SWA...Too Prepared???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ASA Captain

I have seen numerous posts about interviewees being too prepared.

I did NOT do a official prep before my first interview in 2004. My wife had lots of experience with the TMAAT questions from working in HR and I practiced with her once. Crash and Burn.

The second time, early this year, I prepped with Judy Tarver. She had pointed out that I was leaving out important details in my story. I decided to spell out the details (ac, seat, city, crew name), and then go through the story.

Of course I have been trying to examine why I got shot down again, and I fear that my way of communicating the situation details first then telling the story was mistaken for being canned or too prepped.

I had an "in" or two, but that made no difference. Who knows?

I am more than eager to work at SWA, and I don't think I was arrogant about my chances...especially the second time around.

I worked within SWA, have a deep desire to work there again, had numerous strong recommendations (some from within the company), one speeding ticket, two check busts years ago, and a history of going out of my way to help people everywhere I have worked.

It is very disheartening.
:(

Last edited:
The only point I have about being prepared is, it is a good thing. Would you go into a checkride unprepared? No. Why go to an interview unprepared. Now, how to make that work for you. Most importantly, memorizing details about yourself is probably a bad thing and HR picks up on that. I approached it by reviewing probable TMAAT questions with events I had participated in, the key is what these events meant to me and or what they offered the organization or others, not the verbatum response. Everytime I retold those stories, it was fresh, unrehearsed, different. I did not have a canned answer for any one TMAAT, I had a few "story lines". I even used one story for about 3 questions.

Being nervous is expected, add to that a canned answer and now they have a doubt about you. Remember, first impressions, if you keep stumbling, they pick up on it. On the other hand, I had to delay a few answers because I locked up, took my time, then answered best I could. I had a real bad night before the interview, like 2 hours sleep. I left the hotel knowing i would bomb, so I just decided to go have fun. That was the key for me, get to know the folks who you are talking to, then tell them what they want to know, who you are.

Oh, keep trying.

I prepped with Judy Tarver.

And what was the question again?

one speeding ticket, two check busts years ago, and a history of going out of my way to help people everywhere I have worked.

Wow, an honest guy on these boards.

I think that most airlines today, do not hire "pilots", they hire "story tellers". Its all about....."tell me a time when you had an emergency" or "tell me a time when you didnt get along with your coworkers".

You know the loudest guy in the crewroom, kind of annoying but always draws attention because he tells great stories, that is who will get the job. Usually when this annoying, loud guy gets hired, the rest of the crew room scatches there heads and says "why him?" Its because these guys tell great stories.

We can all show up to work on time and fly airplanes, but we cant all tell good stories.

Most of us that interviewed and got rejected all thought that we did well enough in the interview to get hired. Most of us know of one or two people that got hired that make you just scratch your head and go huh? The review and selection process looking from the outside in looks rather randomm and subjective, I'm sure that's not the case, but that's how it looks. In my opinion they need a really good reason to reject you on the second time through, not, too nervous, sounded too canned, looked away too many times etc. . . . I know those things are all important, but they are not deal breakers in my book. I guess it does'nt really matter what we think though, because it's SWA game and they make up the rules and if we don't like it we can choose not too play. To me the only advice I could give is don't be bitter, it's not worth it, get prep because it just seems totally foolish not to prepare oneself for such a big event, and if given another chance remember that they don't owe you anything and just be yourself, have fun and enjoy the free lunch.

I prepped with Judy Tarver for my first interview last year, and while she was very nice, I don't feel she did much to improve my interview readiness. I got shot down as well. I'm not bitter, but between the $8000 type rating and the $370 for two nights in that Renaissance (the cheap rate was "unavailable" that week), calling it a free lunch is more than a bit of a stretch.

I'm just wondering why people pay $8000+ when you know your chance of getting hired the first time is only 20% max? Someone please explain, serious, no flame bait.

Wow, an honest guy on these boards.

I think that most airlines today, do not hire "pilots", they hire "story tellers". Its all about....."tell me a time when you had an emergency" or "tell me a time when you didnt get along with your coworkers".

You know the loudest guy in the crewroom, kind of annoying but always draws attention because he tells great stories, that is who will get the job. Usually when this annoying, loud guy gets hired, the rest of the crew room scatches there heads and says "why him?" Its because these guys tell great stories.

We can all show up to work on time and fly airplanes, but we cant all tell good stories.

I need to laugh, SWA hired him about 4 to 5 yrs ago and he loves to write up captains .

PS never been written up by him by hear him any time he is arround. :)

I have seen numerous posts about interviewees being too prepared.

I did NOT do a official prep before my first interview in 2004. My wife had lots of experience with the TMAAT questions from working in HR and I practiced with her once. Crash and Burn.

The second time, early this year, I prepped with Judy Tarver. She had pointed out that I was leaving out important details in my story. I decided to spell out the details (ac, seat, city, crew name), and then go through the story.

Of course I have been trying to examine why I got shot down again, and I fear that my way of communicating the situation details first then telling the story was mistaken for being canned or too prepped.

I had an "in" or two, but that made no difference. Who knows?

I am more than eager to work at SWA, and I don't think I was arrogant about my chances...especially the second time around.

I worked within SWA, have a deep desire to work there again, had numerous strong recommendations (some from within the company), one speeding ticket, two check busts years ago, and a history of going out of my way to help people everywhere I have worked.

I think you may be over analyzing here....there's more to the interview process than just answering their questions the right way. Maybe it was because you were too rehearsed...maybe you didn't put enough emphasis on the RESULTS of each situation (you did answer in the SAR format, right?)....maybe it was something in the LOI....maybe it was your tie....who knows. They know who they are looking for, and for whatever reason they saw something they didn't like. I know so many exceptional pilots with great, outgoing personalities who seem to fit the SWA mold, and they didn't get hired. Makes you scratch your head wondering "how did he NOT get hired?" But there is a reason....unfortunately we'll never know why.

I agree with scoreboard's advice...if/when you get the opportunity again, just go in and have fun. Be yourself. That way, you can at least look at yourself in the mirror knowing that you showed them who YOU really are. If you get hired, GREAT. If not, it should be easier to accept the fact that you're not the type of person they're looking for.

I'm just wondering why people pay $8000+ when you know your chance of getting hired the first time is only 20% max? Someone please explain, serious, no flame bait.

Especially when I keep hearing of people who have gotten hired with out the type...

And I have talked to people at CAL who look at a 737 type with out any time or a job with a bit of skepticism.

Latest resources

Back