• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

Gathered info from sources that is definitely encouraging:

Some new isn't new but confirmed from realiable sources

1. Projected hiring numbers for next year in the 250 range

2. Projected hiring for '04 in the 650 range. This isn't a misprint. This is what they are planning for.

3. The perception from some is our on-time performance has slipped. On time performance has averaged +/- 1% over the past 10 years. Our on-time performance now is the same as it was when SWA won the Triple Crown years ago. Other airlines have cut their schedules & stretched their down times & yet we've increased our flights & our times are still good. Everyone else has improved while we have remained constant. Doesn't mean we're not trying to improve, major efforts to continue to improve but wanted to try to dispel the "perception".

4. One of the major carriers has put up for sale their corporate headquarters & training center. They are interested in reasonable offers for all facilities. The company wishes to lease facilities which will greatly decrease costs for them. Just shows how desperate some companies are in trying to find places to cut in order to keep up with SWA.

5. Training facilities on the east coast that are for sale maybe considered for setting up an east coast training facility. Very early stages of looking at this possibility. This might lessen the chances for increases in DAL facility but this has been talked about for some time, first time I've heard it discussed among pilots. Will make BWI/MCO folks very happy.

6. Lots of discussions about internal measurement methods which will help pilots save money while flying (mostly fuel costs). If all the pilots get on board we'll be able to save a lot of fuel.

7. Long haul will make up 50% of SWA's flying much faster than most people have thought.

8. HOU new facilities will be partially open in Jan '03 with 2 additional gates.

9. SWA has moved into C concourse in BWI adding more gates plus ticket counter area out front. Passengers will be able to connect between B & C without having to go through security now...much improved. For those flying through BWI this isn't new but the expansion there will continue as planned.

10 Mood from briefer to audience is SWA is through some of the toughest parts & is now poised to leap forward to "connect" more dots. Very excited & encouraging. They are still in a "cash" conserve mode but that doesn't mean they aren't leaning forward in flt ops to start the sprint at a moment's notice. Good news for poolies.

For those out there who are still waiting for the pool to drain, the day is near but it will take some time. I haven't seen this amount of positive news from HHQ & training center since earlier this year.

Yields are still being challenged but there is slightly less concern about making money in the 4th qtr than several months ago but SWA takes nothing for granted.

Another factor that is important to remember about adding aircraft is the issue of "spares". SWA keeps a minimum number of aircraft as spares, in fact they don't keep planes parked around for that purposes. However, the increased number of ADs on the -700s has caused them to be in the hangar more frenquently & longer than originally expected. Some new aircraft (initially) maybe used to just keep the current schedule operating to make up for the higher mx factor for aircraft to have mods done to them. This may sound somewhat negative and it maybe, but only temporarily. I say all this so folks don't get too caught up with the math formula that is often used for figuring pilot/aircraft ratios.

To those awaiting interviews, having heard anything definite on that front. Will talk to folks & pass along what I hear. I would expect something in 1Q'03 due to the pool depth. Hang in there but keep all options open & keep food on the table.

Last edited:
chase said:
2. Projected hiring for '04 in the 650 range. This isn't a misprint. This is what they are planning for.
Chase,

Thanks for those words! You made a good day that much better. ;)

Any words on service to new cities, ie somewhere in South Carolina?

Yahtz

more thumbs up!!!

More good news from the Top Dog....

Reuters
Southwest CEO Sees 'Good Chance' Profit
Tuesday November 5, 2:41 pm ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Southwest Airlines Inc. (NYSE:LUV - News) Chief Executive James Parker said on Tuesday he still sees a "good chance" the airline will be profitable in the fourth quarter, barring any unanticipated event.

Dallas-based Southwest has been the only major U.S. airline to make money every quarter since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, thanks in large part to its low cost structure.

"Going forward into the fourth quarter, we would expect that if current trends continue with respect to loads and yields and costs, barring an unanticipated event, we have a good chance of being profitable," Parker told analysts attending a conference in Dallas.

;)

Any chance of SWA expanding into GA also? I know SWA picks its routes on profitability as well as route saturation, but GA or SC would help...right now it's not bad with a flight into Birmingham and then a 2 hour drive home to Hotlanta.

Also I know no new bases on for '03, but when they do resume is it still Vegas or KC with the best shot?

Les

Article in 6 Nov Dallas Morning News

More good news for poolies & wannabees. Good luck to other airlines also. Hopefully the bleeding will stop soon.

