Ted --- new name for UAL's Starfish

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
texanpilot said:
Wow Europe! You must be a REAL airline pilot.

OK, next time I'll lie about where I'm headed.

BTW good question about the other shuttle disasters. One that I'm sure will get no good response.

Still same old UAL (mis)management

This hare-brained scheme has almost no chance of succeeding, but I guess the UAL brass felt that had to do SOMETHING. They want to come out of BK but regardless of that the fact remains...sooner or later you have to start making a profit.

Someone said earlier it's just a matter of luck they're not a laid-off UAL pilot....they did not get called for an interview. Looking back, I feel glad I made the decision I did. In the late 90's and through 2000 I purposely made the decision NOT to apply to UAL even though I was very competitive on qualifications. Reason being was that I so strongly disagreed with UAL's out-of-control affirmative action hiring policies. I knew there was no way I wanted to work for a company like that, regardless what pay and benefits they were offering. I considered it a matter of integrity...and now thank God I thought the way I did...or I too would be asking "Would you like fries with that?"

IMHO United has a long way to go and I put her chances of survival around 50/50.

"BTW good question about the other shuttle disasters. One that I'm sure will get no good response."

Just wondering why TED will work and no other lower cost carrier within a fat airline failed miserably.

I wonder if that train wreck of a thread about airlines you love to hate has UAL on top because of the attitudes over there? Hmmmmm.

Sorry I couldn't chime in before your Highness left for Europe. However, perhaps you are correct about the attitude problems. They certainly have been a factor at UAL in the past. You would have fit right in.

It is laughable on what your money problems has to do with this "sideshow". Are you trying to tell me I should feel sorry for you?

LOL. No, thats OK BM! You do a much better job sticking your nose up in the air. I've got enough socked away if UAL tanks. But yes, you will still be much better off than I --- I know how important it is for you to be able to say that. Are you going to remind us again about what a business tycoon you are now? Or maybe you can tell us about taking the sideshow to Europe and paling around with Bethune.

UAL better prosper, or you're going to stuck flying that citation for a long, long time.

Oh, what a terrible thing that would be. Flying a Citation is so far below the life and style of the sideshow airline pilot. Can't buy the BMW doing that now can we? Plenty of pilots fly business jets for a living and are proud of it. I'm sure they would appreciate your take on it as being "stuck."

I don't have any problem with your position that UAL won't make it. I believe that is possible and the vast majority of the guys on the line believe it too. However, rarely do you back it up with factual information the way a professional analyst would. Sorry, talking to Gordon, like talking to Tilton, doesn't count as evidence either way. If you could make a fact based argument without tossing in the jabs, I would respect your opinion. Instead, you toss around the same type of superiority complex that you single out United for. Like I said, in that case you would have fit right in. All that attitude and you have seen BK twice. Amazing.

texanpilot, good question. UAL ain't a fat airline anymore. I'll relate it to the pilot stuff because that's what I know the most about. The Shuttle used to go up against Southwest mostly in Cali. During the dotcom boom of the 90s, the Shuttle was actually doing quite well - hard not to make money back then. Here's just one example of why it didn't work when the dotcom bubble busted. I'm no expert on how many pilots Southwest has per plane and they can correct me, but I'm going to guess 10.5 to 11. Because of UAL's work rules, we had closer to 16 or 17 pilots per plane! Vacation override does not exist anymore, but a lineholder could pretty much get a month off, even on the Shuttle, with 10 days of vacation. 5 or 6 extra guys per plane, all costing 10k or so a month when you factor in health care. Because UAL needs bunkies to fly oversees they will never get to 11 pilots a plane, but the domestic fleet will. 10700 pilots two year ago counting FEs - around 7000 next Spring. They are cutting the fat out of every part of the operation and that is the key. The question shoud be why does UAL need a LCO when the whole operation is low cost? And the answer is they want a fresh look and a new approach. Anybody who thinks this is 'the plan,' hasn't been paying attention at all.

"Taking a corporate jet? Heck no, I'm hopping on Ted tonight and gonna ride him all the way to San Fransisco! YEEHAW!!!"

Last edited:
TED

Is just United without the yoU and I

TED

The first thing that comes to my mind is Bill and Ted

If they are appealing to the mid 20's crowd, they could even have Keanu Reeves reprise his role in commercials or cardboard cutouts by the gate playing the air guitar.

woah Bill, this airline is totally EXCELLENT!!!

Latest resources

Back