• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA TA Failure and downgrades

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So which is it, $1,000 or $1,400? Your accounting principles are confusing to us lowly no votes.

Fortunately the majority thinks otherwise, welcome to democracy.

If you fly 120/month, it's $1,400. If you fly 100 per month, it's $1,000.

You "lowly no votes" are already down $1,000. In one month. Ouch.

Hey, let's do some more math. The average SWA pilot flies over 100 trips per month and there are 6,000 pilots. Figure each captain gave up a $10/trip raise, each senior FO gave up $11/trip and each junior FO gave up about $6/trip.

We just put a little under $6 million back in SWA's checking account this month, right from ours with the no vote.

Next month, we'll have donated $12 million. At that rate, I am certain SWA management is falling all over themselves to fix the little things and get that contract out for ratification.

Think this through; by turning down the TA, the whole pilot group gives up a collective amount of $6 million per month.

That is gonna show 'em. You have leverage now, baby.

No retro No contract.

It's already been agreed to once. Now way it's coming off the table. You can thank me after my NO vote gets you a bigger raise.

Gup

Don't you see that the company is dancing around waving streamers in the air and spontaneously breaking into folk dances because we turned this down and saved them $6,000,000 per month in pilot wages?

Why would they care if you kept voting it down? It's good for them, the money that would have gone into your pocket stays in theirs.

Best of luck guys. We have our penny pinchers too at AT, who brief their fellow pilot on how much the failed TA cost them per pay period and to date. If it was only about money, SWA and AT's ta's would have passed. The latest antic by our management has done alot for our unity. I think you guys probably have a ways to go, and will need some bombs dropped on your heads like we did. It sucks for everyone who is watching to see the most labor friendly airline to ever exist (and one of the best fortune 500 companies period) to go down the path they are on. I hope I am wrong and your new NC squeaks out a victory, but I think the airline landscape is too different now for these managers to back down.

It sucks for everyone who is watching to see the most labor friendly airline to ever exist (and one of the best fortune 500 companies period) to go down the path they are on.

The only path we are on right now is the path to renegotiation. There is no animosity that I am aware of, we just didn't sign off on the first go.

Gup

You sound like a gullible newhire at an RJ operator, for f&ck sake. "Off the table?" I've got news for you: nothing is ever "off the table" in negotiations. That may be their ridiculous line at the table, but it's all posturing. They know full well that they won't get away with not paying you retro. Don't be a chump.

Ha ha.... I got tell you..it is so funny to watch you post like the big tough guy knowing your history... You are great entertainment for so many of us. Dude, you are such a poser.

Thanks...

More with the insults. Fine, but deep in your heart, you have a sinking feeling that I'm right.

Just wait until you get a progress report from our new (well, "new" isn't right the sperm hasn't even left the vas deferens yet) NC and their fancy box-stuffer says, "SWA now maintains that times are different now than when they first negotiated the last TA, so we are making very little progress."

When that comes out, I'd like you, like a rapper, to pour out a 40 on your copy of the old TA and think, "He was right after all."

So far I've gotten insulted and asked about my background.

Nobody has touched the central issues.

No insults here, and it does not matter where any of us came from. It matters where we are now. I voted no, as all of the 'QOL' changes would have spelled a 20-25 trip reduction per month which would FAR outweigh the value of the raises/401K match in my case. Understand I speak only for myself here. I also did not understand (I am not the smartest tool in the shead) why the compnay for years had told us our productivity had been crucial to SWA's success, yet so many of the changes to ELITT, Open Time, etc... seemed bent on limiting that very same productivity. I also looked at the 'no more 2nd yr pay' for probies flying extra as our own little version of a B-scale and to me it was wrong to go along with that, after I enjoyed it so much as a newbie. I also wanted to see the reserve guarantee be per pairing or block as opposed to per month (no free reserve standing at the end of the month) as well as have it be 6.5 TFP per day to make it equitable with lineholders. That would benefit senior as well as junior guys since all the reserve lines for CA's tend to go senior (at least in MCO...). There is some validity to wondering if we have set ourselves up for a worse offer, and maybe we have... I personally do not think so because who in a business deal goes to the table with their best offer first? Ever buy a house and give your max price right away(If you have I am sorry for you and you should sue your agent for letting you)? Mgmt knew we had never turned a TA down before and were hoping and counting on the same here. I think this could be a very good thing if and only because at least it has made Gary et.al realize how out of touch they are with the pilot group, and how close they are to squandering our goodwill which believe it or not is very valuable to them (at least if you believe the memo from him sent to our company emails yesterday). I am pleased with our current contract (it is not perfect but far better than the TA) and will continue to vote no if the subsequent offers are worse for most of the seniority list. Cheers and best of luck to us all, klr

Think this through; by turning down the TA, the whole pilot group gives up a collective amount of $6 million per month.

That is gonna show 'em. You have leverage now, baby.

Evidently you have never bought a car for less than asking price....

klr1395

Just curious..... how was the TA going to cost you 20-25 tfp a month? Was it going to just cost you this much or every pilot? If it was going to cost every pilot that much, I estimate that we would need to hire 1000 pilots to cover the schedule (immediately clearing up the lance grandfathering).

Maybe you feel that you would have flown the same block for 20-25 trips less. How was this going to happen? Do you "clear your board" and then work FO trips for captain pay (i.e. VJA)? I don't know if this is your approach, but I'm just trying to understand the "I would've lost tons of pay" rationale.

Latest resources

Back