• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Teamsters Push for Southern Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's been less than a month since we voted ALPA in and there are a large number of outstanding grievances, so I think it's a little early to judge.

ALPA has done an incredible job at reducing our grievance backlog at AirTran. We started with nearly 200 grievances, and many of those have now been favorably settled. We're down to about 40 cases going to arbitration, and about 60 more cases to go to System Board. Big improvement in just a few months.

ALPA has done an incredible job at reducing our grievance backlog at AirTran. We started with nearly 200 grievances, and many of those have now been favorably settled. We're down to about 40 cases going to arbitration, and about 60 more cases to go to System Board. Big improvement in just a few months.

Glad it's working out well for Airtran, but as an ex-Emery guy and having seen ALPA's dark side I'll have to wait for some results to see if things have changed since Duane Woerthless' reign. Just glad that 1224 no longer has their knife at our back.

I am not saying the IBT or 1224 is perfect, but, I have always though it came down to who would support a group during a time of labor problems, i.e. a strike. What is ALPA going to do to help you? DAL, etc going to stop flying your freight? Yeah, some guys will come out and walk the line with you, but when the rubber meets the road, if the freight doesn't move, the company loses money...bottom line. At least with the IBT you know your freight will not get put on a truck, moved by a truck, handled by another teamster, flown by any other IBT group, etc. Let's face it, your companies "revenue stream" is a lot closer to the IBT than anything ALPA has their hands near.

My other big gripe with ALPA was that if you weren't with DAL, NWA, USA, or the other legacies, you might as well kiss "fair" representation goodbye. ATI, etc will quickly realize that they are not in that category and do not get the same treatment as everyone else.

I truly hate the union vs. company thing but after 20 years of this, I know it is a necessary evil. Sad really. The flying part of the job is great, it's all the other political BS that really sucks!

I am not saying the IBT or 1224 is perfect, but, I have always though it came down to who would support a group during a time of labor problems, i.e. a strike. What is ALPA going to do to help you? DAL, etc going to stop flying your freight? Yeah, some guys will come out and walk the line with you, but when the rubber meets the road, if the freight doesn't move, the company loses money...bottom line. At least with the IBT you know your freight will not get put on a truck, moved by a truck, handled by another teamster, flown by any other IBT group, etc. Let's face it, your companies "revenue stream" is a lot closer to the IBT than anything ALPA has their hands near.

My other big gripe with ALPA was that if you weren't with DAL, NWA, USA, or the other legacies, you might as well kiss "fair" representation goodbye. ATI, etc will quickly realize that they are not in that category and do not get the same treatment as everyone else.

I truly hate the union vs. company thing but after 20 years of this, I know it is a necessary evil. Sad really. The flying part of the job is great, it's all the other political BS that really sucks!

Booger, I too hate the political crap we all put up with. However, if you can show me one instance of the IBT putting pressure on DHL, either air or ground, I'd appreciate it. All I've seen is a tiny bit of saber rattling then it's give back, give back, give back. And it's gotten the IBT precisely nowhere. I'm no great fan of ALPA either, but I don't see anything the IBT has done in regards to DHL that makes them any better.

We at SA had to try somthing, I guess if IBT dosent work then we can always go back to SACG.

Thanks for everyones input. Time will only tell!

We at SA had to try somthing, I guess if IBT dosent work then we can always go back to SACG.

Thanks for everyones input. Time will only tell!

Good luck to you guys fish! I just don't see either entity doing much good for anybody.

It appears three other carriers are exploring moving from ALPA in a serious fashion. Evergreen being one and they were Teamsters at one point, saw what ALPA did to them after moving over and are now going back to Teamsters. Say's a lot to me and having seen ALPA from the inside up in Herndon for nine years I can see why it's happening.

Really..what is your source. I work at Evergreen and have heard nothing or been asked to vote about going back to Teamsters.

Glad its working out at Air Tran. I noticed right after Air Tran joined ALPA they got a pledged amount of $ for a strike fund almost immediately. Evergreen has been in talks longer than Air Tran...what about a pledged strike fund for EZ?

Booger, I too hate the political crap we all put up with. However, if you can show me one instance of the IBT putting pressure on DHL, either air or ground, I'd appreciate it. All I've seen is a tiny bit of saber rattling then it's give back, give back, give back. And it's gotten the IBT precisely nowhere. I'm no great fan of ALPA either, but I don't see anything the IBT has done in regards to DHL that makes them any better.

I agree heavy, sadly. I have to ask what did ALPA do for you guys with DHL?

Unions v mgmt have sucked all the enjoyment out of an otherwise great job. I will miss the flying and the people, but I will NOT miss the constant, constant bs that has so markedly changed the piloting profession. ALPA, IBT, SWAPA, you name it, they all really have very little power in today's market.

I agree heavy, sadly. I have to ask what did ALPA do for you guys with DHL?

Unions v mgmt have sucked all the enjoyment out of an otherwise great job. I will miss the flying and the people, but I will NOT miss the constant, constant bs that has so markedly changed the piloting profession. ALPA, IBT, SWAPA, you name it, they all really have very little power in today's market.

Well, about the only thing I can point to on ALPA's score is we have a 6 months severance for all of us who are going to be shown the door shortly. That's about it. I agree about the power thing. They have none. They seem to me more interested in golf outings with manglement than doing what they are supposed to do. Like enforcing contracts, for example. ;) Or other things. Like having a sack.

Latest resources

Back