• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA Comments about 717

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Probably not the FO's that get the AirTran Captain positions.
How about the FO's who don't make the 2015 cut but would have had till end of lease through 2018-2021 to get into the seat due to those folks staying on the 717? Now, every seat until end of seniority disparity goes AT. It all depends where you are.

Wow, saying that replacing AT Captains seats with SWA f/o's as something to cheer for and "everyone should be happy" is pretty weak, to say the least.
Is that part of the "warrior spirit"

Hey Dan,

For someone who goes on and on about how he doesn't hold any bad feelings about SWA or its pilots, you sure have a hard time restraining yourself when it comes to bad-mouthing, picking, or generally pot-stirring, on every issue dealing with Southwest and its pilots' doings.

Capt Chase was writing to his constituency, which consists of SWAPA pilots, not Airtran ALPA pilots. That's who he represents. That's his job. And right now, a lot of his constituency, especially junior folks, are mad about lack of growth and upgrades. His comment was to THEM, not to Airtran people that he doesn't represent. And it was simply that due to a management decision, SOME of the upgrades that were coming anyway at the expense of Airtran pilots, due to global seniority, appear to be coming somewhat sooner than expected. What did you expect him to say to them?

What if the situation was the opposite, and GK announced we were keeping the 717s even longer, and that former Airtran guys kept those positions longer? (or some other business decision that benefited the Airtran guys) Would you give Airtran ALPA crap if they sold it to their members as good news? Somehow I doubt it.

Regardless, this was a management decision. SWAPA didn't make any sublease deal with Delta. GK did. In a later post, you insinuated that SWAPA "knew this was coming," and further, that it was information that Airtran didn't have. You don't know crap. You seem to have conveniently forgotten that SWAPA had signed off on a previous SLI deal that would have guaranteed former Airtran CAs their seats in perpetuity. The fact is, that managemnent pulls the strings, and both sets of pilots knew that the 717s leaving early was not only a possibility, but something that GK wanted. Certainly you remember Southwest AND Airtran pilots having this very discussion on Flight Info before the SLI was signed. SWAPA pilots wanted that to happen, and Airtran pilots (esp 717 guys) didn't want it to happen. That's the only real difference.

I'm not commenting on the "fairness" or any other way of looking at management's decision. It wasn't up to me, and it personally doesn't affect me much. However, I know that as it sits now, there will be a lot of upset people who ARE affected. Obviously, there will have to be some negotiation (due to the new timeline vs. the one signed in the SLI agreement). Hopefully, something can be done to mitigate the loss of what was expected to those affected Airtran pilots. I don't know what, but I hope something will be worked out.

In the meanwhile, while we see how all this plays out, why don't YOU shut your trap, and stop trying merely to piss off, and to pit two pilot groups against each other, neither of which had any hand in making this decision. Fair enough? Your theory of a SWA-SWAPA conspiracy to screw over the Airtran pilots is pretty stupid--neither the SWAPA pilots nor the ALPA pilots had a say in the decision to get married in the first place, nor in this current decision to get rid of the 717s.

Bubba

Hey Dan,

For someone who goes on and on about how he doesn't hold any bad feelings about SWA or its pilots, you sure have a hard time restraining yourself when it comes to bad-mouthing, picking, or generally pot-stirring, on every issue dealing with Southwest and its pilots' doings.

Capt Chase was writing to his constituency, which consists of SWAPA pilots, not Airtran ALPA pilots. That's who he represents. That's his job. And right now, a lot of his constituency, especially junior folks, are mad about lack of growth and upgrades. His comment was to THEM, not to Airtran people that he doesn't represent. And it was simply that due to a management decision, SOME of the upgrades that were coming anyway at the expense of Airtran pilots, due to global seniority, appear to be coming somewhat sooner than expected. What did you expect him to say to them?

