Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm old school, dogg, flew the T-38A.

Does the "C" have TCAS?

Pk - yes it does. When I was finishing up IFF at Moody in '01, they were just recieving their first batch of the T-38C. Same underpowered jet as the T-38A or AT-38B model unfortunately, however the avionics suite was quite impressive...but of course lacked any radar. I never flew one in my course (I had finished up already), but got a couple of back seat rides with IP's against other students currently in the course. I remember the IP's were using the TCAS system kind of a like a poor man's datalink. They had the students squak a mode 3C of some standard number already co-ordinated with ATC, and they were able to keep track of them throughout the sortie on the color moving map/TCAS display. "Blind" issues went way down, which is a good thing...and they were able to maximize training more effectively. That's my 2 cents...maybe more current guys from IFF or UPT have more insight.

Years ago four of us were dropping practice bombs on Inky Barley or Kitty Baggage(I forget which one) in R-2512 along the Colorado River border between California and Arizona. I had just dropped and looked back to spot my hit. When I looked up the belly of a Bonanza was rapidly filling my windscreen. I was about 30º nose up and all I could do was punch the nose over at about 2 negative G's.

Unfortunately, we didn't have a spotter in a T-28 that day to chase down that putz and ID him. It wasn't worth the gas to send an F-4 to chase him down. He was headed eastbound right toward some other restricted areas. He probably never knew how close he came to meeting his maker. At least we might have had a chance with our friend, Martin-Baker.

Those targets are still there. I was constantly amazed at the traffic running east/west skirting the Mexico/US border.

When I.......I never.....in my.....(I had........ I remember..... my 2 cents...
WINDBAG!

HUDs are great unless you're some poor guy that goes from a -38 at SPS to a -135 at Altus. Sheppard's still open, right?

WINDBAG!

HUDs are great unless you're some poor guy that goes from a -38 at SPS to a -135 at Altus. Sheppard's still open, right?

You'd have to be pretty dang unlucky for that to happen. Sheppard is home of ENJJPT, and all the US grads go on to fly one of the following:

F-15C/E, F-16, A-10, B-1, B-2, B-52.

It's pretty much impossible to be an ENJJPT grad and end up flying a KC-anything, unless you Palace Chased into a guard unit with heavies.

It's pretty safe to say that 85% (probably more) of ENJJPT grads go onto fly jets with HUDs.

At Laughlin they showed a video to compliment the one posted of a near miss between a T-38 and a T-6 from Randolph. So much for deconflicting the low level......

It's pretty safe to say that 85% (probably more) of ENJJPT grads go onto fly jets with HUDs.
There ya go. 15%. Whatever.

I wanted a KC-135 but it wasn't available in the drop. Shame. Anything's better than a porker.

ciao.

In years past, Sheppard has had assignment drops where almost no one got a fighter. I have a friend who's class got none. He got a C-130.

I was at Laughlin in March, and some students told me that if the HUD goes out, it's akin to a minor EP: they come back 1 to a full stop. Nevermind that thousands of pilots have done landings in the T-38 without one for 40 years. They do have a dual sortie where there is a "Special Syllabus Item" to do landings without a HUD (gasp!). "Put the thing on the thing on the thing" (can you believe that one?). But I guess that SUPT is making a product for the 21st century,... and that product better be able to use a HUD.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back