• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA wants to fly from HOU to MEX and SouthAmerica

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flop, one question? Would you like direct competition from SWA out of IAH or HOU, for international flights? If IAH explain why.

IAH. Because that's the level playing field, and I like our chances. You "warriors" have had a lot of fun destoying your competition, but I'd like to be part of ending your run.

I heard the Houston city council is pretty pissed the CAL corporate offices were all moved to Chicago (how many jobs lost for the city?). Could get interesting.

Yeah, they aren't happy, and I think that's why you're trying this now. However, we're currently the second largest employer in Houston and more jobs will be created than have been lost. IAH might become the largest hub.

That is exactly like a shopping mall saying you can only sell shoes out of one store and not another, even if that other company will foot the bill to build the new store.

No, It's like we're two baseball teams, and you won't take the field. You're scared to play without home field advantage. I have no problem with an even game.

Maybe i missed something but who is paying for this and to staff the facility? If LUV fronts the money to build an appropriate facility at Hobby I say have at it. If in any way taxpayers have to front the cash to subsidize construction I say get bent. Houston should focus more on the fact it's a cultural black hole rather then building another FIS facility.

Last edited:
So you're saying the city and it's taxpayers paid for IAH many years ago, and because of that Southwest shouldn't fly internationally out of Hobby?

That's a pretty interesting arguement to say the least.

We aren't 'trying this now because CAL pulled out', we are going international and we have passengers in Houston that want to go with us. Very simple.

Flopgut, So IAH is it. You like your chances better in IAH? What makes you think SWA is such a threat out of HOU? I know our casm will be lower than yours on the 800 and will easily compete against same equipment. Let SWA move full ops to IAH and feed our domestic ops out of there too. Then we can call it even.

Flopgut, So IAH is it. You like your chances better in IAH? What makes you think SWA is such a threat out of HOU? I know our casm will be lower than yours on the 800 and will easily compete against same equipment. Let SWA move full ops to IAH and feed our domestic ops out of there too. Then we can call it even.

Sounds fine with me. You win that fight, good for you...

What makes you think SWA is such a threat out of HOU?

Forgot to answer your question. The reason is, ultimately, you have no problem flying out of IAH. In fact, you probably plan to. It's like Chase readily admits on page 1 of this thread. SWA is going to end up going to DFW. Even with all the decades of WA drama and consternation, SWA will end up going to DFW. Houston doesn't have to wonder what your plan is. You intend to skirmish from a safe distance with the IAH carriers, assail IAH as ridiculously expensive, and ultimately wreck the airport financially and contribute to the bankruptsy of the predominant carrier. Then move in when you can get the whole thing for cents on the dollar.

Flopgut.. seriously, you gotta let go dude.. you are going to give yourself a coronary with your SWA hatred.. Your logic is twisted and sick.. By your assumption that we are going to put CAL out of business by flying to mexico from HOU, then move into IAH for pennies on the dollar.. Do you think that SWA will do the same with ORD? Or maybe IAD? Do you think SWA is kicking your ass in EWR? Hardly.. The difference between you and SWA is that you want SWA to foot the bill to start an operation in IAH, so that they can compete with you there.. They want to PAY with their own MONEY to build the facility to fly internationally from HOU, which creates COMPETITION, and is better for the consumer.. SWA doesn't want to have 'the only game in town at HOU'.. If there are international facilities in HOU, I'm sure CAL can come on down if they choose to do so..

As someone above posted.. We are getting the equipment, and have the customers who want to come with us.. that's it.. Go have a beer or spend some time with your kids.. All of us will thank you for it..

GD

Why didn't UCAL or any other airline fly out of Hobby before SWA dominated it? It is called business and we the pilots have nothing to do about it. We just fly them where we are told. And hopefully that will be to Intl destinations.

Latest resources

Back