What if the situation was the opposite, and GK announced we were keeping the 717s even longer, and that former Airtran guys kept those positions longer? (or some other business decision that benefited the Airtran guys) Would you give Airtran ALPA crap if they sold it to their members as good news? Somehow I doubt it.

Regardless, this was a management decision. SWAPA didn't make any sublease deal with Delta. GK did. In a later post, you insinuated that SWAPA "knew this was coming," and further, that it was information that Airtran didn't have. You don't know crap. You seem to have conveniently forgotten that SWAPA had signed off on a previous SLI deal that would have guaranteed former Airtran CAs their seats in perpetuity. The fact is, that managemnent pulls the strings, and both sets of pilots knew that the 717s leaving early was not only a possibility, but something that GK wanted. Certainly you remember Southwest AND Airtran pilots having this very discussion on Flight Info before the SLI was signed. SWAPA pilots wanted that to happen, and Airtran pilots (esp 717 guys) didn't want it to happen. That's the only real difference.

I'm not commenting on the "fairness" or any other way of looking at management's decision. It wasn't up to me, and it personally doesn't affect me much. However, I know that as it sits now, there will be a lot of upset people who ARE affected. Obviously, there will have to be some negotiation (due to the new timeline vs. the one signed in the SLI agreement). Hopefully, something can be done to mitigate the loss of what was expected to those affected Airtran pilots. I don't know what, but I hope something will be worked out.

In the meanwhile, while we see how all this plays out, why don't YOU shut your trap, and stop trying merely to piss off, and to pit two pilot groups against each other, neither of which had any hand in making this decision. Fair enough? Your theory of a SWA-SWAPA conspiracy to screw over the Airtran pilots is pretty stupid--neither the SWAPA pilots nor the ALPA pilots had a say in the decision to get married in the first place, nor in this current decision to get rid of the 717s.

Bubba

What a scumbag!

.......and, they are saying it's a good thing! amazing

.......Probably not the FO's that get the AirTran Captain positions.

You just can't help yourself, can you Dan?

You should probably check your lame sarcasm, in that your first comment was actually answered by your second. The SWAPA pres said that it's a good thing for those Southwest FOs whose global seniority allows them a Captain seat, that some of them will get it sooner than originally expected. Is it good for those Airtran guys who lose their seats sooner? Obviously not. He wasn't talking to them.

You know, Dan, more often than not, you have pretty fair and reasonable posts on Flight Info. Occasionally even insightful. However, when it comes to Southwest pilots (not the airline itself necessarily), you just lose it. You continually protest neutrality, but just as continually, all you do is lob grenades at any pilot wearing a SWA uniform. This SLI is stressful enough to begin with, and you seem to be doing your best to stir up trouble and hard feelings.

Maybe you should seek professional help for your problem.

Bubba

Wait, there is one thing the AT guys will get now that they have merged with SWA........wait for it......WEST TEXAS FLYING. (sorry, I had to say it)

Bye Bye---General Lee

We have a new union president at AirTran. He is very well liked and respected by his fellow AirTran pilots. Steve Chase wishes he had that kind of respect. I suppose his letter is sort of a response to ours. Heck in another thread I said to someone here (scoreboard I think), to have your own president write how you guys feel. If that letter represents how SWA pilots really feel, I would rather know that, than have some kinds BS relationship. I really do believe in Karma. That what goes around, comes around. So if we are being being treated unfairly. Our time will come.

I'm a mid seniority SWA FO. And I understand the Airtran anger.

But consider MY perspective: my company forced me into a seniority integration with 1700+ pilots (vice organic growth), then decided they didn't want 2/3 of their airplanes.

I'm pissed too. But not at you guys. Nor should you be pissed at me.

What candide says is gospel, lets live it, learn it, and realize this is a new SWA needing a new level of awareness from what was a puppy dog pilot union.

Hey Dan,

Bubba

Why would you have a problem with the AirTran pilots keeping the flying THEY brought to the table no matter how long it was? Your perspective speaks volumes.

Latest resources

Back