• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA...Too Prepared???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The type rating...you know SWA has that requirement for insurance purposes...Part of the deal is they need to hire 737 typed pilots...by doing this they will save a bunch of money on their insurance. I am not 100% sure about this but I believe it has been documented to say that. Overall the applicant and new hire, in turn, is probably more experienced than average. CAL has hired guys without a single hour of PIC turbine. Has that made Cal unsafer? no...does it matter? no...but I bet to insurance companies and attorneys it does. By having this requirement SWA has gone past that and in turn saved money. So if an applicant already has the type, well that means they are ready now...and thats what they need. The day they run out of 737 type rated applicants then the scene might change...but I doubt it. Also, they have turned down a gargantuous amount of 737 type rated pilots...so this also disapproves what you are saying. If that was the case then they would not hire or interview a single applicant that did not have a type. They are hiring guys without types you know...in fact, turning down guys with types over guys without types. Having a type means nothing...except in their eyes you are ready now. Look at it like this...right now it is taking about 3 months from day one of the pool to class date. That is plenty of time to get a type if hired. It's a choice we make...if a pilot goes into the interview with a type, then maybe it does show dedication to SWA...but it's a choice this pilot made...not SWA. If you have the goods they will still hire you. It's more competitive to get the interview without the type...but that's the choice each person individually makes...not SWA.

You're probably correct about the insurance thing, but you aren't addressing my question.

How does requiring a 737 type rating help the PD identify those who possess a "warrior spirit, a servant heart, and a fun luving attitude"?

OBTW, I can find a couple of thousand if not ten thousand pilots with legitimate 121PIC time in aircraft similar to the fluf. Do you believe that one of them is somehow less qualified to be an SWA newhire than a 135Metroliner pilot who just bought his 737 rating and has never flown 121?

Great post everyone! So basically what the whole interview/hiring process comes down to is PFM.

You know the loudest guy in the crewroom, kind of annoying but always draws attention because he tells great stories, that is who will get the job. Usually when this annoying, loud guy gets hired, the rest of the crew room scatches there heads and says "why him?" Its because these guys tell great stories.

Ever hear a SWA guy get asked a simple question by ATC? Something along the lines of:

ATC:"Southwest XXX, say speed"

SWA: (in that finger nail on the chalkboard Texass slur) "Well we indicatunnn about decimaaaall sebum sebum and willun to put just about whatever it is is you want in d'winduh"

Simple question. Too long of an answer.

I suppose since you spend such long days in tight quarters of that cramped 737 cockpit that you better be able to keep the other guy entertained. Pair that with the noisy cockpit and you better have a good octave range to match the story so the other guy can hear you.

I heard one SWA guy in LAX recently that spent entirely too much time talking like a hay seed on the radio for a taxi instruction that did not require the numerous words he was cranking out.

The great thing about living in America is freedom of choice. Plain and simple. We make decisions based on our own requirements and then we live with them whether good or bad. Have I made some wrong choices in this business? Absolutely. Could I have made better choices along the way? Probably. However, what counts in the long run is that you live with those decisions and make the best of it. I have been at CAL now since 05 and it has been great. I love the flying and can honestly say this is the best job I have ever had in this business and I have had many. Will it last? Only time will tell but in the meantime I plan to enjoy it to the utmost. All I can say is to pursue your dreams and do what you can to achieve them whether it is to work at SWA, FEDeX, CAL, etc... Everyone has a choice and that's what makes us different.

Oh, bye the way I am sitting here writing this in my hotel room in Japan. Flying back to Honolulu tonite. Fantastic.

Last edited:
I heard one SWA guy that spent entirely too much time talking .

Unlike your typically ceaseless and boring anti-SWA tirades?

The great thing about living in America is freedom of choice. Plain and simple. We make decisions based on our own requirements and then we live with them whether good or bad. Have I made some wrong choices in this business? Absolutely. Could I have made better choices along the way? Probably. However, what counts in the long run is that you live with those decisions and make the best of it. I have been at CAL now since 05 and it has been great. I love the flying and can honestly say this is the best job I have ever had in this business and I have had many. Will it last? Only time will tell but in the meantime I plan to enjoy it to the utmost. All I can say is to pursue your dreams and do what you can to achieve them whether it is to work at SWA, FEDeX, CAL, etc... Everyone has a choice and that's what makes us different.

Oh, bye the way I am sitting here writing this in my hotel room in Japan. Flying back to Honolulu tonite. Fantastic.

I have to agree...life is all what you make of it. CAL, FedEx, UPS, SWA, (insert airline name)...it's all what you make of it. There will be good times and bad...in the end it's all about what one makes of life.

How about those ebonic answers from those unicef playaz at eeoc inc!
Right to the race card. Do you have to wear a Klan suit to your SWA interview or are you the exception to the rule. I can share the post you have sent me if you wish.

They could be like those 2 fools in PVD who crossed how many active runways and absolutely NO clue what planet they were on. But hey, look at what eeoc has done for them, ebonics and all!
Or those two fools in BUR or the other two fools in MDW. I have a feeling they probably wished they were on another planet after leaving the jet outside the airport boundary. You've had enough F-ups to probably warrant not tossing stones. But instead you are an arrogant imbecile that is best suited for living in the Herb Tur$.

And oh by the way. Looky what I found Ms. Scarlett, SWA is part of this program also. http://www.obap.org/Programs/programs-scholarship-airline.asp

Holy Taco Senor'
http://www.southwest.com/careers/stars/star_jul06.html

And for the Grand Finale. Is this you Bosley?????
http://www.southwest.com/careers/stars/star_sep05.html

Last edited:
MRFlyer,

Wanna keep score?

Gup

Score what? You have Casper Bosley saying that UAL is the only carrier with a minority pilot and it appears there are a few at SWA also. Bosley also thinks UAL is the only carrier to have had an accident or incident. All in all I am just supplying a little reality to his life.

Bosley's website: www.bosley.com

Latest resources

Back