• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Talking with the PAX at a Frac.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GV.....our Ops Specs do not address the issue of tipping...RTS did that for us in several letters to the owners in years past explaining we were the highest paid in the industry. (Cough!!! Cough!!! Cough!!!)

Today, in some cases that's a diffrent story.

If offered a tip, I politely look at the person and say with a certain degree of conviction..."That's not necessary" If they insist....I gracious accept it and say...."Thank you very much".

Mind you...its not like we're getting tips everyday and since the ratification of the CBA I haven't been offered a tip. The times that I did receive a tip was usually in conjunction with going above and beyond OUTSIDE of the cockpit. Going out of my way to do something that wasn't clearly in my job description. Like grabbing a crew car and driving an owner to an airline terminal when no one else was available....stuff like that.

These people don't view us as a physicains, lawyers or other similiar professionals....They see us a limo drivers or some other service-industry provider.

If they saw us on par with a physician do you thing they would carry on like little brats when informed the plane is broke or TEB has a ground stop?

I don't particularly care how they view me....It means absolutely nothing to me. I am assigned a flight and I will do it to the best of my abilty regardless of who or what is in the cabin.

If I get a tip fine.....I take it and spilt it with my crew member.

GVFlyer said:
When I was in a military uniform no senior officer, politician, or foreign dignitary would have dreamed of offering me a gratuity. They respected me as the professional pilot and military officer that I was.
~

I bet you're a load of fun to fly with. :rolleyes:

Baja.

GVFlyer said:
quote=GVFlyer]..... I'm still doing what the military trained me to do. There are no F16s at NJA, so my husband works w/1108 for his challenge. When I was in a military uniform no senior officer, politician, or foreign dignitary would have dreamed of offering me a gratuity. Nor should they have as all additional duties were in your job description to begin with. I have never expected that to be any different in my civilian uniform. According to the etiquette experts, you should have. Your duties are clearly defined as a civilian pilot and are much more limited in scope compared to your role as a representative of the military.

On another level, at two of my subsequent positions the company Ops Manuals have specifically prohibited the acceptance of gratuities. They probably thought that pax wealthy enough to afford private flying would have "worldly" knowledge sufficient enough to determine for themselves when a tip was warranted. For companies that underpay their pilots, it does rather have a way of informing the pax that the pilots are not compensated at the professional standards they'd expect them to be. Just because it wasn't there, doesn't mean it isn't right.

On a personal level, I consider myself to be a professional just as an airline captain is or as is a doctor or a lawyer. Agreed, as are all frac pilots. You all deserve professional wages. I would never consider trying to push an envelope with a tip enclosed under the reinforced cockpit door for the 777 captain who had just given me a smooth flight to Paris. Correct decision as there were FAs paid to attend to the needs of the pax. Apples and oranges argument. Nor would I attempt to slip a Benjamin into the hand of a cruise ship captain at the completion of a particularly nice Caribbean cruise. Exactly. Same rule applies there, as well. I have also never considered tipping my doctor for a good surgical procedure or my dentist for a nice cap or my lawyer for executing a legal document professionally. I think they would be insulted.

I have no idea, but certainly they'd be surprised as tipping them for doing nothing but their job is not in accordance with society's rules. Pilots are not tipped when they have only flown the plane. Worldly pax tip pilots for the services rendered that go beyond flying the plane. Handling luggage, serving refreshments, taking care of pets, making ground transportation arrangements, etc., are the examples of services pilots may be tipped for by pax that appreciate the special attention.

Refusing to accept a token of appreciation sincerely given would be extremely rude and may cause embarrassment to the pax who only wished to express their thanks in a socially acceptable manner. You earned it. They know it. Smile and say "thank you".
NJW

GV,

Your posts are usually an accurate and sane voice of reason on this board but this time (I can't believe I'm typing this) DO-82 is correct. Years ago, or so the story goes, we had a greybeard with your mindset on tips. He was offered a tip from an appreciative client and repeatedly refused the tip in such a disdainful and rude fashion that the offended owner went right up the chain of command. It wasn't long thereafter that the letter to which DO-82 refers went out.

My policy, and the policy of most of our flight crews is to graciously decline the first offer of a tip and then politely accept when offered again (which they invariably do). Although tips are rare in our operations, they do occur and usually from the same, well-known clients. Any tips are always shared amongst the entire crew although some pilots insist the flight attendant take the entire gratuity.

I consider myself a white-collar professional and will perform my duties to the best of my abilities regardless of the possibility of a gratuity. Some of our clients are happy to show their appreciation to the flight crews and I am not about to insult them or their gesture.

GSD, thanks for sharing your experience. I had no personal knowledge of such an outcome, but could easily anticipate that very thing happening, given the attitude toward tipping that some here have expressed. I can't imagine any of the pilots expecting to be tipped, and assume they are only trying to please the pax, as you do. I see it as nothing but common sense and good manners to say "You're welcome" when one is thanked. Regardless of the form that may take.

gutshotdraw said:
Any tips are always shared amongst the entire crew although some pilots insist the flight attendant take the entire gratuity.

Maybe you should tell the F.A.'s that. I cant tell you the times I've been in the back slinging bags out the door, look through the cabin and see Mr. "Big Bucks" slide sweetie a handful of greenbacks; only to watch her pocket the wad and never tell me or the Captain a thing about it.

It doesnt make me mad, I agree they deserve it for all the 'service' stuff. HOWEVER... dont expect me to post flight, vaccum, do the head liner, take the trash out, help restock and drag your 100 pd. bag into the FBO after watching you pull a fast one!

Just my .02cents

BV,

I know it happens from time to time but I've never unequivocally busted an FA red-handed. I'd like to think it isn't a common thing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back