• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Teamsters Push for Southern Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Concerning the vote on the resolution to merge with Teamsters Local 1224 the following certified results are official:

Total Eligible voters:***** 292

Total votes cast: 244***** (83.5%)
YES***** 217 yes (89% of actual voters)*****

NO 27

The Resolution is Passed.

Well at least it's not that POS 747 local, but it is the same bastard child

Glad its working out at Air Tran. I noticed right after Air Tran joined ALPA they got a pledged amount of $ for a strike fund almost immediately. Evergreen has been in talks longer than Air Tran...what about a pledged strike fund for EZ?

I doubt you've been in talks longer than us (over five years), but to the best of my knowledge, your MEC has never requested an MCF grant. You should call your MEC and ask about it. I guarantee you won't be turned down by the EXCL if your MEC requests it.

Perhaps. But for sheer entertainment, you just can't beat USAPA.:rolleyes:

PHXFLYR:cool:

Well, about the only thing I can point to on ALPA's score is we have a 6 months severance for all of us who are going to be shown the door shortly. That's about it. I agree about the power thing. They have none. They seem to me more interested in golf outings with manglement than doing what they are supposed to do. Like enforcing contracts, for example. ;) Or other things. Like having a sack.

IBT 1224 just negotiated 10 months full pay for the furloughed pilots at ABX but the rest of the pilot group really took it in the shorts. (Hvy I hate to say it but you were right we got creamed thanks to the 1224 E Board giving everything away!)

Last edited:
they gave nothing away! this money was earmarked for the severed pilots at ABX.........I guess nitefr8dog is one of the open flying jerks who couldnt get his overtime.

they gave nothing away! this money was earmarked for the severed pilots at ABX.........I guess nitefr8dog is one of the open flying jerks who couldnt get his overtime.

Actually, the DHL money as was testified before congress by DHL was "earmarked" for severance AND RETENTION. The pilots still flying did not receive anything! But besides that what I was talking about is the rest of the contract we lost in all area's. Working more, being paid less, frozen retirement, higher medical cost and a crappy plan. We got screwed even though the contract is not done and we have no job security going forward the Eboard decided the membership would be willing to start working the extra days NOW if the severance would be paid out.They should of thought to ask the pilot group first although we have plenty of sheep who will be glad to work extra days for no pay!

Last edited:
I did forget to mention on thing about the ALPA severance. That minimum of six months is for those of us who are still left flying, as extra pay and bennies once we are no longer needed. The guys who've been off since July from the 727 and the Bus are pay protected till Mar. 06, 2010. So there are varying degrees of how much extra bucks our guys are getting in this goat rope. So some (most) guys are going to be getting 10-11 months total in pay.

You guys need to look at a little bigger picture than just your own paycheck when it comes to unions. Without Alpa (and I don't know what influence teamsters has had) there would have been no CASS, no priority at security checkpoints (and a few "perks" that the general public does not have), no special crew lanes at some airports, no fight for better crew duty/rest rules, no push to get lithium batteies of cargo planes. Without unions the situation at quite a few companies out there would have been quite a bit worse for the employees. The few of us still fortunate to have a job would have been working for regional airline pay, fixing your own lunch box for every trip, sleeping in a motel 6 while management is pocketing the money (which most of them do anyway). I agree that even with a union the situation at a lot of companies is not rosy.

At the end of the day all the unions are cut from the same cookie cutter. You just have to take what you've got and run with it. When it comes to non legacies (and even within them to a certain extent), arguing over IBT, ALPA et al, is like a "mine is bigger than yours" argument - it goes no where and the result doesn't change.

Having been under ALPA, 747 and 1224, if anything 1224 has the edge I would have to say IMHO.

Latest resources

Back