Tab express

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
172driver

Don't worry, there aren't any guys sitting in the back of TAB King Airs logging time to take a job away from you. Every TAB King Air instructor is a retired/furloughed/active 121 airline pilot already. That is for insurance purposes and probably for "sales/marketing" spin.

When I get a line-check at my airline, the check airman sits on the jumpseat and observes me and the first officer fly a regular flight. I don't know whether he "logs" flight time in his logbook or not. But, he sure does get paid for it. That's sort of what I'm doing at TAB.

I reviewed a bunch of info on the FAA website, particularly a big file of FAQ's, and here are some pertinent sections.

Bob the TriDriver

Reference §61.1(b)(12)(iii), YES, that time an authorized instructor gives training in an aircraft,
flight simulator, or flight training device may be credited as pilot time. Note, “pilot time” and “flight time” are
NOT synonymous.

There is quite a lot of discussion in the FAQ's about "being" PIC as opposed to "logging" PIC, as well as the above "pilot time" vs. "flight time" discussion.

Sec. 61.195
Flight instructor limitations and qualifications.
A person who holds a flight instructor certificate is subject to the following limitations:
(a) ...

(g) Position in aircraft and required pilot stations for providing flight training.
(1) A flight instructor must perform all training from in an aircraft that complies with the requirements of Sec. 91.109 of this chapter.
(2) A flight instructor who provides flight training for a pilot certificate or rating issued under this part must provide that flight training in an aircraft that meets the following requirements--
(i) The aircraft must have at least two pilot stations and be of the same category, class, and type, if appropriate, that applies to the pilot certificate or rating sought.

This would seem to indicate that to log CFI time, you must be at a pilot station.

Here's an interesting discussion about "Safety Pilot" time, that says the FAA agrees that, without a doubt, a safety pilot is a "required crewmember" and both pilots can log PIC:

QUESTION: Is it true that a qualified pilot can log pilot-in-command time for all flight time during which he
acts as a required safety pilot per 14 CFR §91.109?
ANSWER: Yes, the safety pilot can log the time as PIC time in accordance with §61.51(e)(ii) which states ". .
. regulations under which the flight is conducted."

QUESTION: In the December 1997 edition of "AOPA PILOT," specifically page 22, "AOPA ACCESS," the
question was asked: "If I am flying as a safety pilot, can I log that time as pilot in command?" AOPA's answer is:
"Yes. There had been talk during the rewrite process of changing this to specify only second-in-command time, but
the final rule left logable safety pilot PIC time intact. Requirements remain being rated in category and class. You
are allowed to log safety pilot PIC time
because your eyes are required for aircraft safety and therefore you become
a required crewmember. The pilot under the hood can also log PIC time as 'sole' manipulator of the controls."
§61.51(f)(2) seems pretty clear about safety pilots logging SIC rather than PIC time. What does AOPA know that
we don't???
ANSWER: Yes, the time can be logged as PIC. Reference §61.51(e)(1)(ii): The safety pilot, who meets the
qualifications set forth in §91.109(b) may log it as PIC time because §61.51(e)(1)(ii) states, in pertinent part, ". . .
the regulations under which the flight is conducted. Note, we say "may" but he "may" prefer to log it as SIC time.
Your understanding is probably based on the preamble discussion on page 16250, middle column, of the Federal
Register (62 FR 16250; April 4, 1997). We would highly recommend that you also read the preamble discussion
on page 16250, first column, of the Federal Register (62 FR 16250; April 4, 1997).
Reference §61.51(e)(1)(i): The other pilot manipulating the controls, and who meets the qualifications set forth in
§91.109(a)(2) and (b)(3)(ii) may log it as PIC time because §61.51(e)(1)(i) states, in pertinent part, "Is the sole
manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated;"

Another interesting point-of-view was brought up by the FAA in this statement:

ANSWER: Ref. § 61.159(a)(4); In answering these questions below, I am going to preference my answers by
saying that in all the FARs, there has to be an acceptance that most pilots are going to be honest. It is a fact that
most of our rules are based on pilots being agreeable to operate in good faith and in compliance with the FARs and
are people of integrity. And I believe I am safe in saying that there are very, very few fraud enforcement cases in
comparison to the pilot population at large, that most of our pilot population are honest and are people of integrity
(and even our legal data base would prove this to be true).

