• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to England?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One day you may really enjoy a wife and kids, I don't believe you have a family now. On the other hand, if you are married with kid's the what the hell is 8,605 post on FI about? :confused:

I don't have kids yet, but my wife is in her early 30s (she says "maybe" in a few years) and does very well at her job, making her the bread winner by far. She and I do travel when her schedule allows it. I enjoy flightinfo for the debate and banter, and I also think SWA is a good job, just not the job and routes I would want to have or fly. The pay, on the other hand, is great. Have a good one, and don't get too teed off about my LBB rants. I just really don't want to go there again. You may not want to go to Europe on 10 hour flights, just like I don't want more than 2 legs a day max.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I really enjoy my job, and one of the reasons is that I don't ever, ever have to go back to LBB again. I enjoy my San Juan and St Thomas turns. If I need a layover, I try to get SAN or SEA. This summer I will try to get Anchorage layovers. When I finally go over to the INTL side, I will get Venice or Nice. Those trips are more like a mini-vacation. You know (well, maybe you don't) what they say about INTL flying? It is a first class buffet (yes, we get first class meals--in the contract) on the way over to happy hour. See ya. You need to enjoy---DAL--LBB--ABQ--PHX--LAS--BOI--PDX tomorrow.

Bye Bye--General Lee

DUDE

When you do grow up to the int. side and sow your oats for awhile you WILL discover its a friggin airport and a hotel. Been there done that. The days of the "mini vacations" are long gone. Week in Hong Kong, 5 days in Paris done it. Just keep telling yourself its al worth it now considering your HUGE pay cuts. Have you seen the prices in Europe these days? Have to be a pre Bankruptcy Delta Captain to afford such things.

DUDE

When you do grow up to the int. side and sow your oats for awhile you WILL discover its a friggin airport and a hotel. Been there done that. The days of the "mini vacations" are long gone. Week in Hong Kong, 5 days in Paris done it. Just keep telling yourself its al worth it now considering your HUGE pay cuts. Have you seen the prices in Europe these days? Have to be a pre Bankruptcy Delta Captain to afford such things.

Sure it is expensive. Thank gawd my wife does great at her job. And, I enjoy the job still after BK and 11 years at this place, so I think I will find some fun things to do when I go over to the INTL side. I still enjoy the DOM side right now. Thanks Dad, thanks for seeing it all and becoming jaded. You need to quit.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

Just so ya know, I have actually been a MDW-based pilot for a couple years now; never even flown into LBB. LBB isn't the point (it's Texas so I'm sure they're great folks down there). But thanks for illuminating me on how things are at my OWN company.

The point is, if you are going to speak so authoritatively about MY company, you should go to the trouble to get the facts straight (beyond just regurgitating some story you heard from a buddy who knows a guy who has a neighbor that flew for SWA ten years ago.) I don't work for Delta but I like the company and always have. I wish you guys the best. But I would never try to talk authoritatively about delta just based on rumors I hear or threads I read. That would be ignorant and stupid.

I read what you write about SWA and it makes me laugh because it's so off the mark. Not that it matters, really. maybe you're even doing us a favor putting out all the bad gouge.

General,

Just so ya know, I have actually been a MDW-based pilot for a couple years now; never even flown into LBB. LBB isn't the point (it's Texas so I'm sure they're great folks down there). But thanks for illuminating me on how things are at my OWN company.

The point is, if you are going to speak so authoritatively about MY company, you should go to the trouble to get the facts straight (beyond just regurgitating some story you heard from a buddy who knows a guy who has a neighbor that flew for SWA ten years ago.) I don't work for Delta but I like the company and always have. I wish you guys the best. But I would never try to talk authoritatively about delta just based on rumors I hear or threads I read. That would be ignorant and stupid.

I read what you write about SWA and it makes me laugh because it's so off the mark. Not that it matters, really. maybe you're even doing us a favor putting out all the bad gouge.

