SWA TidBits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi Sierra-Hotel,

I never remember seeing the auto-throttles jockeying back and forth in cruise on the -300's. I do recall them moving somewhat during approach since they would be coupled to the airspeed mode, thereby trying to keep the airplane at the IAS dialed in the MCP.

Several other times you might notice auto/jockeying would be during a "level change" descent, i.e., idle power, followed by engine spool up in level off. VNAV descent would be another time to notice it as well, i.e., the VNAV trying to match the FMC's descent profile, which is supposed to be "the most fuel efficient" if in ECON mode, which my former airline always ran in the -300 and -400.

However, ECON mode for them is just about a moot point, since they STILL have the highest cost per seat mile on the planet!

As far as SWA and fuel savings is concerned, their efforts that I've read here seem to be right on track. I think APU use, or lack of it, and reduced taxi times, followed by minimal delays in flight are the three biggest ways in which they can save fuel. Noting the fact that they stay away from airports like LGA, EWR, ORD, and Philly will save them thousands (x10?, x100?) of gallons of fuel each year alone.

One advantage of the use of auto-throttles is the alpha protection at low airspeed. Another is the go-around feature. It makes a go-around a snap.

The often well overlooked disadvantage to using them is they can make you a very complacent pilot who can get a little too dependent on them. But they can save your butt too if you have a tendency to be somewhat of a speed demon.

Using them or not is something open for debate, but if you look at it this way, Pilots are paid to fly airplanes. The best ones do it the old fashioned way, keeping their head in the loop!;)

Right on the money

Coopdog is correct in the last post. When I was a UAL "Gucci Pilot" , we were told that our fuel efficiency was better when we used auto throttles properly... that is, ECON cruise, VNAV descent profiles, reduced thrust TO settings, etc. I remember speaking to a SWA buddy of mine at the time, and he asked me about the whole auto throttle issue. He said that SWA told him that their fuel efficiency was better without autothrottles. I guess it's like politics and religion. Everyone has "facts"... you choose whose "facts" you should believe, and you fly the airplane in whatever manner the company (that organization which issues you a paycheck twice a month) tells you to fly it.

On a side note, when I flew the 727 at another carrier we had auto throttles in the form of a big, ugly, hairy hand that would appear from behind the control stand (yes... Boeing calls it a control stand, NOT a center console... my car has a "center console") and move the throttles. I much prefer that form of auto throttle because I could have a few beers and share jokes with those B727 "auto throttles" on a layover! :D

Regards,
RightBettor

Fuel saving tips...

Here's some more tips that you guys will hear about when you get to DAL for training...

Use flaps 30 vs. 40 for approach when able...
Use the boards when you need to, but fly like you don't have them...
Put accurate forecast winds in the FMC...
Don't start the APU 20 miles from the airport...
An idle descent at 280 when the box says to start down is much better than an idle descent at 320 at the last minute...
Carrying around a bunch of unneccesary Jet-A is expensive...
Use the "step-climb" feature in the FMC when feasible...
Try to take big delays at the gate, if unable, think about using SE Taxi procedures...
All common sense stuff that most pilots know, it's just more important right now...
Like Chase said, most of all, fly the speeds in the box. On-time performance hasn't gotten that bad, everyone else just got better by cutting tons of flights and increasing their ground time.

See ya soon...

Latest resources

Back