SWA wants to fly from HOU to MEX and SouthAmerica

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Btw-
There are no rules, contracts, or agreements against flying international out of hobby-
This decision, the way I understand it is all about united/cal making an objection

FYI Flop; Southwest is starting service out of other Texas cities to Mexico. They are just doing it with their lower cost wholly owned subsidiary.

http://www.bizjournals.com/mobile/austin/news/2012/02/03/airtran-plans-austin-to-cancun-flights.html

http://pressroom.airtran.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=201565&p=RssLanding&cat=news&id=1630841

Where is SW going to get the planes to add all this international service and add large amounts of flying from Dallas in 2014 as well? 737 production is sold out and their deliveries will be used to replace older 737's and/or 717's. You can add ASM's be replacing smaller planes with 737-800's but you can't go to more places without more airframes. Are they going to drop some other markets to make room for new ones? They are making announcements like they are growing but they are not growing the fleet size; where do the planes come from?

Btw-
There are no rules, contracts, or agreements against flying international out of hobby-
This decision, the way I understand it is all about united/cal making an objection
It's so funny listening to all you SWA crybabies and complaining about UAL and their objections. I didn't hear one of you crybabies when SWA was complaining to the DOJ about when the US/DL slot swap in LGA/DCA was going on? Don't dare complain about SWA.............NOOOOOOOO WAY!!!!!!!!!!
The hypocrisy on this forum is deplorable!

The only reason there is no intl service there is it's not allowed. I mean, come on: You understand if it was allowed some airline would already be doing it? And it would not be SWA...

It's not good business to exclude my company for decades from the same opportunity SWA now wants.

So you are saying they should add more flights to an already saturated market in IAH? Why not look for other un-tapped or under served markets. I guess I just don't understand your objections to this.

Where is SW going to get the planes to add all this international service and add large amounts of flying from Dallas in 2014 as well? 737 production is sold out and their deliveries will be used to replace older 737's and/or 717's. You can add ASM's be replacing smaller planes with 737-800's but you can't go to more places without more airframes. Are they going to drop some other markets to make room for new ones? They are making announcements like they are growing but they are not growing the fleet size; where do the planes come from?

Gary Kelly has stated that our -300/-500 retirement schedule is flexible. Not that that's an ideal situation as these airframes are a bit long in tooth.

And.... I wouldn't expect UAL/CAL do anything differently. They have a right to try to protect their market share. Truth be known though, they and everyone else know that these gates will be built and SWA will be flying south out of HOU in 2015. I do however think its a very cheap shot that Smisek has stated that 1300 employees would be "displaced" as a result of SWA opening up these gates. He is in effect, ransoming these employees as a way of swaying public opinion and the Mayor's office. Very cheap shot.

The markets are being dropped on the AT side. 22 out of 69 will remain.

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/...es-which-airline-cities-make-the-cut/608722/1

Also, SWA will get 20 of our 737s over the next 2.5 years. So far 32 737s are in limbo on the AT side to support int'l ops until SWA can start that service. GK just put out 18 months at the earliest before SWA sells its first international ticket. AT also had some deliveries that will go to SWA as well. All part of fleet replacement. In May AirTran will start flying to Mexico out TX for the first time. The IT issues prevent SWA/AT from code sharing therefore, AT will also start intra-state flying to feed those international flights. If SWA had a magic wand to make all the transition issues disappear I'm sure they would use it.

Btw-

There most certainly are. The Houston city council has to lift the non-international status from Hobby. That's an agreement they made with CAL that allowed us to feel confident we could spend billions (yep, with a B) on the airport. It'd be one heck of a backstab after they've extracted so much money from CAL/UAL (and our customers) to welch on this good faith deal and let SWA kneecap us.

I'm all for kneecapping. Hey flop did you find your bs schedules of cal flying cleveland to hobby yet? Didn't think so. Only thing that came into hobby since 1995 from continental was either a emb120 , atr , or a beech 1900.

What I don't enjoy is other companies doing everything in their power to limit my income (and my company's) potential. Southwest has done nothing to prohibit any other company from operating from DAL or HOU, so why should we sit around and let Unitental whine and cry and say they'll lose thousands of jobs.

Your company's potential? Among your "potential" are you counting the possibility you can/should be allowed to subvert good faith agreements between municipalities and other airlines? Because that's precious few steps from SWA "warriors" someday showing up at my house and slashing the tires on my airport car! What, are we suppose to not take issue with these antics and subterfuge? You get to run wild and we've got to obey the rules?

And btw: you need to get spooled up on the Love Field deal. Your statement "SWA has never done anything to prohibit any other company..." Yike! You ought to know better than that...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back