• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tab Express (Deland, FL) Shuts Down!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you read what I wrote, I said "No I didn't drop 100k. I made it through just as the "airline" scam was being dreamed up." I have a question for some of you, is it really pft if you get paid $25/hour as a f/o and $35/hour as a captain. If the airline ever got off the ground, that is what they were to be paid. I saw it in writing on the contracts that a few of my friends signed. I didn't think it was a good idea to borrow money to make an investment, but they thought otherwise and learned the hard way. The 100k was supposed to pay for the training and 1900 type. Yes it was an expensive school, but how else do you get actual airline pilots (furloughed, retired and a few active) come and teach unless you pay them well? I do agree that the uniforms were pretty ridiculous though.

fliynhi said:
You can pi$$ and moan all you want about pft and all of that bs, but the truth is if the majority of us had the financial ability, we would've done the same thing .

I had the financial ability to afford this crap, but chose not to. I paid $20000 for all my ratings, except the ATP, and I made it just fine to the airlines. :p

The way many of you guys make it sound, you'd think most of Tab's students were active participants on this message board. Maybe a lot of folks simply saw the ads in flight magazines and had faith enough in people to think they wouldn't screw them over - that maybe they lived in a country where if someone promises a product for a given price, then they deliver it to the best of their ability, and if not, the law would protect them. If Tab's execs did break the law, why are so many of you so hateful to Tab's victims? Geez, I'd hate to see what you'd say to a rape victim.

Yes, they all should have come on flightinfo.com before signing up. But I'm sure for many people, this has ruined their lives. Geez, have a little compassion for Christ's sake - and a little professionalism. It's fair to say that these guys screwed up, but it's easy to see that many of you were hoping for this outcome. Makes you proud to be an American doesn't it? Sure glad it's not my a-- overseas dying to protect you people.

research

polysciguy9 said:
The way many of you guys make it sound, you'd think most of Tab's students were active participants on this message board. Maybe a lot of folks simply saw the ads in flight magazines and had faith enough in people to think they wouldn't screw them over - that maybe they lived in a country where if someone promises a product for a given price, then they deliver it to the best of their ability, and if not, the law would protect them. If Tab's execs did break the law, why are so many of you so hateful to Tab's victims? Geez, I'd hate to see what you'd say to a rape victim.

Yes, they all should have come on flightinfo.com before signing up. But I'm sure for many people, this has ruined their lives. Geez, have a little compassion for Christ's sake - and a little professionalism. It's fair to say that these guys screwed up, but it's easy to see that many of you were hoping for this outcome. Makes you proud to be an American doesn't it? Sure glad it's not my a-- overseas dying to protect you people.

I didn't use this board to find out that the Williams family had bankrupted Airline Aviation Academy and sold it days before it was to be foreclosed. Later became Comair. Then opened ATA and were draining it of all the cash and preparing to walk away with the students money. Nor did I need this board to find out Mitch M had left ATA and gone to TAB without missing a beat in his sales pitch to unsuspecting students.

You have to do research before spending that kind of money. If someone is offering a service but will not let you pay for services as they are provided but insist that you pay in full up front, bells, horns, sirens, and alerts should be ringing in your ears. This isn't a couple of grand for a couch or some carpet, this is real money. If these people signed a contract for that kind of money without a lawyer they deserve to be ashamed. I feel bad for them so do many of the people posting here but come on its 2005 You can get information.

I think a lot of the venom you are seeing here is pointed at the decisions these people were making and what implications the decisions have on the industry. Most of the pilots that are senior at airlines got there one of two ways. One group are the military. I think no-one would question the fact that they paid their dues. The other group are the guys and gals who went to the local FBO and over a long period of time got their ratings, built experience, instructed, and maybe had a succession of sucky jobs before they got their break. These people worked hard paid their dues and really earned their positions.

