Swan Song for Song

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G4G5 said:
I think the issue is capacity cut backs. If staffing requires approx 12 pilots per aircraft how many FA's are staffed per aircraft?

I don't have access to the DAL FA numbers but AA has approx 20,000 FA's and they operate approx 740 aircraft. In round numbers that's 27 per aircraft. For DAL to furlough 2,500 FA that would mean eliminating approx 90 aircraft. Not impossible.

I think AA has almost 10K pilots actively flying. Also, if you figure DAL has at least 12 pilots per aircraft that is 1080 pilots for 90 planes.

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/content/view/8/16/

7,432 / 530 aircraft = 14 pilots per aircraft.

Fleet types are defiantly on DAL mgt's list of things to cut.
767-200 - 10
737-200 - 52
MD90 - 16

IMHO here are 78 aircraft that are defiantly on the chopping block. Now how many of the other fleet types are coming up on high time or high dollar inspections? How many of the remaining fleet types have bad leases that DAL would love to get out of? I am sure that you could find 12 more undesirable aircraft.

G4G5 said:

767-200 - 10
737-200 - 52
MD90 - 16

IMHO here are 78 aircraft that are defiantly on the chopping block. Now how many of the other fleet types are coming up on high time or high dollar inspections? How many of the remaining fleet types have bad leases that DAL would love to get out of? I am sure that you could find 12 more undesirable aircraft.

As far as I know, DAL owns the MD90s and they aren't scheduled to leave until 2011-2012. They are great for hot-and-high conditions out of SLC.

The 767-200s will be going to ABX at a rate of one per quarter. So, if DAL loses any MD-88s to the lessors, the 767-200s would likely remain a bit longer to make up for capacity loss. The 737-200s would also likely remain for awhile if some of the MD-88s are taken by the lessors. That is what I have heard from a few knowledgeable Delta buddies.

G4G5 said:
...only to take away most everything they offered and then jammed pass cuts and pref bidding down their throats with nothing in return...

There will be no pass cuts, and pref bidding favors the junior F/As and will favor them more in the months to come...

G4G5 said:
If they had done it from day one(offered it up to mainline mama's) that would be one thing but that was not the case. They hired off the street, out of seniority and then kept the senior folks off the flights.

Not true. Song was open to all F/As when it started. NOT ONE SINGLE SONG F/A WAS HIRED OFF THE STREET. Also, I personally know several VERY SENIOR F/As who went Song. It was a three year commitment with several options after those three years. It's no coincidence that May will be the end integration month, as this will be three years since startup of Song. Delta planned on it being an experiment from the git-go.

If your relative is so pissed, perhaps she is the mainline F/A type you are complaining about. There are plenty of senior mama's who are great, and plenty of junior ones that have terrible attitudes. It's real simple... those who hate their jobs should leave, those who are satisfied should stay. I'm betting the furlough numbers will be lower than expected due to the voluntary separations.

banger said:
FDJ2 said:
Actually, the Song F/As will remain. The overwhelming number of them hold mainline seniority numbers.
quote]

Heard this from a DAL FA supervisor: 2500 FA's to be notified of furlough 01Jan. Furloughing will begin with an equal percentage of FAs from Song and mainline until MAy when the numbers are integrated by seniority number.

That should help out the more junior Song F/As, of course some of the best Song F/As are some of the ex PAAs F/As living in Fla. They're pretty senior.

G4G5 said:
banger said:
That was the number that I heard someplace else. It's unfortunate, these people were promissed that they would become part of something special (Song). They did a good job and wound up getting tossed under the bus.

Well it sounds like they will be furloughing in equal percentages. Since there are far more mainline F/As then Song F/As the bulk of the furloughed F/As will be mainline.

Well, whatever Mother Delta does she has little room for error.

They were already over 20 billion in debt - then I heard they to mortgage everything left in order to raise the DIP financing for bankruptcy.

In short, Delta is 100% hocked, all the assets are encumbered, and there is nothing left to serve as collateral in case this first walk through the courts fails (like US Air's did).

Anybody else confirm this?

G4G5 said:

767-200 - 10
737-200 - 52
MD90 - 16

There are 75 aircraft definately on the chopping block over the next four years. Not all those aircraft are currently in service. The fleet types to be eliminated are the 767-200, 737-300 and 737-200.

DAL also has firm orders over the next 36 months for 2 777s and 41 737-800s. DAL has options for 3 767-300s, 3 767-400s and 6 737-800s over the next 36 months. The earliest deliveries are scheduled for 2007.

FlyBoeingJets said:
Delta can't be undermanned by 1000 or so pilots, can they?? That is the only way I can see few or no pilot furloughes. (Few being 200 or less).

actually, based on the results of the last bid, we are overmanned by about 150 pilots. But that is still with some PRPs. We are very definately overmanned with flight attendants. The airline has become smaller each year for the past couple of years. The pilots have been drawn down with retirements. The flight attendants have not been drawn down at all.

Look, I am not saying there definately will not be more furloughs. Some of the things that determine that are out of Deltas hands. I do think if they are able to stick with the fleet plan they have now, we can likely avoid more furloughs. But if the fleet plan has to come way down due to lessors taking their aircraft back, all bets are off.

Last edited:
G4G5 said:
They hired off the street, out of seniority and then kept the senior folks off the flights. You can't go back now and tell me that the few remaining Scabs will be able to bring the Song spirit over to mainline when they are out numbered 10:1.

incedently, Song never hired FAs off the street.

Latest resources

Back