Really? So, I don't have any friends that fly for SWA? Really? You are wrong. I can give you exact pairings (not the numbers to give away the people---can't do that) and rotation lengths and routes. My friends say they are tired and don't know if they can handle 5 leg days and 25 min turns for another 20 or more years. Why would I lie about that? Your flying isn't desired by everyone. Get that in your head. Sure, your company is well run and makes a lot of money, and so can you. Great. Not everyone wants to be a corndog. My friends hit the nail on the head, you work really hard. After a long transcon, it is NOT over most of the time. You have atleast one more leg to go, and exhaustion sets in. We make less right now, but that can change, just like when we were making a lot more than you (and helped you set your new rates, thank you very much---you're welcome). Back in the late 90's you had 737 Captains leaving for UAL---true fact, and they were then furloughed. Your company is great now, and you have great pay for what you fly. But, don't tell me I don't know what it is like for you---we all know people who actually do it. Enjoy the 1 2 3 rule and your high pay. I will enjoy my flying, and I really don't have to go to LBB. You could. And a SWA FO I met really did say "they work us like dogs." No joke. Some people don't want to fly like that.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Work like a dog? Are you crazy? You still insist you know the situation at my company better than I do as an employee. Simply amazing.

Maybe you're just incredibly lazy and have an unbelievably poor work ethic. I don't know. But if this work is "hard" and thay are "working me to death" than I would hate to see a real job. I "work" like 12 days a week and it's pretty much all fun and games. I don't know who you're hanging around but keep up spreading the bad gouge - I guess it'll scare away people with your concept of what "hard work" is.

Wow. You actually DEFEND your position of thinking you know a company better than its own employees. Amazing. These guys are right - you ARE crazy.

You are one lonely pathetic little boy General. I do feel sorry for you.

You don't have to, I really enjoy my life. I enjoy my wife, my job, and this board. All is peachy keen. Quit feeling sorry for something that is actually fun and good. Have a great one.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Work like a dog? Are you crazy? You still insist you know the situation at my company better than I do as an employee. Simply amazing.

Maybe you're just incredibly lazy and have an unbelievably poor work ethic. I don't know. But if this work is "hard" and thay are "working me to death" than I would hate to see a real job. I "work" like 12 days a week and it's pretty much all fun and games. I don't know who you're hanging around but keep up spreading the bad gouge - I guess it'll scare away people with your concept of what "hard work" is.

Wow. You actually DEFEND your position of thinking you know a company better than its own employees. Amazing. These guys are right - you ARE crazy.

Okay....I talk to people often who work there too. They must be lying to me. Yeah, that's the ticket.....

You may LUV doing 5 or 6 legs a day now, but in a few years that really will wear off. It will. The joy of doing LAS--PHX--ABQ--HOU--MSY--BHM in one day will go away. (do you deny trips like that exist? Liar.) You will dream of one leg days, or maybe a 30 hour layover somewhere nice. Oh wait, you have a family and you want to see them more.....Your family never get's on your nerves? Riiiiiiiight. You don't wish for a little more sleep somewhere tropical or somewhere where things are waiting for you to explore outside your doorstep? Our Paris (FRANCE, not TEXAS) layovers are wonderful, with the Louvre nearby and other interesting museums and restaurants with interesting food and drink. Oh wait, you could do that on your own time---on your own DIME.

I am sure your company can be fun, but most of your schedules are exhausting, and I know enough SWA people to say that. To say that your "good hard working schedules" aren't productive is one thing, they are, but they are also exhausting or will be for you in 10 years. Enjoy that. I will be enjoying INTL flying, or maybe I will be back to domestic and fly 2 or maybe even 3 legs a day. Ouch.

Your company is great, but not everyone wants your schedules. Nah. And they aren't a secret---someone besides you knows what the average trip at SWA is all about. Fun for a couple years I am sure...

Bye Bye--General Lee

Again.......... I guess you're right. I don't know what I'm talking about. My lines bear nothing in common with what you describe.. Sure those lines exist, particulrly out of DAL. But in 2 1/2 years I have had pratically NO days like you keep arguing we have everyday. No crap that would be exhausting. The only factual thing you said that's true across the board is our 25 - min turns. Personally I hate wasting time and would rather get my flying done efficiently then go home, but hey - that's just me. Sitting around waiting through an incredibly slow boarding process isn't me cup of tea.

But I'm wasting my time and will stop. You amazingly feel you know every detail about other people's situations better than those who are actually experiencing them. Amazing..... I don't judge your situation by the 9-yr Delta guy who quit you guys to come here and tells me how much better he loves it, I know that's just ONE guy. Every situation is different. If you love your job so much that's GREAT. Good for you.

Adios amigo.

Latest resources

Back