SWA...the sedition

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lowecur said:
the phony guise of saving their passengers $5. to $10. per operation.

Nothing phony about saving people money, although your figure is clearly bogus and made up. Furthermore, you refuse to address our main point:
Originally Posted by enigma
Why shouldn't SWA, or any othe airline for that matter, attempt to utilize the lowest price runway/terminal supplier?

ivauir said:
Nothing phony about saving people money, although your figure is clearly bogus and made up. Furthermore, you refuse to address our main point:
Originally Posted by enigma
Why shouldn't SWA, or any othe airline for that matter, attempt to utilize the lowest price runway/terminal supplier?
What's bogus about it? SeaTac passenger fees were $5 a decade ago, and are projected to go to $15. STL are $6. and projected to go $11. in 2007 that includes a $40M subsidy from the city. If SWA leaves SEA, I will bet that those fees go as high as $25. If they leave STL and go to Mid America, watch the fees go to $20. You think other airlines won't follow their lead and abandon those airports also?

Why shouldn't SWA, or any othe airline for that matter, attempt to utilize the lowest price runway/terminal supplier? I think I just answered that question above.

AA pulled out of STL. Delta pulled out of DFW. I'm willing to bet each of these carriers signed off on expensive projects as they were considering their departure. They knew thier competitors would be stuck with the bill.

That is not my point. I think projects are unfairly spread out on all users. The system needs to be changed.

Is anyone tired of wasteful government spending? TSA spending. Flying around the clock for a month to close out a military unit's flying hours. What a waste of jet fuel and resources. All because the system requires them to. Fraud waste and abuse is rampant in the government. The only way to reign in the spending is to force them to change how things are done. A problem is not a problem until there is a 'crisis'. Then the bureacratic whining and predictions of doom follow. There is no crisis. Bondholders will be taken care of, they always are. AA is firmly on the road to a full recovery. DFW's changes will not kill them.

lowecur said:
What's bogus about it? SeaTac passenger fees were $5 a decade ago, and are projected to go to $15. STL are $6. and projected to go $11. in 2007 that includes a $40M subsidy from the city. If SWA leaves SEA, I will bet that those fees go as high as $25. If they leave STL and go to Mid America, watch the fees go to $20. You think other airlines won't follow their lead and abandon those airports also?

Why shouldn't SWA, or any othe airline for that matter, attempt to utilize the lowest price runway/terminal supplier? I think I just answered that question above.

Kit, is that you????

Isn't SWA about no delays and hardly no taxi time. Mid America........................ and Boeing Field would be perfect.

FlyBoeingJets said:
AA pulled out of STL. Delta pulled out of DFW. I'm willing to bet each of these carriers signed off on expensive projects as they were considering their departure. They knew thier competitors would be stuck with the bill.

That is not my point. I think projects are unfairly spread out on all users. The system needs to be changed.

Is anyone tired of wasteful government spending? TSA spending. Flying around the clock for a month to close out a military unit's flying hours. What a waste of jet fuel and resources. All because the system requires them to. Fraud waste and abuse is rampant in the government. The only way to reign in the spending is to force them to change how things are done. A problem is not a problem until there is a 'crisis'. Then the bureacratic whining and predictions of doom follow. There is no crisis. Bondholders will be taken care of, they always are. AA is firmly on the road to a full recovery. DFW's changes will not kill them.

AA downsized mainline flights in STL after the TWA integration but did not pull out as Delta did in DFW. Many former mainline routes were transferred to AA connection under the AA code and still operate.

I'm not sure how you're getting the impression that AA is on the road to full recovery. We are still losing money (and will continue to lose money at present fuel costs) and have 3000 pilots furloughed.

Lowecur,

Trying to attach "bond guilt" to all the other burdens SWA has to carry is more than I'll care to concede to....airport managers & government officials need to be held accountable to standards of basic business practices....outprice your product & folks will move elsewhere....just as you do or I do on a daily basis....bond investors (if they are burned) should also realize this fact...betting on a "sure thing" because the lemmings will follow & pay whatever is asked needs to be changed.

SWA has no duty to bondholders but to its shareholders, employees & customers to keep costs low & profits high. The market place (i.e. airports, vendors, etc.) shouldn't be propped up or protected from basic economic factors as SWA or any airline be hampered by governmental regulation in being kept from operating in a sound financial manner. SEA-TAC made an operational & business decision sometime ago, just as DFW did after 911....all airlines had to also...does SWA require another runway at STL now that AA is gone? Certainly not but we're all going to pay for it....there are other options & whether you call it the Southwest effect or not, I call it basic business principles....we have it within our power to save money, why not do it for the consumer & raise profits? The most healthy airline in the industry & one that has
(1) NOT LAID OFF A SINGLE PERSON SINCE 911

(2) HIRED 1200+ PILOTS SINCE 911

(3) HIRED 5000+ NEW AIRLINE EMPLOYEES SINCE 911
(4) Opened 3 new cities, provided billions of dollars in savings to flyers around the country who would not normally be able to fly

I think SWA has done its fair share at adding to the economy & giving folks the freedom to fly (above is not yelling, just an emphasis item to give a perspective to the "whoa is me, SWA is bad" mentality that some folks (not you of course Lowecur:) ) seem to have....it is nice to work for a company that continues to do this during the roughest patch of economic times for the airline industry....plus SWA expects to add at least 1000 more pilots over the next 2 years...again I don't believe SWA has much to apologize for take grief from folks when it comes to making smart business decisions....maybe if other government entities or businesses followed some of the basic principles that SWA uses we wouldn't even be having these discussions.

just some additional thoughts...cheers,

No you didn't Barney...

lowecur said:

Not even close to an answer, so why should SWA care if the fees go up after we leave, thats why we are leaving?? You make no logical argument. Your point is based on emotion, not sound business practice. If you raised your insurance premiums for a policy I had with you, why should i not shop around? Please answer that.

Hey Lower,

What about Tarrant County and the City of Fort Worth violating the DFW bonds when they built AFW and let FedEx open up shop there?

scoreboard said:
Not even close to an answer, so why should SWA care if the fees go up after we leave, thats why we are leaving?? You make no logical argument. Your point is based on emotion, not sound business practice. If you raised your insurance premiums for a policy I had with you, why should i not shop around? Please answer that.....
People shopping insurance policies hardly has anything to do with what is best for the overall financial health of a community.

It's really quite a simple question in this discussion. Does the cost savings in airline tickets outweigh the cost of upheaval of the current commerical airport infrastructure and it's financial affect on the dominant carrier(s) for that airport? That's the debate right now in DFW, and will soon be the debate in SEA. Each metroplex must answer these questions and cast their vote with the government factions that will make the final decisions.

SWA airlines says that DFW is too expensive and they cannot get the turn-around times necessary to make their business model work. Yet, they are presently operating at many airports that present these same problems to them. SEA has many of the same problems except you're now talking about building a whole new access road infrastructure, terminal, and dealing with noise pollution that will bring out the environmentalists. Both moves by SWA will serve to divide the respective communities along devisive lines.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back