Talking with the PAX at a Frac.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SlipperyPete said:
netjetwife you are A HOOT! I tell ya, there's always entertainment somewhere on fltinfo.

I'm happy to help. Some of the NJ pilots tell me they read this board while they're sitting in FBOs or hotels--feeling bored. :)

Wolf, I'll add the same 2 cents to yours--fair is fair!

all i've ever seen is the rampers get tips from the pax.

You know what i'm talking about. You load and unload the plane the ramper shuts the trunk lid and he gets the 100.

Go figure.

DO-82 driver said:
GV.....our Ops Specs do not address the issue of tipping... .

What would Ops Specs have to do with tipping. The Feds don't care if you get tips. Seems to me it would be in a company policy manual, if anywhere.

Diesel said:

You know what i'm talking about. You load and unload the plane the ramper shuts the trunk lid and he gets the 100.

Go figure.

Man, if I had a dollar for every time thats happened....

Diesel said:

Go figure.

Although my husband has received some tips, he more often sees the same scenario you described, Diesel. You'd think the pax would have enough SA to realize who was doing the work. Yeah, Go Figure.

Seems to me that the company should stay out of it entirely. It's a private expression of appreciation from the pax to the flight crew. Of course, if the companies wanted to point out that their pilots were so badly paid that tips would be used to supplement the pilot's low wages, that'd be helpful. :) Instead, when the subject is addressed by the company (at least at NJA) the practice is discouraged. After all, they're anxious to perpetuate the myth that their pilots are all professionally compensated. They can do something about low wages. They just choose not to.

netjetwife said:
Although my husband has received some tips, he more often sees the same scenario you described, Diesel. You'd think the pax would have enough SA to realize who was doing the work. Yeah, Go Figure.

Seems to me that the company should stay out of it entirely. It's a private expression of appreciation from the pax to the flight crew. Of course, if the companies wanted to point out that their pilots were so badly paid that tips would be used to supplement the pilot's low wages, that'd be helpful. :) Instead, when the subject is addressed by the company (at least at NJA) the practice is discouraged. After all, they're anxious to perpetuate the myth that their pilots are all professionally compensated. They can do something about low wages. They just choose not to.

Tell me about it. Just like when I flew RTS and his baggage compartment full of golf clubs and personal shiznit. We bust our asses, unload the bags, walk them over to the car and he whips out some crisps Benjamins and give em right to the lineguys right in front of our faces. It was no coincidence especially being during contract negotiations. How come these fuc*in line guys are always there when you are unloading the plane but never when you are loading it? I bet they don't get offended to get tips.

as214 said:
Tell me about it. Just like when I flew RTS and his baggage compartment full of golf clubs and personal shiznit. We bust our asses, unload the bags, walk them over to the car and he whips out some crisps Benjamins and give em right to the lineguys right in front of our faces. It was no coincidence especially being during contract negotiations. How come these fuc*in line guys are always there when you are unloading the plane but never when you are loading it? I bet they don't get offended to get tips.

This is a whole different thread. I hate that. After they get their hundred dollars, they disappear. Line guys sometimes forget that WE are thier customers, our PAX are OUR customers.

stealthh

That was a good way to put it! I agree. They need to keep straight who's customer it is, and who's serving who. My husband tells me the pilots tip the line guys for helping them and servicing the plane. Wanna bet who makes more money? The line guy or an FO? And I have no doubt that RTS was being deliberately rude to the pilots....on second thought....maybe he was just showing his normal lack of respect for them, without even thinking about it. Wrong no matter which way it was. When I hear things like that, I'm glad I'm "just" a wife..:) and not a pilot.

GVFlyer said:
...at two of my subsequent positions the company Ops Manuals have specifically prohibited the acceptance of gratuities...

GV

At our company, UT, the acceptance of gratuities is prohibited as well. I bet that those companies, like ours, were corporate flight departments.

netjetwife said:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer
quote=GVFlyer]I could facetiously say... that I'm still doing what the military trained me to do. There are no F16s at NJA, so my husband works w/1108 for his challenge. I was in the military VIP community for many years with domestic and overseas postings. I served my final six years at Andrews AFB. When I was in a military uniform no senior officer, politician, or foreign dignitary would have dreamed of offering me a gratuity. Nor should they have as all additional duties were in your job description to begin with. I have never expected that to be any different in my civilian uniform. According to the etiquette experts, you should have. Your duties are clearly defined as a civilian pilot and are much more limited in scope compared to your role as a representative of the military.

NJW

NetJetsWife you are amazing! Here is a guy that's a career VIP pilot who finished his military service with six years at the most prestigious executive aviation organization on the planet and you're telling him he's doing his job wrong based on your vast personal experience in his field and something you read in an etiquette book that surely doesn't have a chapter on tipping your Gulfstream Captain and his crew. Not only is that condescending but it is also incredibly arrogant.

Who's going to try to tip a guy that making a quarter of a million bucks a year anyways?

SS

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back