the Mesa pilots?
Your crazy ideas about illegal work stoppages will lead nowhere.
I know pilots would never carry these actions out. When there is a line of applicants at Mesa, and you still have people paying for their jobs at GIA...you know the future of the industry is screwed. But hey, Johnny P. has his retirement pension all set up and he didn't have to produce one measurable result...Way to go ALPA!

The reality of the matter? ALPA will get what Management gives them. Nothing more...often less.

Yes, because I'm sure Fred Smith would have been happy to pay his pilots $300k a year if they didn't have a union fighting for it. :sarcasm:

This is what boggles my mind. The System? You mean the system HEAVILY slanted in Management's favor? You're going to abide by the rules and expect change?

If you don't like the rules, then you work within the system to change the rules. The problem we have is decades of anti-labor case law. The way to fix bad case law? Work with Congress and the President to pass new statutes that set the law back to the way it was originally intended, rather than the bastardized Republican anti-labor version it has become.

But hey, Johnny P. has his retirement pension all set up and he didn't have to produce one measurable result...Way to go ALPA!

Seems to me that he's produced pretty good results overall. Several non-union pilot groups have joined ALPA during his tenure, several non-ALPA groups have merged into ALPA, Alaska has a good TA, Hawaiian will soon have a good TA, and AirTran will follow soon after. There were certainly missteps along the way, but his legacy is shaping up to be pretty decent after all. He's earned his pension.

Then, 15 ALPA strikes at a "Legacies" in 31 years of a Regulated Industry with improving contracts for pilots.

Now, 4 ALPA strikes at "Legacies" in 31 years of of a Deregulated Industry with ONE in the past 12 years and NONE since 9/11, with contracts gutted.

Both periods under the RLA.

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." Alexander Hamilton, 1798

Savage,

So, what union do you belong to and how is that union working to better the profession for all of us? Thanks,

BD

ALPA is now like the UAW which was also once a proud powerful union. When the industry the union represents is essentially ready to go tango uniform you take the work that the company is offering or you don't. A strike in the airline biz these days essentially means the demise of the carrier...same as the auto industry. It may turn around in maybe 5, probably more like 10 years, but right now union dues is a waste of money unless you're a screw up and shooting holes in your AC or inducing confrontation with your uniform (hats), etc. If your a slacktard that needs your job saved on a regular basis, ALPA is great.

Yes, because I'm sure Fred Smith would have been happy to pay his pilots $300k a year if they didn't have a union fighting for it. :sarcasm:
And if FedEx wasn't profitable? ALPA is not the power house you and the other cheerleaders portray it to be. I'll go so far as to say an in-house Union at FedEx would have gotten similar results.

If you don't like the rules, then you work within the system to change the rules. The problem we have is decades of anti-labor case law. The way to fix bad case law? Work with Congress and the President to pass new statutes that set the law back to the way it was originally intended, rather than the bastardized Republican anti-labor version it has become.
Seemed to be pretty good right up to about the point of deregulation (Co-Authored by pro-labor Teddy Kennedy) Is the US Government beholden to the 60,000 or so ALPA pilots...or the remaining 300m citizens? ALPA's voice is but a whisper among the screams on Capitol Hill...but you won't hear this at any pro-ALPA Union Drives.

Seems to me that he's produced pretty good results overall. Several non-union pilot groups have joined ALPA during his tenure, several non-ALPA groups have merged into ALPA, Alaska has a good TA, Hawaiian will soon have a good TA, and AirTran will follow soon after.
Don't forget to give him credit for Comair's paycuts...Pinnacle STILL not having a contract...that abortion Mesa pilots call a "T/A", etc, etc, etc.

There were certainly missteps along the way, but his legacy is shaping up to be pretty decent after all. He's earned his pension.
Age 65 happened on his watch...but I know what you're going to say...there were bigger organizations pushing for it. Guess what? That is the story of ALPA in a nutshell...the runt of the litter...always getting elbowed out by bigger groups.

I know you need to do your brown nosing since you aspire to be an executive officer one day with ALPA...but you're in there pretty deep. Just make sure Rez doesn't let go of your ankles.

ALPA is now like the UAW which was also once a proud powerful union. When the industry the union represents is essentially ready to go tango uniform you take the work that the company is offering or you don't. A strike in the airline biz these days essentially means the demise of the carrier...same as the auto industry. It may turn around in maybe 5, probably more like 10 years, but right now union dues is a waste of money unless you're a screw up and shooting holes in your AC or inducing confrontation with your uniform (hats), etc. If your a slacktard that needs your job saved on a regular basis, ALPA is great.

Satisfied needs are not motivators. Methinks you don't appreciate the standard obtained....

Wishing for a unionless profession to me, is like an 18 year declaring she is independent and can make it on her own..... IOW, the day after she moves out she thinks she will be just as well off as she was living at home...

Last edited:
Yeah, those record-shattering contracts at NWA, AAA, UAL, and DAL in the late-'90s and early-'00s were a real ass-kicking. :rolleyes:

Hey scooter your post (number 26) was referring to RLA strikes so tell me about the one ALPA ran since the 80's that was successful. As for the contracts what they last, a year??? give me a break and get your head out of the ALPA sand box.

And if FedEx wasn't profitable?

So what you're saying is that you think a union should be able to get you massive pay raises even when a carrier is losing massive amounts of money and slipping towards liquidation? Get real.

ALPA produces results when it's possible to produce results. Had FedEx not been ALPA, then they wouldn't have gotten as good a contract in '06. Companies don't just hand over money to employees when they turn a profit, you have to fight for it.

I'll go so far as to say an in-house Union at FedEx would have gotten similar results.

The FDX pilots know better than you. They decertified ALPA in the early '90s because they thought they could do better themselves, and they created their own union called the FPA. After a few years of FPA failure, they realized that they had made a big mistake and voted in record numbers to bring back ALPA. They've had some of ALPA's highest approval ratings ever since.

Seemed to be pretty good right up to about the point of deregulation (Co-Authored by pro-labor Teddy Kennedy) Is the US Government beholden to the 60,000 or so ALPA pilots...or the remaining 300m citizens? ALPA's voice is but a whisper among the screams on Capitol Hill...but you won't hear this at any pro-ALPA Union Drives.

And despite your pessimism, ALPA produces results on Cap Hill. ALPA actually has the biggest PAC in the airline industry. ALPA contributes more money to politicians from ALPA-PAC than the ATA does.

Don't forget to give him credit for Comair's paycuts...Pinnacle STILL not having a contract...that abortion Mesa pilots call a "T/A", etc, etc, etc.

CMR - What don't you understand about bankruptcy?

PCL - You vote for Bush, you suffer the consequences of an anti-labor NMB. Things are about to change.

MAG - I think they got a pretty good deal. An 18 month agreement that fixed some of their biggest problems they had in their contract during a period of time when most people were expecting the company to file Chapter 7. Now they're only a year away from negotiations again under the Obama NMB when their company will likely be doing better. Smart strategy. I'm not surprised that you're not bright enough to understand that, though.

Age 65 happened on his watch...but I know what you're going to say...there were bigger organizations pushing for it.

No, that is one of the missteps that I referred to. I've always disagreed with Captain Prater about Age 65.

Latest resources

Back