• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to England?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Again.......... I guess you're right. I don't know what I'm talking about. My lines bear nothing in common with what you describe.. Sure those lines exist, particulrly out of DAL. But in 2 1/2 years I have had pratically NO days like you keep arguing we have everyday. No crap that would be exhausting. The only factual thing you said that's true across the board is our 25 - min turns. Personally I hate wasting time and would rather get my flying done efficiently then go home, but hey - that's just me. Sitting around waiting through an incredibly slow boarding process isn't me cup of tea.

But I'm wasting my time and will stop. You amazingly feel you know every detail about other people's situations better than those who are actually experiencing them. Amazing..... I don't judge your situation by the 9-yr Delta guy who quit you guys to come here and tells me how much better he loves it, I know that's just ONE guy. Every situation is different. If you love your job so much that's GREAT. Good for you.

Adios amigo.

Hey, don't get too mad at me. I was just stating that not everyone wants your average schedules. You do work harder than most, and are more productive. That can be good and bad. Enjoy that high pay, that is one of many good things about your company. And, your stews are fun.

Later gator.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hey GL the average is like 2.87 legs per day. I have also never had the days you mention. You are a real tool. I know enough people at the shrine delta and they hate the job and company. Yup working hard is a problem for some people. I now understand your lazy. But 12 days a month 2,3 maybe once in awhile 4 legs in a day wont kill me. Oh yeh and I havent spent the night in LBB, go figure. Your friends at SWA must like to work like that, because it is there choice. The lines do exist, but you make it sound like it is half the company. None of my (actual, unlike your make believe ones) buds that are with SWA fly the lines you mention. HMMM we sure must be lucky.

Okay....I talk to people often who work there too. They must be lying to me. Yeah, that's the ticket.....

You may LUV doing 5 or 6 legs a day now, but in a few years that really will wear off. It will. The joy of doing LAS--PHX--ABQ--HOU--MSY--BHM in one day will go away. (do you deny trips like that exist? Liar.) You will dream of one leg days, or maybe a 30 hour layover somewhere nice. Oh wait, you have a family and you want to see them more.....Your family never get's on your nerves? Riiiiiiiight. You don't wish for a little more sleep somewhere tropical or somewhere where things are waiting for you to explore outside your doorstep? Our Paris (FRANCE, not TEXAS) layovers are wonderful, with the Louvre nearby and other interesting museums and restaurants with interesting food and drink. Oh wait, you could do that on your own time---on your own DIME.

I am sure your company can be fun, but most of your schedules are exhausting, and I know enough SWA people to say that. To say that your "good hard working schedules" aren't productive is one thing, they are, but they are also exhausting or will be for you in 10 years. Enjoy that. I will be enjoying INTL flying, or maybe I will be back to domestic and fly 2 or maybe even 3 legs a day. Ouch.

Your company is great, but not everyone wants your schedules. Nah. And they aren't a secret---someone besides you knows what the average trip at SWA is all about. Fun for a couple years I am sure...

Bye Bye--General Lee

Are your buddies that are so sick & tired of working at SWA applying to DL now that you're hiring?

didn't think so.

Really?

Okay....I talk to people often who work there too. They must be lying to me. Yeah, that's the ticket.....

You may LUV doing 5 or 6 legs a day now, but in a few years that really will wear off. It will. The joy of doing LAS--PHX--ABQ--HOU--MSY--BHM in one day will go away. (do you deny trips like that exist? Liar.) You will dream of one leg days, or maybe a 30 hour layover somewhere nice. Oh wait, you have a family and you want to see them more.....Your family never get's on your nerves? Riiiiiiiight. You don't wish for a little more sleep somewhere tropical or somewhere where things are waiting for you to explore outside your doorstep? Our Paris (FRANCE, not TEXAS) layovers are wonderful, with the Louvre nearby and other interesting museums and restaurants with interesting food and drink. Oh wait, you could do that on your own time---on your own DIME.