Now within the last few years we have seen the proliferation of the "academy". Most of the students in these places just seem to be trying to shortcut the system. They are willing to pay through the nose for training because it gets them the interview. These students seem willing to sell their souls to cut out the dues paying part of the job progression that so many of us have had to endure. I for one am flying traffic because I couldn't afford to take on the debt to get the super duper ERAU, ATA, Pan Am, or Flight Safety nod to get an interview at a regional. I had to (UGH) go to a local FBO to get my ratings. But wait, I found an instructor there who wasn't using me to get hours to go to the newest super regional. He actually loved teaching and tried his best to pass some of his twenty plus thousand hours of experience through my exceedingly thick skull. I am now debt free flying 70 to 120 hrs a month for money and may actually know a little about flying and decision making due to having such an experienced instructor. I am fairly certain that after reaching the proper number of hours I too will get the coveted interview and I won't have to pay over half my salary each month in student loans.

I really think the venom is pointed at these kids trying to work around the system as it has existed for many years and use what many would view as a shortcut. Many of the older heads I talk to honestly believe (probably correctly) that pilots who have only flown for nine or ten months and maybe 350-400 hours just have no business flying your or my family around the country at 450 knots. The idea is that a pilot should really have to get in the trenches and fly a lot before they are making decisions that affect 50 to 90 passengers.

Sorry for the long rant. Just trying to explain.

Last edited:
fliynhi said:
The 100k was supposed to pay for the training and 1900 type. Yes it was an expensive school, but how else do you get actual airline pilots (furloughed, retired and a few active) come and teach unless you pay them well?

You did buy the sales pitch...

You get people to work for you when you sell a good product. Pax come and buy the product thus paying for the airline...

Oh, by the way, if it is proven that T and B were using student training money to finance the acft for the airline they should rot in jail. That is fraud plain and simple. If they sold training and spent the money on 1900's instead of training they're the scum of the earth. I can't possibly understand how Key not loaning to new students could have a bearing on whether the training is completed for the students who have already paid their money unless this was the case.

I really think the venom is pointed at these kids trying to work around the system as it has existed for many years and use what many would view as a shortcut.

In searching for places to train, I read about TAB Express and Gulfstream Academy. I thought they sounded pretty cool and had no conception of it being an attempt at a workaround and a shorcut. Until I posted a question about them over at the JC forum, I had no idea of the animosity that existed toward these two programs and PFT in general. As a matter of fact I didn't even know it was PFT or even what PFT was, or that there was anything wrong with it (at least as far as some pilots were concerned). And that something is wrong with it is still a subjective opinion. If I had never found these forums by accident I would have gone and never thought twice about it.

All I saw was an opportunity to get to the right seat and build time without instructing, which I personally did not think I would be good at. No more, no less.

So to say that they are all trying to work around the system or trying to shortcut the system is not necessarily true. If they were like me they didn't know what they didn't know.

From my academic perspective, a lot of the animosity seems to be directed at market level forces that can't be stopped. Obviously aviation was a more lucrative career when pilot selection criteria were stricter. Fortunately, civilians began earning the opportunity to fly commercially, but this caused the problem of increasing the number of eligible pilots to fill airline spots. The number of airline hopefulls is far greater than the need - thus one would expect pilot pay to decrease - perhaps past "0" and to a negative level where pilots are paying to fly (atleast for awhile).

One person in an earlier post mentioned the TAB guys losing their money as being an "entrepreneurial" experience. Actually, airlines charging for F/O time seems more entrepreneurial to me. It sounds to me like the anti-PTF people are upset that the market is moving towards this - and rightfully so - it's hurting their ability to make money. And for that, I offer you my sympathy. The same sympathy many of you are denying the TAB students. I understand the anti-PTF sentiments, but it's the same as a labor union trying to maintain high levels of compensation in a market where companies can look elsewhere for equally qualified employees at a lower price. Unless something changes, this seems to be the way the market is moving. I'd be interested in others' perspectives on this.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back