Teamsters Vs Alpa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

suupah

What are the Advantages and/or disadvantages of Teamsters vs ALPA for regional airlines?

not sure if I know the differences. I know the teamsters in other industries that get the job done. This may be better then ALPA in that sort. And if all fails with the teamsters they have a few of those cement boots laying around. I want those boots on my side.

What are the Advantages and/or disadvantages of Teamsters vs ALPA for regional airlines?

Doesn't matter which one, the strengh of the pilot group is what matters. A union doesn't come in and give you stuff, it provides the pilots the resources to do it themselves.

What about in terms fringe bene's like ticket protection, medical recovery, loss of license insurance etc.

not sure if I know the differences. I know the teamsters in other industries that get the job done. This may be better then ALPA in that sort. And if all fails with the teamsters they have a few of those cement boots laying around. I want those boots on my side.

I agree... But before the cement boots.. its usually the horse head in the bed, dead animal in the mail box, or the occasional death threat.

Doesn't matter which one, the strengh of the pilot group is what matters. A union doesn't come in and give you stuff, it provides the pilots the resources to do it themselves.

It absolutely matters which one. The IBT is woefully ill-equipped to represent air line pilots. They don't have the experienced attorneys, the E & FA department, the Aeromed department, etc...

If you're a truck driver, then you can't do any better than the IBT. If you're an air line pilot, then there's only one real choice: the Air Line Pilots Association.

What about in terms fringe bene's like ticket protection, medical recovery, loss of license insurance etc.

The IBT contracts with ALPA to provide ticket protection, medical recovery, etc.

The other thing is if Colgan votes in the IBT, ALPA is going to steamroll the Colgan pilots to prove a point which is the stronger union. There is a lot of back door politicing going on between the IBT and ALPA with the Atlas/Polar stuff going on. If ALPA is voted in they are going to be much more willing to make sure the Colgan pilots are protected and show other groups which is the strongest union.

Colgan needs ALPA not the IBT.

Last edited:
The IBT contracts with ALPA to provide ticket protection, medical recovery, etc.

I wouldn't expect that to last much longer. With the antics of the former AAI MEC Chairman becoming the new IBT Airline Division President and trying to raid the union at Atlas, relations between the IBT and ALPA will turn even more sour, IMO.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back