• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA NO voters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No it doesn't- you got an improved contract w/o striking and will get the money-
Those are good things- don't spin it to Suck bc you won't get it as quick as you thought

Wave, when you start commenting on internal AAI stuff, you lose a lot of credibility.

I, along with most other AAI Captains, got a whopping 8% raise, after 6 years of negotiations. We would have gotten 20-30%. I'll be on this contract for 4 years. Thanks a bunch. :rolleyes:

JT12345;2220508 [B said:
I have been talking about competitive problems at SWA, and here they are. The labor over there forcing management to pull out of markets that can be profitable at AAI, but not at SWA. [/B] I am not saying our seasonal work has to be done by contract rampers and gate agents, but you can't TDY or give some relief.

Not a good sign of times ahead if things don't change. Culture check maybe?

JT

I think it more of how SWA operates. It typically has been SWA does not want to serve a city that they can have at-least 15 flights a day. Herb calls this the low hanging fruit. there is no way SWA can keep all the AT cities. Some will go away others will go from 5 flights a day to over 15 flights a day.

PS trust me you not be going overseas in 10 years for a job.

Ty-

Is that the 'would have gotten 20-30% raise' before or after you went on strike.

Talk about credibility? Come on, man--

Life is gonna be better, but only if you accept it will.

Or you can keep whining, I guess.

And you know. I don't like the excuses I am hearing about why we have to pull out of some of the markets AAI serves. Cause the costs are to high because of union contracts and scope. That we can't have contract workers, so SWA can't afford to operate in there.

Codeshare is the cancer of this industry and I would like to think you'd rather not farm out YOUR job to the next lowest bidder.

Gup

Ty-

Is that the 'would have gotten 20-30% raise' before or after you went on strike.

Talk about credibility? Come on, man--

Life is gonna be better, but only if you accept it will.

Or you can keep whining, I guess.

I'm not whining, just trying to set the record straight.

Thanks for all the free advice, though. :laugh:

Last edited:
Wave, when you start commenting on internal AAI stuff, you lose a lot of credibility.

I, along with most other AAI Captains, got a whopping 8% raise, after 6 years of negotiations. We would have gotten 20-30%. I'll be on this contract for 4 years. Thanks a bunch. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. "We would have gotten 20-30%."? Exactly when would you have gotten that? After you literally held a gun to Fornaro's wife's head? Your negotiations were going nowhere. Whether you admit it or not, the ONLY reason you got a contract with raises & other improvements was due to SWA buying Airtran. Fornaro didn't want to lose out. If you had struck, the deal would probably have been off. And guess who was on the hook to pay a break-up fee if the deal was canceled? Airtran, that's who. NOT SWA. Fornaro only gave you that contract for two reasons: If the acquisition failed he'd miss out on his personal $3-4M payday, and more importantly, he knew it wasn't gonna' be HIM issuing the paychecks. At that point, he could have cared less about whether giving you any raise fit his business model.

Wanting 20-30% and "would have gotten" 20-30% are vastly different things, Ty. If you think you would have gotten that, why did you settle for 8%? Why didn't you continue your chosen path of further negotiation and/or strike? I think you're being a little disingenuous here. There's no way you would have gotten that raise you wanted without burning the company down. I serriously doubt you would have gotten what you DID get without the SWA acquisition.

Bubba

Oh yeah, not to pick nits, but an "8% payraise" isn't exactly accurate either. From old AAI contract to new AAI contract:

8 year CA: 131.87/hr to 149.01/hr or 13.0% payraise instantly
8 year FO: 79.12/hr to 95.08/hr or 20.2% payraise instantly

This is only a snapshot, but I have both contracts. It's very similar across the board. Looks like some of you got your 20% after all. Say, "Thank you SWA for buying Airtran."

Bubba

Last edited:
Oh yeah, not to pick nits, but an "8% payraise" isn't exactly accurate either. From old AAI contract to new AAI contract:

8 year CA: 131.87/hr to 149.01/hr or 13.0% payraise instantly
8 year FO: 79.12/hr to 95.08/hr or 20.2% payraise instantly

This is only a snapshot, but I have both contracts. It's very similar across the board. Looks like some of you got your 20% after all. Say, "Thank you SWA for buying Airtran."

Bubba

Read what I wrote. I got 8%, which was typical of our Captains.

When you factor in 6 years of negotiations, and the 4 years until 1/2015, it doesn't even keep up with inflation. . . . . It's actually concessionary.

Thanks for the gumball,. Mickey. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. "We would have gotten 20-30%."? Exactly when would you have gotten that? After you literally held a gun to Fornaro's wife's head? Your negotiations were going nowhere.
Bubba

"Going nowhere"? We had already TA'd 18 out of 20 Sections when the merger was announced.

As I said, when you start opining about our internal business, you sound foolish.

I can tell you that when I start flying with SWA pilots, I won't be bringing up or discussing SWAPA's past history, because it isn't my business, and it would be in bad form . . . . but hey, don't let that stop you . . . . :erm:

Not sure why you guys want to keep revisiting this stuff, but I'm done with this conversation. Schlong! :D

Last edited:
Read what I wrote. I got 8%, which was typical of our Captains.

When you factor in 6 years of negotiations, and the 4 years until 1/2015, it doesn't even keep up with inflation. . . . . It's actually concessionary.

Thanks for the gumball,. Mickey. :rolleyes:

Only typical for your senior captains. Captains with 9 years or less service got more. First officers got huge raises:

Yrs CA FO
5 12% 26%
6 10% 25%
7 9% 19%
8 13% 20%
9 12% 22%
10 8% 25%

For the remaining 4 years of the contract, the raises total up to 8 -10% straight across a given year of longevity. Since you said you got 8% in the deal, I assume you're at 10 years. The remaining 4 years for you total another 18.3% of your 2010 rate (10% inflation, and the rest longevity steps, of which more were added in the new contract). I should hope that covers inflation for the next 4 years; at any rate, it's not exactly concessionary.

The fact that what you got in this deal didn't cover inflation for the six years between this and your old contract is hardly SWA's fault.

Bubba

Latest resources

Back