Answers to above questions on new cities or bases. Vegas will be the newest city whenever we get around to establishing it. We've already spent alot of the money on setting it up but don't expect anything before '04. When you hire 650 new pilots with 30+ airplanes coming in, you can expect a new base then.

As for GA/SC cities for new SWA cities. Pure speculation but I would expect the next cities to be further north due to population density. Where can you get the most people on the most airplanes. Harrisburg, Trenton, Richmond has been promised for a long time....just my $.02 which ain't worth much.

I also believe the sweep of Republicans in both houses will bode well for the airline industry. Terrorist insurance reform will pass, Homeland Security Bill (relieving some of the bills the airlines have) will pass, guns in cockpit, Age 60 will have an easier time of it...lots of issues that will spur the recovery of the industry sooner rather than later. Lots of good news out there today thanks to the sweep...if you're a pilot that is (even if you're a democrat!) My apologies in advance to those offended by political chatter, couldn't resist.

Southwest views horizon with hope
CEO joins analysts who expect profit in tough 4th quarter

11/06/2002

By ERIC TORBENSON / The Dallas Morning News

While other airlines are losing millions every day, Southwest Airlines stands a "good chance" of making a profit in the traditionally weak fourth quarter, chief executive Jim Parker said Tuesday.

The profit would be modest and isn't guaranteed, but early results are encouraging, Mr. Parker told a conference of analysts at the carrier's Dallas headquarters.

Even before Tuesday, analysts predicted a Southwest profit. The average of their estimates has the carrier earning 3 cents per share – about $23 million – for the three months ending Dec. 31.

Southwest's cautious optimism contrasts with its competitors' outlooks. The industry's major network carriers are expected to lose several billion dollars in the fourth quarter, with little hope for a quick recovery.

The encouraging signs for Southwest include improving traffic and a better handle on costs. Southwest's October passenger traffic met expectations, and bookings during November and December look OK, considering the overall slump for air travel, company officials said.

"It doesn't appear that things are getting any worse," chief financial officer Gary Kelly said. "But it's still a very sluggish environment out there."

To remain profitable, Southwest has to keep its costs in check until travelers want to fly more.

New pilot and mechanic contracts have increased salaries but have been partially offset by better productivity by other employees and enhanced technology. Southwest also is paying less in commissions to travel agents as more of its customers buy their tickets directly from the airline, Mr. Kelly said.

Southwest said it will continue to roll out self-service kiosks for boarding passes at the 59 U.S. airports it serves, Mr. Kelly said. The carrier will have installed 500 of the machines by the second quarter of 2003, easing the workload for Southwest's airport employees.

Southwest's concerns as it looks ahead are the high cost of war risk insurance, which is costing the airline an extra $100 million a year.

Insurers fled the war risk market after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and the uncertainty surrounding Iraq isn't helping.

Also, Southwest isn't sure how the Transportation Security Administration will meet its Dec. 31 deadline to begin screening all baggage for explosives, Mr. Parker said. Only some bags are screened now.

Southwest also reported its October traffic numbers on Tuesday. It flew 2.3 percent more revenue passenger miles – one person flown one air mile – than last October.

Southwest also flew 4.2 percent more seat miles in October compared with last October. Unlike other major carriers in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks, Southwest didn't cut its schedule. Southwest's load factor for the month, a measure of how full its planes were, fell 1.2 percentage points to 62.5 percent.

Southwest shares rose 33 cents Tuesday to close at $15.02.

Ready, Set, Go...

Hey gang,

Just flew over Boeing Field into SEATAC a bit ago and saw a brand new SWA beach ball sitting on the ramp.

Keep pumping those out you Boeing boys and girls. The more the better...

In search of more tidbits

Several months ago, somebody posted the SWA web site for BWI based crews. On it were several pages that people could access without employee numbers and passwords. Pages such as Crash Pad info, News, etc. I searched for it, but I can’t find the thread again. Could somebody post the addresses for the various bases? I think all of us poolies would all find some of the bits of information available on these sites interesting. It just might make our dreams of a line number seem all the more real. Thanks.

AF

Hire Date?

Chase (or anyone else w/ info),

Saw on another post that mentioned HR may be looking at a class date other than the latest of a person's interview or type date.

This seems to be a departure from what we assumed the normal practice to be.

Anyone with thoughts/info?

Thanks!

I don't know exactly what they're using , but when I talked to LL about a week ago, she said they were looking at both type date and interview date - I don't know the reason or the specifics... just us waiting in the pool trying to follow a solid line to the shallow end as best we can... if you hear more please let us know!

Les

Latest resources

Back