Also, while it appears a CFI should be at a pilot station, they don't even have to have a medical to log CFI time:

QUESTION: Question regarding 61.51(e)(3) and 61.23(b)(5)-- Can a CFI who is exercising the privileges of a
flight instructor certificate under 61.23(b)(5) log PIC even though he or she does not have a valid medical
certificate.
ANSWER: Ref. §61.51(e)(3): Yes, the CFI may log it as PIC time. As I have stated in the past the rules are
different between "logging PIC time" under §1.1 vs. "acting as the PIC" under §61.51(e)(3). The CFI cannot "act as
the PIC" without a medical certificate, but he or she can certainly "log it as PIC time."

I agree that the CFI should be sitting at one of the two required dual pilot stations but the reg does not say that. It says he may give instruction from in an aircraft that meets the 91.109 requirements (dual pilot stations). Some interpret this as the back seat. I would never do it but it is SOP at many large flight schools. I never said Tab did anything like this but was curious.

It's hard not to suppress a chuckle when reading this thread.

A close friend of mine used to work there and we laugh when we see the flying ad.

Let's see tab's safety record out of VRB before they moved.

Landing a couple of them gear up on the runway.

Lost a couple of engines due to poor mx.

A bunch of other stuff happened it's all pretty funny.

BUT now they have airline pilots flying them so it has all changed... Riiiiiggght

Diesel

I've read on a number of other threads about a lot of other flight schools. A lot of people have opinions on whether a particular training outfit has gone downhill or has improved over a period of time - and that goes for FBO's and full blown academies.

Gee, is it just possible that TAB has changed some from when it was at VRB a couple years ago? I don't know anything about the place then. The website has a bunch of foreign airline logos on it. I've assumed they may have done some ab-initio training for some of those companies. At any rate, they moved, they changed the program, they've got an entirely different bunch of people there, and I like the concept of the operation, the maintenance, and the students. I don't like the website marketing spin because there is no bridge program with any airline (at this time). I think they did have a hook-up with Eagle last year, but 9-11 did that in.

I'm just a line flying instructor at TAB. I'm not trying to sell it to anybody. I don't need a job anywhere other than my major airline job. If TAB weren't a good place to work, I'd be outa there in a minute. Maybe you think it's a joke that they have some of us airline types there, but the insurance company likes it. You say they had gear-up landings at VRB, and maybe we'll have some at DED. I've never had one in the several hours I've been flying, but I'm certainly not immune to it ever happening to me.

The reason I started posting to this thread was to clear up what I think are some misconceptions about the place. I think you may have some based on what the place was like a couple years ago in a different location.

As far as your contempt for airline pilots being there doing the King Air flying, I'm sorry you feel that way. Your words indicate that you look up from your 172 at a 737 and have no regard for the professionalism of the crew in it. I hope that someday when it's the other way, when you are looking down on a Brasilia or RJ from your 777 cockpit, that you don't discount them as professionals because they're flying a smaller airplane than you. I hope you never lose your love of flying. I would hope all that are as fortunate as I've been in my career might want to continue to instruct and develop the next generation of pilots and contribute to the profession.

TriDriver Bob

Talk is cheap

Sharpeye

Talk is cheap guy, its very too easy say xyz schools CEO took money from the piggy bank and got fired. If you heard it from a reliable source, whos your source ? The guy who heard it from another good source? Show me some facts.....
If he did do it there would be a paper trail a mile long. But here in S FL nothing suprises me anymore.

Diesel,

I have looked thru the last 5yrs of FAA Accidents iand see 1 or 2 minor accidents with TE nothing more or less than any other flight school. Show me the " Bunch " of other Stuff your talking about Show me the Money !!!!!

Again i want Facts not Fiction

c601- Look up- VEC CORPORATION DBA I asked my buddy about a couple of tail numbers and he emailed me n171te and n190jl

As far as your contempt for airline pilots being there doing the King Air flying, I'm sorry you feel that way. Your words indicate that you look up from your 172 at a 737 and have no regard for the professionalism of the crew in it.

This makes me chuckle. I do look up from a 172 and wonder if I can get some instruction from the cool guy in the airliner.

You said yourself your just trying to clear up some misconceptions of tebex. So am I.

This aircraft crashed in haiti 1 person killed. At that time N171TE was reg'ed to BPI, whats that got to do with TE ?

291198 Beechcraft Queen Air B90 BPI Aerospace Haïti 0/1 N171TE (1998)

N190JL

Its owned by APA ENTERPRISES INC ????

As far as i can see none of the above aircraft have anything to do with there flight training school side

Stop asking your buddy and YOU !!! show me the facts, becuase right now you might as well be pissing againest the wind lol

Latest resources

Back