• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to speed up Airtran integration.....article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah SWA mgmt took sides with AAI and tried to save them from themselves...

I think SWA was sincere with their first offer. They genuinely believed that the money would replace the seniority. Perhaps they drew this assumption from years of negotiations with SWAPA. From a retirement stand point maybe that was a better deal. But most people I talked too could not get past the seniority loss. No one was yelling "you can have my seniority, just show me the money!" Jerry Maguire style.

I agree.

Gary put everything into the first deal. The MEC calling his bluff didn't work out too well, unfortunately. It was not surprising to most on this side of the fence.

I think SWA was sincere with their first offer. They genuinely believed that the money would replace the seniority. Perhaps they drew this assumption from years of negotiations with SWAPA. From a retirement stand point maybe that was a better deal. But most people I talked too could not get past the seniority loss. No one was yelling "you can have my seniority, just show me the money!" Jerry Maguire style.

I disagree. Look what one of your cohorts stated a year or so ago before the acquisition was announced. Seems to me he would have easily taken money over seniority. It's the quote in my signature line.

I disagree. Look what one of your cohorts stated a year or so ago before the acquisition was announced. Seems to me he would have easily taken money over seniority. It's the quote in my signature line.

Lol. Ok.

Some are easier to please than others apparently. None of us will ever know what arbitration would have brought. If it was going to be such a slam dunk for SWA pilots, why did GK go through such efforts to prevent it? Is this the new group think? GK forced the deal on both sides to avoid the AT pilots from being stapled? I hope we can find better things to talk about when we fly together.

Last edited:
"If it was going to be such a slam dunk for SWA pilots, why did GK go through such efforts to prevent it?"

He needs the FAT pilots to come to work...

I agree.

Gary put everything into the first deal. The MEC calling his bluff didn't work out too well, unfortunately. It was not surprising to most on this side of the fence.

That sounds like punishment. What will Swapa do in the upcoming negotiations? Fold like a deck of cards? They better, GK sounds like "the hammer....." You guys will probably accept a 50% paycut so you can regain true LCC status..... You had better, GK sounds like THE HAMMER....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Unfortunately your management didn't learn from the first two mergers. First of all, STAY OUT OF SLI PROCESS. If you favor one side, the other side will never forget it. That is BAD...... It's always bad to have 1/3 of your pilot group upset. Maybe the boss thought the pay would make up for it, until he tries to take some away in future negotiations.

Bye Bye---General Lee

That sounds like punishment. What will Swapa do in the upcoming negotiations? Fold like a deck of cards? They better, GK sounds like "the hammer....." You guys will probably accept a 50% paycut so you can regain true LCC status..... You had better, GK sounds like THE HAMMER....

Bye Bye---General Lee

You're an idiot.

You really have NO idea what your talking about when it comes to Southwest. Please go back over the the regional board where you belong.

You guys will probably accept a 50% paycut so you can regain true LCC status.....

Bye Bye---General Lee
On the date of merger announcement, Southwest and AirTran averaged 134 seats per departure on their fleet of B717s and B737s. By the end of 2015 when the B717s are gone, all the B737-300s and -700s have 143 seats, and there approximately 100 B737-800s on the property, the average seats per departure will be 148 or about 10% higher than pre-merger. This will help reduce CASM considerably adding to the CASM advantage Southwest currently enjoys over the legacies.

Kelly is predicting 15% ROIC for 2013 with the merger revenues synergies finally kicking in significantly. A little too early to predict the demise of SWA General Lee. Just keep praying Delta's international yields continue to hold. Europe is a mess, Japan is too, and the US isn't far behind possible taking premium cabin yields down the toilet.

Latest resources

Back