Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
scoreboard said:
Originally Posted by scoreboard
PIT and other locations do fit our model. Go back and read up on it.
I still need to read that book on SWA. Let's see, an airport would need the following criterea to qualify:
  1. Large O&D base to existing SWA markets
  2. Two to Three proprietary gates
  3. Fast turn-around capability*must be in top 10 for on-time
  4. Low passenger fees
Lets see:
  • LAS - 1,2
  • PHX - 1,2
  • PHL - 1,2
  • DET - 1,2,3
  • STL - 1,2,3
  • PDX - 1,2
  • SEA - 1,2
  • PIT - 1,2
  • MSY - 1,2,3
  • MCO - 1,2
  • TPA - 1,2
  • FLL - 1,2,4
  • MDW - 1,2,3
  • LAX - 1,2,3
  • BWI - 1,2,3
  • OAK - 1,2,4
Now I'm sure some of these may be off a tad, but pretty close. The point is many of these airports fall out of model in some respect. So the "model" is a myth for the focus cities, as SWA needs to serve many of these cities to have any kind of a viable network.

Incidently, DFW was ranked #1 in on-time performance for major airports in 2004 and #7 so far in 2005. SWA complains they don't like going against AMR at a fortress hub. What about NWA at DET, UAIR at PHL? They operate in mini hubs like STL, LAX, PIT, OAK, FLL, MCO, PHX, and LAS.

Last edited:
lowecur said:
...So the "model" is a myth for the focus cities, as SWA needs to serve many of these cities to have any kind of a viable network...

.... SWA complains they don't like going against AMR at a fortress hub. What about NWA at DET, UAIR at PHL? They operate in mini hubs like STL, LAX, PIT, OAK, FLL, MCO, PHX, and LAS.

Faulty logic here.

The model is not a myth. SWA is forced to use hub and spoke friendly airports in some markets. These airports are expensive and not as easy to use as smaller airports. SWA is forced to use these airports because suitable alternative often don't exist. If alternatives existed, SWA would be using them. The model works best in markets where a smaller airport is available. Surely you understand that.

I think you lack an entrepreneurial mindset or are just being contrary for the fun of it. You not only want to prevent free enterprise in the airline market, you claim it is never going to work. Well, Chicken Little, it is working. If you were running SWA you would be searching for the airports and opportunities the SWA business model is made for. Just as AA, DAL, and UAL are looking for ways to make their model work

I'm thinking you just want to keep the status quo to improve JetBlue's chances for success. Just as JetBlue has changed the rules for the industry with bargain basement costs, DirecTV and Blueness, SWA will work to keep the landscape oriented towards their product. And they will continue to do so in a very ethical and consumer friendly way.

Thanks for playing, try again.

Last edited:
Lowecur,

You asked previously is SWA is looking at an alternate for STL, and the answer there is yes. SWA tried detroit metro and was promised runway improvements that never materialized so back to DTW. PHL has an alternate, well several alternates, but SWA determined for whatever reasion that PHL was worth the trade off. SWA is currently looking at going to MIA because the delays at FLL are off the chart.
The difference between SWA and all other airlines is that it is not dependent on a fortress hub or airport to make their business work. SWA could and does go anywhere they want, and where they can get the best deal for their customers. SWA will not be held hostage by airports who impose unreasonable fees for thier service. The business model works, and their decisions and ability to move and make money are a very big part of the success of SWA.

It was reported in a Seattle paper today that a second carrier has approached Boeing Field about flying there. I know ALK approached them quite a few years back, but I have a feeling it could be ol JetBlue. It that's the case, then they are just as wrong as SWA. The problem with Boeing Field is the available land for Terminal Space. It is unlikely that the airport could support more than a few carriers, and this would place carriers at SEA at an extreme pricing disadvantage.

SWA at Miami???? Why not? Jetblue is thinking about going. I have no problem with either of them doing that as both FLL and MIA are very financially viable airports.

I guess if we are going to ever revitalize the aviation transportation infrastructure, SWA's competitors will be expected to foot a larger proportion of the bill. We wouldn't even have an infrastructure as extensive as it is now if airlines in the past had pulled this kind of stuff. Thanks to today's low ticket prices, the Aviation Trust fund is now used not to help fund expansion of the aviation infrastructure, but simply to help run the FAA.

I am amazed and disappoined by how many do not understnd the basics of capitalism...or maybe just do not believe in it.

Lowcur, did you ever realize that winning an argument on the internet is like winning a race in the Special Olympics? You may think you've won, but, you are still retarded! Sorry, I'm not too PC Cheers

Stash said:
Lowcur, did you ever realize that winning an argument on the internet is like winning a race in the Special Olympics? You may think you've won, but, you are still retarded! Sorry, I'm not too PC Cheers
You sure your name isn't stosh and you are the captain of your bowling team in Green Bay.

Mugs said:
I guess if we are going to ever revitalize the aviation transportation infrastructure, SWA's competitors will be expected to foot a larger proportion of the bill. We wouldn't even have an infrastructure as extensive as it is now if airlines in the past had pulled this kind of stuff. Thanks to today's low ticket prices, the Aviation Trust fund is now used not to help fund expansion of the aviation infrastructure, but simply to help run the FAA.

Okay Mugs,

I guess it would make more sense to file chapter 11, stay in for 3 years, attack labor, and dump pensions. Instead of trying to go out find revenue in this blood from a turnup environment.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back