• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to have a Q1 loss?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's about time we lost some money at SWA. Hopefully, we lose big time. Our stock always goes down when we make money. Obviously now it will go up. Buy some LUV and stick it in your pocket. It might be worth something, like a coke.

Hmmm, very scary if true. I wonder what the plan is? On the AT side they are delaying pilots that were supposed to transition, and the 717 lines are about 10 hours less credit each month. On the SWA side you have sick policy abuse and the upcoming pilot contract. Top it off with fleet modernization and management has its hands full. Hopefully in the near future we will have some clarity on some of the future plans. However, in my opinion waiting 3 years to fully integrate AT is a mistake. It seems at AT that they our trying to lose money. Only together as one can we truly kick some butt!

I don't think SWA will be the only big carrier to report a loss in Q1. UAL and DAL will also likely post a significant loss. UAL and DAL both posted losses in Q1 2011 and still ended the year with profits north of $1 billion. The first quarter is still a very tough quarter to make money in, especially with Jet A at $135+ a barrel.

Not when you are making $600 million plus in ancillary revenue (fees) per quarter. Look at the other thread. It really helps. Tell GK!

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Hmmm, very scary if true. I wonder what the plan is? On the AT side they are delaying pilots that were supposed to transition, and the 717 lines are about 10 hours less credit each month. On the SWA side you have sick policy abuse and the upcoming pilot contract. Top it off with fleet modernization and management has its hands full. Hopefully in the near future we will have some clarity on some of the future plans. However, in my opinion waiting 3 years to fully integrate AT is a mistake. It seems at AT that they our trying to lose money. Only together as one can we truly kick some butt!

Speaking of 717s......... The rumors are back. No idea if any are true or not.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Those hedges were a huge success for SWA, but it was not the only good thing going for the airline. They have kept their debt down and they have the best company culture out there, great reputation too.

It seems simple, either they need to raise fares (add fees) or cut costs. I talked to a senior pilot there that mentioned some areas have gotten lax and fat. Too many years at the top.

There sure are a lot of LUV haters out there I've noticed. Jealously maybe? I know I am.

Those hedges were a huge success for SWA, but it was not the only good thing going for the airline. They have kept their debt down and they have the best company culture out there, great reputation too.

It seems simple, either they need to raise fares (add fees) or cut costs. I talked to a senior pilot there that mentioned some areas have gotten lax and fat. Too many years at the top.

There sure are a lot of LUV haters out there I've noticed. Jealously maybe? I know I am.

Jealousy? Look at the headlines. They are posting losses, and they don't charge as many fees and don't always go along with fare increases. Who's fault is that? You're right, they have low debt and a nice balance sheet. But, if they want to keep posting profits during this high oil period, then they will have to do something about it. They unfortunately don't set the fares like they used to 10 years ago anymore. Adapt or lose more money. Maybe they will cut more costs to keep their fares the same, but employees won't like that.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back