• Friendliest aviation community on the web

Take a Vote: Go or Stay

• Go

Votes: 78 83.0%
  • Stay

Votes: 16 17.0%

• Total voters
F16fixer said:
I hear ya. I feel the past 6 months though in the 200, have made me a better pilot. There is two groups out there. Ones who think that sole-manipulator time is credible and ones who wouldn't touch it. I see where both are coming from, but it is legal and sometimes a guy doesn't have many breaks so he takes whatever multi-time he can get.

shamrock said:
IMHO, that sole manipulator PIC time seems iffy at best.

Nothing "iffy" about it nor will it come back to haunt you. It is a no-brainer that the time that you are flying the aircraft in the 200 that you should indeed be logging this as PIC time. You are only cheating yourself should you decide otherwise but do as you wish.

As for the 350, speak to the company and see if you are able to use the other company to get the type at a fraction of the cost of going to a FSI/Simcom.

say again said:
The 350 is certified for single pilot ops. It might have been that the company you work for requires a 2 pilot crew.

it is, but you need the "no sic req'd" endorsement on your rating to fly single pilot. many companies that operate always with two pilots may not require that endorsement. (the checkride just requires you do do it all yourself and it is just too much effort for many to bother with it) :)

OK, so no type required on the 200. You don't need the high altitude endorsement to log PIC as Corona mentioned. That is only for acting as PIC. You're not acting. But I wouldn't touch that PIC for the 350 w/o the type.

Mr. I.

I just found a good answer that I was looking for under FAR part 23. It states that if you have over 9 seats in the plane it requires an SIC. A 350 with 9 or less is available for the one pilot type.

Thanks for all the help again everybody.

F16fixer said:
I just found a good answer that I was looking for under FAR part 23. It states that if you have over 9 seats in the plane it requires an SIC. A 350 with 9 or less is available for the one pilot type.

Where in Part 23 does it specify that?

A Squared said:
Where in Part 23 does it specify that?

F16Fixer is absolutely correct... if the King Air 350 has more then 9 passenger seats then it requires 2 pilots (regardless of the number of actual passengers).

This is actually much, much better than your King Air 200 time. Despite what some other poster said, you should absolutely never log any SIC time in a 200. Please please don't do it. I have seen people kicked out of airline interviews for it. Only log the sole manipulator PIC time.

SIC time in an 11 seat 350 is however perfectly legit.

To answer A Squared:

The requirement for 2 crewmembers is not actually in Part 23. Part 23 does however specify the workload requirements on each crewmember that must be considered for certifying commuter category aircraft. Advisory Circular 23.1523 then spells out in more depth the certification program requirements for determining minimum flight crew.

Apparently, when the aircraft was certified, 2 crewmembers were determined to be the minimum to meet the requirements.
§ 23.1523 Minimum flight crew.

The minimum flight crew must be established so that it is sufficient for safe operation considering—

(a) The workload on individual crewmembers and, in addition for commuter category airplanes, each crewmember workload determination must consider the following:

(1) Flight path control,

(2) Collision avoidance,

(3) Navigation,

(4) Communications,

(5) Operation and monitoring of all essential airplane systems,

(6) Command decisions, and

(7) The accessibility and ease of operation of necessary controls by the appropriate crewmember during all normal and emergency operations when at the crewmember flight station;

(b) The accessibility and ease of operation of necessary controls by the appropriate crewmember; and

(c) The kinds of operation authorized under §23.1525.

Stay, stay stay, stay.....
I think you are pushing your luck here.
You're flying King Air right seat with 400 hrs.
You have any idea how long it would take you to find something similar?
Try a couple more years and another 1000hrs+.
Even if you can't log it you're flying a 350. DUH...
Change the tune before they ask you to leave.
See it this way; fly a 350 that you cannot log or fly a C150 for another 1000hrs that you can log.
Easy choice to me.

F16fixer said:

Thanks for all the help again everybody.
Hey! I forgot about that one! If your new 350 has the aft baggage seats, you will be a required crewmember, and loging sic is OK. Oddly enough, the 300 is certified under SFAR 41c instead of part 23 and you can fly it single pilot with 10 passenger seats. Why? Who knows.

The endorsement on the type rating is "SIC Required" not "SIC Not Required" as some have posted. My type (single pilot) just says BE-300. It covers the 300 and the B300 (350). The guys in school who weren't doing very well were recommended to get the "SIC Required" type, and then have it removed by taking a single pilot ride at recurrent...

F16er, I didn't know about the pay for your replacement on your sick day thing when we communicated the other day. That's just plain WRONG!

Kingairrick said:
The endorsement on the type rating is "SIC Required" not "SIC Not Required" as some have posted. My type (single pilot) just says BE-300. It covers the 300 and the B300 (350).

this is true...my bad :)

There's a quick fix to the whole high alt endorsement deal, your b200 never goes above FL250, right? The 350 can be certified single pilot just like the 1900 can be certified single pilot. When I interviewed with other companies the high alt thing never came up. I got it when I upgraded and our sim instr. said hey you want it, wink, wink.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back