Tab express

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't pick up the TAB (sorry)

Take a look at this thread , as one example of the many discussions about TAB Express. And, too, run a search on P-F-T. You'll get all the input you need about the place.

I've flown with a few TAB express pilots and with the limited experience they have, fly very well. As a matter of fact, they generally fly much better than the gulfstream pilots I've flown with.

Do what is right for you.

TAB Express

Hi 310

I've been lurking on this forum for a month or so, and I've been surprised at the snide PFT remarks being thrown at TAB Express unfairly. I decided it's time I registered and responded.

As was pointed out to you, check out http://www.tabexpress.com and see if the place has the kind of program you want. I assure you there is no PFT going on there other than you would find at Comair, FSI, or any FBO. You pay for your flight training, and that is it. There is no passenger/freight/cargo hauling on any flights. TAB Express is nothing but a flight school. You can go from no flight time to Comm/ME/Inst just like any number of FBO's or "Academies".

An Army helicopter guy recently trained there and got hired by Colgan. He had a good amount of total flight time, got his basic fixed-wing Comm/ME/Inst somewhere else, and found that with very little fixed-wing time, he was not really hirable anywhere. He came to TAB and took a course that got him a bunch of King Air simulator and (I think) 25 hours of flight time. I don't call that PFT. Just like Timebuilder said in another thread, he might get a Lear type someday. It can be used anywhere. This guy got some ME time in a pressurized turbine airplane flying in a multi-crew environment on the airways in a bunch of actual weather. He could use that for any corporate/airline job. Colgan liked that and hired him. TAB has no connection with Colgan, although they might like to. Colgan came down and looked at the operation several months ago. They hired about 4 students with 450 to 500 total hours. The students had to go through the entire Colgan training (and reportedly did great). They don't get any credit for anything they've done at TAB. There is no PFT aspect to the training at all.

THERE IS NO PFT GOING ON AT TAB EXPRESS!!

The only difference is that there is no emphasis (not even a program if you want it) to get a CFI. Therein lies the TAB Express difference. The philosophy of the place is that if you want to fly for an airline, why not train like you're going to fly. Instead of continuing on for a CFI, you continue your training by getting a bunch King Air simulator time, and 100 hours of actual flight time in the King Air. All of it is multi-crew/CRM/exactly like the airlines.

How do I know? I'm a captain for Delta, and I instruct part-time at TAB in the King Airs, and I guarantee you I would not associate myself with anyplace that did anything unscrupulous in any manner. I feel PFT was a scourge on the industry. There currently are not many PFT places left. Gulfstream is probably one, depending on your definition. On another thread on this board there is a discussion about Southwest. I am really surprised that the hard-core anti-PFTers that will quickly get overly righteous and indignant about PFT, they are for the most part perfectly comfortable with the Southwest type-rating requirement. I am too.

I will try and frequent this forum and answer questions about TAB Express, or anything else about flying. I'm just a "line pilot" there and not trying to sell the place to anybody, but I work there because I like the concept and the operation. I've got 2-1/2 years until age 60, and I started working at TAB this spring to develop it into a retirement job. I only do some sim training and mostly actual King Air training - what the company bills as LOFT or IOE flying under the tutelage of some of us airline types (we've got about 3 furloughed Delta guys working there right now). So, I might not have answers about the primary training readily available, but I can tell you about the King Air part of the program.

Fire away!!!
Bob, the TriDriver

P.S.: Timebuilder, I couldn't get into college either and had to go to a "trade school" and get a military education as you did!!! USMA '70

Bob,

As a line captain for Colgan, I can attest to the quality product that comes out of TAB Express. I went through upgrade as those 4 you mentioned were going through initial. They breezed through ground school, and did very well in the sim. I've flown with a 2 of them in the past few months and I can't say enough.

Definitely a quality school.

TriDriver,

Thanks for the response. I have about 850+ TT, about half is multi-engine (moslty Cessna 310). I am 40 yrs old, no degree. I am looking at the 1000/100 program at TAB. I need sim time (I have none) and all the other airline classes. Do I realistically have any chance of a FO seat in the near future? Any other info about TAB's 1000/100 program gladly accepted. Thanks. ( I will bring my TT up to 1000 in my twin.)

TAB charters

Good post, Bob.

What about the news release that TAB put on its website a few months ago in which it said it had applied for a 135 operating certificate and that TAB students would be the FOs on those flights? If those students are operating as required crew, they are taking away away a paying job from someone. That is P-F-T. Or, if they're just warming the right seat, that is also P-F-T and the time logged may be questionable.

Now, if TAB never obtained the 135 certificate and is not operating revenue flights, that's another matter.

I would say that TAB is greatly misrepresenting the need for pilots. This quote from TAB's website:

Your timing is right! According to the US Government and industry insiders, and a recent article written by the Journal of Commerce: "The airline industry will face a critical shortage of pilots, and mechanics during the next decade and may no longer be able to rely on traditional sources to supply them. The demand for experienced pilots will remove the supply of workers entering the labor force.

is classic Kit Darby pilot shortage promotion. Even in bad times, such as now and ten years ago, the time with which I am most familiar, there is always some hiring. Even when the economy improves, it'll take a couple of years for the airlines to absorb its furloughees. So, it might take several years during that "critical decade" before there are airline openings for TAB trainees, and others.

Once again, good post. Your information has furthered this discussion. Your opinions of P-F-T are also appreciated.

Last edited:
TAB

TAB is a flight school Bobby, period.

They also are an FBO and maintenance facility. In addition, one part of the company acutally dry leases Kin Airs to companies.

Whether TAB has a 135 or not, it is a flight school period. Even if they took a passenger, they are not taking anything from anybody because they only exist as a flight school/

I think the reason that they even messed with the 135 was to have a place where their students could go and work for pay if they were not picked up immediately in a regional dea.

Latest resources

Back