• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA Comments about 717

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One day SWAPA will ask us former AT pilots to stand with them in some sort of fight. I won't be there, ever.

On a related note apparently being gifted the remaining AirTran captain seats from GK wasn't enough for SWAPA. Word has it SC is attempting to get a side letter that will prevent new SW pilots (former AT) from bidding into a base their seniority affords them while any original SW pilots are displaced through normal monthly base flexing. Effectively, junior pilots would have preferential right of return over senior pilots to any base they once held but can no longer. So much for being SW pilots once we cross the partition. I smell a DFR lawsuit for new SW pilots.

Sorry SC, but this was a part of the SLI agreement that SWAPA voted for and is the only negative that came to SW pilots through the SLI that destroyed AirTran pilots' left seat careers/aspirations. And it primarily hurt junior pilots because SWAPA threw them under the bus so captains wouldn't be harmed and senior FO's would make windfall gains through previously unachievable upgrades. Steve, if you'd like to revisit the agreed upon SLI and make after the fact changes, we'll be happy to take another look at it. But it's going to require an SLI more closely resembling a relative integration. Yea I didn't think you wanted to go there.

Every AirTran pilot needs to know that not only will we be losing significantly more captain seats than agreed upon in the SLI, but that if SC gets his way another hose job will be headed our way. When we do go over the fence our seniority will be meaningless in terms of getting the base we want. Call your reps!!

So AT captains are losing their seats and SWA FOs will upgrade into them? Am i understanding this correctly?
Partially, some will. Then any remaining after 2015 will come over as CA as they transition to their 737 CA job. Then, all those who made the pre 2015 transition as FO's (hundreds) will then be next in line to CA. So while this looks bad, it depends on your exact seniority placement and where you are at the 2015 cutoff.

Last edited:
On a related note apparently being gifted the remaining AirTran captain seats from GK wasn't enough for SWAPA. Word has it SC is attempting to get a side letter that will prevent new SW pilots (former AT) from bidding into a base their seniority affords them while any original SW pilots are displaced through normal monthly base flexing. Effectively, junior pilots would have preferential right of return over senior pilots to any base they once held but can no longer. So much for being SW pilots once we cross the partition. I smell a DFR lawsuit for new SW pilots.

Sorry SC, but this was a part of the SLI agreement that SWAPA voted for and is the only negative that came to SW pilots through the SLI that destroyed AirTran pilots' left seat careers/aspirations. And it primarily hurt junior pilots because SWAPA threw them under the bus so captains wouldn't be harmed and senior FO's would make windfall gains through previously unachievable upgrades. Steve, if you'd like to revisit the agreed upon SLI and make after the fact changes, we'll be happy to take another look at it. But it's going to require an SLI more closely resembling a relative integration. Yea I didn't think you wanted to go there.

Every AirTran pilot needs to know that not only will we be losing significantly more captain seats than agreed upon in the SLI, but that if SC gets his way another hose job will be headed our way. When we do go over the fence our seniority will be meaningless in terms of getting the base we want. Call your reps!!
This is untrue , that rumor died on the vine, SWA denied RoR. End of story.

Last edited:
This is completely an untrue fabrication, that rumor died on the vine, SWA denied RoR. End of story.

Scoreboard,

I'd like to believe you about this being a bad rumor. Could you give a more specific source for SWA denying this? Public denial or back room one. Did SWAPA put out a statement to such? I hope you're right brother.

Scoreboard,

I'd like to believe you about this being a bad rumor. Could you give a more specific source for SWA denying this? Public denial or back room one. Did SWAPA put out a statement to such? I hope you're right brother.
It's real, it was an issue our youngens fought for during the SLI discussion which was basically dropped and our side feels rather sold down the river for it NOT having been a priority. After the SLI a bunch tried to push the union but they refused citing "SWA said not just no, but heck no".

So it was a thing, but never made out of wishland.

if you have to know, send an email to [email protected] and ask

I'd copy a statement from our forum but the Gestswapo comm commander wiped the forum.

In my opinion SWA has done an excellent job pissing off all 8000 of us.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back