Terminated for Interviewing at JetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lear70 said:
That's how a LOT of Part 135 operators work...

The FAR's only require 13 days off per calendar quarter for Part 135 and, because so many people are looking for work, a lot of scumbag operators will say, "Well, we didn't call you yesterday to work, so that was one of your days."

If you complain about it, they simply stop flying you until you quit, since most of them pay on a daily or "per trip" basis. I worked for two such outfits coming up through the ranks. Problem is, you don't know they're going to be like that until you're already working there, they don't come right out and say it during the interview.

The original poster replied to some of us via PM, I don't think he plans on responding further on this thread...

Lear70 you are are bringing back memories I paid big bucks to suppress! Many 135 operators are simply small business with one guy being the Big Boss. Everything that happens he takes personally. Policy changes daily and with his mood.

When the 135 outfit hears you've been job hunting or interviewing it is considered an act of disloyalty, even though you've been treated like trash since you arrived.

I will say though.... 135 pilots are some of the best becuase you're given the keys to the plane and you've got to figure everything out on your own....

Lear70 said:
That's how a LOT of Part 135 operators work...
Now you know why I don't complain about where I work.

They will let you have a one year leave of absence to work somewhere else and if you decide to walk back (it wouldn't be crawling), they'll leave a light on for you. You can come back at your old pay level, plus a few other things.

We recently had a guy come back after being gone for more than a year, he negotiated his return pretty well, however it was probably a slap in the face to those that he negotiated with when he left rather quickly for the fracs. But I doubt anybody is holding a grudge, he was very good employee and pilot. I think they'd let him back a third time or fourth.

Wish them the best

Not at USA Jet if a pilot has an interview coming up, they are normally honest about, and we rearrange their days off to make the interview. We write them letters of recommendation and wish them the best. Not everyone interviewing does this because their days are hard scheduled days off and they can plan in advance to set interview days. When one of pilots goes to Jet Blue, Air Tran, SWA, or FedEx it is kinda a nice reflection of who we have working for us.

FN FAL said:
Now you know why I don't complain about where I work.

They will let you have a one year leave of absence to work somewhere else and if you decide to walk back (it wouldn't be crawling), they'll leave a light on for you. You can come back at your old pay level, plus a few other things.

We recently had a guy come back after being gone for more than a year, he negotiated his return pretty well, however it was probably a slap in the face to those that he negotiated with when he left rather quickly for the fracs. But I doubt anybody is holding a grudge, he was very good employee and pilot. I think they'd let him back a third time or fourth.

FN FAL,

What frac did he leave from?

A friend of mine got fired from a charter outfit because he called in sick so he could go interview at American. He got far enough in the interview process with American that they called his references, with the first one being his then current employer. The employer obviously was curious when American called about one of their pilots so they asked when he interviewed, looked up the date in their records, and saw that this guy was sick on that date. The net result was that he lost his job and also didn't get hired by American because the employer informed them what this guy had done. He was flat busted.

I obviously don't know if something similar to this happened in this circumstance, but I'll agree with the others who say that the whole story isn't being told.

flylears said:
Guys/Gals,

I am disappointed to report that I was let go from my flying job after serving five+ loyal years of service just for fulfulling a long term professional goal.

The good news is that I was fortunate enough to pass Phase I of the JetBlue interview process and presently waiting to hear the results of Phase II.

Can anyone of the many professional people on this board give me some advice on what to do in the meantime?

Thank You

That's terrible. However, look at the worst case scenario. If Jet Blue doesn't hire you and you are a F900EX Captain, at least you have a great type to leverage going forward. I would also contact Jet Blue AFTER consulting a lawyer (in the very near future - free consultation most likely) and let them know what happened. I doubt it is the first situation like this they have encountered...

Good luck - and let us know what happens...

i think its a crock of ********************, especially that American story, i think that interview info is personal information, which...would mean lawsuit against American.....say...the guy won the lawsuit, and proved it was why he lost both jobs, thats a lot of cash in a settlement.. its not lawful to release personal information....interview dates etc...i am sure of this.

From someone currently engaged in lengthy and expensive litigation right now, wave off!

Usually the first couple of responses are the best. Remaining pages duke it out over minutia.

Take the UI benefits and the paycheck while in training. You will obviously have the required 18 months of employment history to draw the 60% pay for up to 52 weeks. I believe there is still an additional 13 weeks of benefits available from a Bush program initiated in 2002.

At-Will employment state or not, you have become unemployed through "no fault of your own". That is the simple criteria that the former employer has 21 days to challenge and provide documentation to the Employment security office countering your claim for benefits.

You will have to actively seek work while receiving benefits however. Every state has different requirements to include multiple applications for open( or not) positions for your line of work each week. This may be a challenge while in JB orientation and may even appear below board from their perspective (plan B in case of washout). This search for work must be documented and subject to audits with short deadlines for remittance. "Sorry, I am in JB class" may only work in the states that allow you to collect benefits although you may have worked, yet not received payment for that work.

Take the 40% "pay-cut" and earn an income while in class @ JB or to move on in your life pursuing something else.

Pm me with your cv, I may have something for you if JB bags your app.

Good luck!

100-1/2

xjhawk said:
i think its a crock of ********************, especially that American story, i think that interview info is personal information, which...would mean lawsuit against American.....say...the guy won the lawsuit, and proved it was why he lost both jobs, thats a lot of cash in a settlement.. its not lawful to release personal information....interview dates etc...i am sure of this.

The lawyers are coming out of the woodwork!!!! :rolleyes:

falcon20driver said:
FN FAL,

What frac did he leave from?
I couldn't tell you, I don't follow that stuff that closely. Somewhere down south.

Latest resources

Back