Take a Vote: Go or Stay

• Go

Votes: 78 83.0%
  • Stay

Votes: 16 17.0%

• Total voters

F16fixer

What is your opinion on this situation.
Your a low time instructor that also flys right seat in a King Air 200. The company is going to be trading off the 200 for a King Air 350. A type rating is required for the 350 and they don't want to spend the money on typing you also! Would you stick around for a year and fly right seat and not be able to log a single hour of time or move on? The salary is $24,000 AND $30 a day per-diem. No schedule you just fly when ever they need you. Usually 3-4 times a week and some weekends. Mostly overnights. If you get sick you have to pay for a replacement out of your salary and there is no vacation days or sick days. Your vacation days are the days your not working! The chief pilot is giving you a hard time about wanting to quit and doesn't like the idea. Can't figure out why you would want to give a gig like this up. The people you fly are very friendly and it is a good company in all other aspects.

Thanks for your opinions and trash talk away!

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you're getting bent.

I'd re-evaluate your definition of "a good company," if I were you.

Just my $.02.

Tell them to type you or you will quit. The job sucks anyway so what do you have to lose if they say no.

So you're saying right seat time in a 200 is loggable, but in the 350 it's not? Are you logging PIC in the 200? A type rating is only required for the PIC, so why would that affect you in the right seat of the 350?

I'm just a little confused. Does the 350 require 2 pilots? Unless it does, it seems to me that SIC time in the 200 or the 350 would be equally useful (useless?) in the long run. There's no need for a type rating either way.

I do get to fly the 200 quite a bit from the right seat. Under the sole-manipulator rules I log PIC when I fly. I just don't think a person can do that legally in the 350 because it requires a type. Maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
Hey guys, thanks for all the comments. I wasn't sure if anyone else had ever dealt with the (pay for your replacement issue before.)

shamrock said:
So you're saying right seat time in a 200 is loggable, but in the 350 it's not? Are you logging PIC in the 200? A type rating is only required for the PIC, so why would that affect you in the right seat of the 350?

I'm just a little confused. Does the 350 require 2 pilots? Unless it does, it seems to me that SIC time in the 200 or the 350 would be equally useful (useless?) in the long run. There's no need for a type rating either way.

The company could type the pilot with the restriction that he needs an sic. I know that is one of the possibilities. If that happens then there is a need for a required sic.

Latest resources

Back