I am sure your company can be fun, but most of your schedules are exhausting, and I know enough SWA people to say that. To say that your "good hard working schedules" aren't productive is one thing, they are, but they are also exhausting or will be for you in 10 years. Enjoy that. I will be enjoying INTL flying, or maybe I will be back to domestic and fly 2 or maybe even 3 legs a day. Ouch.

Your company is great, but not everyone wants your schedules. Nah. And they aren't a secret---someone besides you knows what the average trip at SWA is all about. Fun for a couple years I am sure...

Bye Bye--General Lee

Your couple of anecdotal reports are pretty misleading. You don't see anyone here presuming to know your life and schedule based on a couple of Delta pilots' reports, reports that no one can confirm, reports that don't have a timeframe or any other particulars, reports that quite possibly are being embellished either by the source of the info or by someone who's heard the info.

If anyone is interested in the particulars of SWA schedules, I can attest that I rarely fly more than 4 legs in a day, and by rarely, I mean there are months that go by that it doesn't happen. I can also attest that many of my trips fly only two legs in a day, often a transcontinental flight or a flight up or down the eastern seaboard, and that I have indeed had days that consisted of only one leg.

I won't argue that our days and trips are often fairly dense, which is to say that we don't sit at the airport for an hour or more between flights. That means that when I'm on the road, I'm making money, not sitting and waiting to make more money. My schedule is 17-19 days off per month, typically 3 on and 4 off. I leave home on Thursday afternoon and am home by Saturday night. Not bad, eh?

Maybe that’s why ATA recently reorganized and purchased World Airways? Now they own ATA, North American, and World, and of course SWA owns a big share in ATA so maybe the Open Sky agreement prompted SWA to plan for international flights?

Personally, I think Global Economy is great! – if SWA decides to get into international travel we’ll be able to proudly show off our “trailer-park travelers” all over the world! Wal-Marts of the world – UNITE! ;)

Folks, lighten up, I am just joking….

Btw, I wouldn't be surprised if SkyBus decides to go after that market in the future, and of course Virgin America will code share with Virgin Atlantic, might be a pretty brilliant concept actually, fly on the “same” airline all the way – even though we all know Virgin America will NOT be controlled by Branson, riiiight?

Last edited:
OK, I've got a 6 leg day on my next trip so there are days like that at this airline. I also fly out of TX, so that probably has something to do with it. I don't think that most of the pilot bases have 6 leg days very often with the exception of the DAL and HOU bases.

Hey GL the average is like 2.87 legs per day. I have also never had the days you mention. You are a real tool. I know enough people at the shrine delta and they hate the job and company. Yup working hard is a problem for some people. I now understand your lazy. But 12 days a month 2,3 maybe once in awhile 4 legs in a day wont kill me. Oh yeh and I havent spent the night in LBB, go figure. Your friends at SWA must like to work like that, because it is there choice. The lines do exist, but you make it sound like it is half the company. None of my (actual, unlike your make believe ones) buds that are with SWA fly the lines you mention. HMMM we sure must be lucky.

Thanks for the "average" amount of legs per day--2.87....okay? Anyway, the average means the highs and lows mixed, so you really have a 4 day trip with 5 legs on the first day, a couple on the second and third (transcons plus one more dreaded flight that makes you puke), and then 5 the last day. Sounds about right. No thanks. And I am lazy? Huh? I tend to do two leg days (turns from ATL to San Juan or St Thomas, and back to ATL--7:45 per day) or maybe a 3 or 4 day with 2 legs max. If I see 3 legs, I try to avoid it, unless it is overtime pay. Does that mean I am lazy, or smart? And, my SWA friends are telling me the truth. I am sure there are some trips that have fewer legs, but those are probably tough to come by. Even a 3 leg day for you could be a killer---like ORF--LAS--SMF--PDX. That will cause extreme exhaustion for you, if not now, in 10 years. Sorry, not everyone wants to fly like that. If you do, great. Enjoy.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Your couple of anecdotal reports are pretty misleading. You don't see anyone here presuming to know your life and schedule based on a couple of Delta pilots' reports, reports that no one can confirm, reports that don't have a timeframe or any other particulars, reports that quite possibly are being embellished either by the source of the info or by someone who's heard the info.

