• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Take a Vote: Go or Stay

• Go

Votes: 78 83.0%
  • Stay

Votes: 16 17.0%

• Total voters
That might have been someone just talking about High altitude endors. I have all the required ratings and endorsements. The plane does go to FL280.

Last edited:
I understand what your saying, but I'm not getting any younger. I just have to decide if I want to basically take a year off from aviation since I WON'T be logging any time. While if I don't take the job I could be earning time just like everyone else is by flying small singles for another 500-600 hrs and be employable. Does that make any since?

Tired Soul said:
Stay, stay stay, stay.....
I think you are pushing your luck here.
You're flying King Air right seat with 400 hrs.
You have any idea how long it would take you to find something similar?
Try a couple more years and another 1000hrs+.
Even if you can't log it you're flying a 350. DUH...
Change the tune before they ask you to leave.
See it this way; fly a 350 that you cannot log or fly a C150 for another 1000hrs that you can log.
Easy choice to me.

What are your future plans? Do you want to build time to go to a regional?

If ultimately you just want the hours quickly, fly slow planes. Instruct. Enjoy the year and look for an airline seat when you get the time.

If you want to stay on the corporate side of things, take the job and start looking for something better while you are employed.

Is the current pilot getting a single pilot type? If not, you'd log legal SIC time in the 350. The reason I ask, is that they were going to send you to school. Not bashing, but this sounds like a pretty cheap operation. There would be no monetary benefit to them sending you to sim training. There would be no insurance break if they flew it single pilot some and crew sometimes. As far as insurance, it's one or the other.

If the insurance company is mandating 2 pilots, be careful. Most policies state that for the 2 crew rate, the SIC must have had approved school within the past 12 months. If you accept the gig, try to get rid of the 'you pay for the day pilot' clause. There are not many guys that have been to 350 school in the last year that would be willing to work for less than $450 a day.

As far as the value of logging time, that's a tough one that only you can answer. I can only speak for myself, but here are my thoughts on time. We operate King Airs.

Say 2 applicants come in. #1 is a flight instructor with 1100 hours. #2 is an instructor with 600 hours in his/her logbook. #2 also presents 500 hours worth of aircraft flight logs, with their name as SIC, and a couple of Flight Safety recurrent certificates. In my mind, #2 is the stronger applicant for any job that requires 2 pilots and sim training. Notwithstanding what the FAA or the airlines think, I'd view #2 as an 1100 hour pilot with some experience, and someone who has been in a structured training environment.

Before people that know me start sending resumes, we can't hire low time guys.

Good luck. I do think the pay for your replacement garbage would be a deal killer.

Last edited:
The job sounds like your average low budget turboprop right up to the sick day policy...then you lose me...how can they just pick any off the street replacement and expect you to pay, and on the other hand expect you to br typed....why do you need a type rating to fly right seat in that aircraft??? The salary alone seems reasonable, but the sick leave, and vacation are something that need to be looked at for sure....go to a regional, eat the initial pay cut, but look at yourself 5 years down the road...

Are the regionals hiring 500 hour pilots? My god, I'm glad I don't fly on those things.

Guys I don't think the regionals will be hiring me anytime soon, so don't worry!

Thanks everyone for all your help and I thought I would let you know that I put in my 2 weeks today. Landed a flight instructor job this morning. Time to get into teaching 100%. I think it was the best choice I could have made. My ultimate goal is the airlines and I wouldn't feel comfortable walking in with 500 hrs of sole-manipulator time. The guy I fly with needs 350 time for insurance, so it would be illegal anyway! That just came out in a discussion yesterday.

Take care everyone and I think we can close this subject up.

Until my next dilema,

Luke

TurboS7 said:
The King Air 350 is certified under Part 25.

Actually, it is certificated under Part 23 and SFAR 41C

Thurman Merman said:
There's a quick fix to the whole high alt endorsement deal, your b200 never goes above FL250, right?
Ummmm, no, it doesn't matter how high you go, if the airplane's max operating altitude is more than 25,000 you need the endorsemsnt to act as PIC.

You don't need the endorsement to log PIC as sole manipulator though.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back