• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Terminated for Interviewing at JetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the HR world, we call at will the legal right to be arbitrary. But surprise = lawyers and lawyers= jury decisions. I call it the Janis Joplin rule of litigation: freedom's just another word for there's nothing left to lose.

The bottom line is that, with time comes a sense of entitlement. So the doctrine of at will is diffused.

If the OP was really let go for interviewing elsewhere, he or she is certainly entitled to unemployment benefits because that is not willful misconduct.

HR Diva

Dogwood said:
If they fired you, it doesn't say much for that company. They just showed you their true cards so it's probably for the best anyway.

DW

Unfortunately, this doesn't pay the mortgage or put food on the table for the 3-6 months he might be waiting for a class date.

I would certainly call JB and tell them what happened. Don't bad mouth your previous employer--just the facts. You need to keep them updated on your employment status anyway, so what could it hurt? Additionally, you took a risk to interview at JB because you wanted to work there. I think it shows a strong desire for the job, and should help you, not hurt you.

Good luck.

All of the armchair lawyering isn't going to help.

Advice from Cheryl Cage WILL help. My first instinct would be to ask EXACTLY what your termination letter says.

If you called in sick or otherwise ditched out of a trip and got busted non-revving to your interview or something similar, you're totally screwed. They had every right to fire you in that kind of scenario and jetBlue will, more than likely, find out about it.

If you were terminated simply for interviewing at JB, I ask the question: How did they find out? Again, what does the termination letter say?

Not enough information to give any kind of intelligent advice... other than get PROFESSIONAL help.

p.s. Danger Kitty, just because you live in an at-will state doesn't mean an employer can terminate you for any reason or say anything they want about you on a PRIA request. My attorney is working up a case against Flexjet and he's doing it completely on contingency because of some things a certain Chief Pilot has said and done. Flexjet is in TX, I'm in TN, both are at-will work states and my attorney (who usually bills at $250 an hour) would most certainly disagree with your blanket statement about termination for ANY reason without recourse.

Lear70 said:

Advice from Cheryl Cage WILL help. My first instinct would be to ask EXACTLY what your termination letter says.

If you called in sick or otherwise ditched out of a trip and got busted non-revving to your interview or something similar, you're totally screwed. They had every right to fire you in that kind of scenario and jetBlue will, more than likely, find out about it.

If you were terminated simply for interviewing at JB, I ask the question: How did they find out? Again, what does the termination letter say?

Not enough information to give any kind of intelligent advice... other than get PROFESSIONAL help.
I 100% agree with this advice.

Lear70 said:
p.s. Danger Kitty, just because you live in an at-will state doesn't mean an employer can terminate you for any reason or say anything they want about you on a PRIA request. My attorney is working up a case against Flexjet and he's doing it completely on contingency because of some things a certain Chief Pilot has said and done. Flexjet is in TX, I'm in TN, both are at-will work states and my attorney (who usually bills at $250 an hour) would most certainly disagree with your blanket statement about termination for ANY reason without recourse.

Lear,

Please re-read my past statements. I never said that there was not ANY recourse. You are putting words into my mouth. I never stated such. However, when dealing with Attorney's (who are billing by the hour) I take everything I hear with a grain of salt.

I could paint a wall bleach white and I guarantee you I could find many an attorney that would argue (at $250 an hour no less) that the painted wall was actually a cream color and not bleach white.

Lear70 said:
As we were driving to dinner tonight, I told my wife about this thread. First words out of her mouth was, "Did he call in sick to take the interview?"

(o) (o) said:
A guy in new-hire class with me at one of my past jobs had exactlly the same thing happen to him.

He didn't take it too hard since it qualified him for unemployment benefits, he was the only guy in class getting paid!!

Thats funny!

Employment law is pretty complex and the only way to get an up to date legal interpretation of your situation is to find an attorney who specializes in employment issues and deals with this kind of thing everyday. I have no idea if they would have good news or bad news for you and neither do most of the posters here either. Your not the first guy to be let go when your employer finds out you're looking for other work. Training is expensive and no one wants to waste cash on someone who is preparing to leave. Check with Cheryl C to see how JB might view this explanation.

Lear70 said:

p.s. Danger Kitty, just because you live in an at-will state doesn't mean an employer can terminate you for any reason or say anything they want about you on a PRIA request./quote]

Ok this is scary, I'm now agreeing with Lear twice in a night.

Latest resources

Back