If anyone is interested in the particulars of SWA schedules, I can attest that I rarely fly more than 4 legs in a day, and by rarely, I mean there are months that go by that it doesn't happen. I can also attest that many of my trips fly only two legs in a day, often a transcontinental flight or a flight up or down the eastern seaboard, and that I have indeed had days that consisted of only one leg.

I won't argue that our days and trips are often fairly dense, which is to say that we don't sit at the airport for an hour or more between flights. That means that when I'm on the road, I'm making money, not sitting and waiting to make more money. My schedule is 17-19 days off per month, typically 3 on and 4 off. I leave home on Thursday afternoon and am home by Saturday night. Not bad, eh?

Sounds great. But, your trips are a lot more productive than ours, which means more flying. Do you always have 5 or 6 leg days? Probably not. Are your 3 leg days easy? I doubt it. You don't go LAS-PHX-LAX and call it quits, do you? No. You go OAK--PHX--BWI--MHT. That is tiring, and not everyone wants it that way. That is the point here. Sure, your pay is great, and I hope we get our 737 pay up to yours someday (actually, I hope the 777 goes that high). But, a lot of people on here extol SWA beyond belief, and think it is sacreligous to say anything bad or against the mighty SWA. I think a lot of people need to know about your schedules, so in 10 years when they are burned out from 25 minute turns (you do have those, right?) and MULTIPLE legs (is that better?) per day, they didn't ask themselves why they didn't look into a different option. I still think the majority of your flights can be fun with the fun stews, but even that can get on your nerves after awhile.

If you enjoy SWA, good for you. And, if you have that many days off without being exhausted a couple of those after you get home, then you must be Superman. High pay and lots of time off can be great, unless you are sleeping in 12 hours each day when you return.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee = incompetence

Sounds great. But, your trips are a lot more productive than ours, which means more flying. Do you always have 5 or 6 leg days? Probably not. Are your 3 leg days easy? I doubt it. You don't go LAS-PHX-LAX and call it quits, do you? No. You go OAK--PHX--BWI--MHT. That is tiring, and not everyone wants it that way. That is the point here. Sure, your pay is great, and I hope we get our 737 pay up to yours someday (actually, I hope the 777 goes that high). But, a lot of people on here extol SWA beyond belief, and think it is sacreligous to say anything bad or against the mighty SWA. I think a lot of people need to know about your schedules, so in 10 years when they are burned out from 25 minute turns (you do have those, right?) and MULTIPLE legs (is that better?) per day, they didn't ask themselves why they didn't look into a different option. I still think the majority of your flights can be fun with the fun stews, but even that can get on your nerves after awhile.

If you enjoy SWA, good for you. And, if you have that many days off without being exhausted a couple of those after you get home, then you must be Superman. High pay and lots of time off can be great, unless you are sleeping in 12 hours each day when you return.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Here is what I'm doing when I go to work next time:

337 OAK 1500 LAX 1615 700 115 30
337 LAX 1645 MDW 2045 700 400 25
337 MDW 2110 IAD 2255 700 145 1910

895 IAD 1805 MDW 2000 700 155 30
895 MDW 2030 LAX 0050 700 420 1255

82 LAX 1345 PHL 1915 700 530 2115

77 PHL 1630 LAX 2230 700 600 30
77 LAX 2300 OAK 0010 700 110 0

This comes out to 2.0 legs per day. I wish that it paid more, but 30.5 hours of pay for a four day trip is a lot better than the best four day trip I flew at my two previous airlines. I'm yet to feel exhausted after flying a trip at SWA. Then again, I was civilian before I came to SWA, so that may have something to do with it.

Latest resources

Back