• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA wants to fly from HOU to MEX and SouthAmerica

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's been going on behind the scenes for awhile. Just trying to work with the airport authority and US Customs on the details.

At least you guys have the AirTran pilots who have been flying international for a while to mentor you... Joking! :D:laugh:

Quote from article..."Former Continental Airlines CEO Gordon Bethune says he and past Houston mayors developed IAH specifically as the city's international gateway, and it's a key reason for Houston's economic success to date.
"It's going to pop an economic balloon, which has been Houston's economic growth," he said. "It's going to split a big city -- six million people -- into two small cities. So we're going to have transportation like Austin."
United Airlines quickly sent a letter Friday, saying, "We believe this fundamental change in more than 40-year-old aviation policy would weaken the city's economy and kill far more jobs than it might create.""

I think Gordon Bethune is a sharp guy, but...split a big city into two small cities???...REALLY??? Poor form in appearing to over-dramatize in my estimation.

REALLY??? Poor form in appearing to over-dramatize in my estimation.

"Poor form?!" YGTBSM... He's completely right!

This is a perfect addmission on SWA's part that you cannot compete on International flights without some sort of unique airport situation. It's classless Prussian.

If this goes forward, expect UAL to also fly from HOU an dump seats on competing routes.

LA has multiple airports that fly internationally, Chicago also with MDW and ORD, NYC also.

Competition is good. I wpredict that in 5 yrs SWA will have one of the terminals @ DFW (20+ gates with flights to MEX and Carib. The amendment will be changed again to allow this.

Love will be domestic only and will max out in flight for gates within 18 months of the restrictions being lifted in 2014.

LA has multiple airports that fly internationally, Chicago also with MDW and ORD, NYC also.

Competition is good. I wpredict that in 5 yrs SWA will have one of the terminals @ DFW (20+ gates with flights to MEX and Carib. The amendment will be changed again to allow this.

Love will be domestic only and will max out in flight for gates within 18 months of the restrictions being lifted in 2014.

So you're going to go to DFW and Love is going to be domestic only, but you can't go to IAH now?! You're too smart a guy to make such a dumb post Chase. SWA isn't the flat-broke, 3 airplane only airline you were back when Love Field was an issue and the WA began to formulate, yet you think you deserve the same sort of special treatment?

Yeah, competition is good. It's great in fact. The level playing field is IAH. Why is that a problem?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back