Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
chase said:
Lowecur,

Trying to attach "bond guilt" to all the other burdens SWA has to carry is more than I'll care to concede to....airport managers & government officials need to be held accountable to standards of basic business practices....outprice your product & folks will move elsewhere....just as you do or I do on a daily basis....bond investors (if they are burned) should also realize this fact...betting on a "sure thing" because the lemmings will follow & pay whatever is asked needs to be changed.

SWA has no duty to bondholders but to its shareholders, employees & customers to keep costs low & profits high. The market place (i.e. airports, vendors, etc.) shouldn't be propped up or protected from basic economic factors as SWA or any airline be hampered by governmental regulation in being kept from operating in a sound financial manner. SEA-TAC made an operational & business decision sometime ago, just as DFW did after 911....all airlines had to also...does SWA require another runway at STL now that AA is gone? Certainly not but we're all going to pay for it....there are other options & whether you call it the Southwest effect or not, I call it basic business principles....we have it within our power to save money, why not do it for the consumer & raise profits? The most healthy airline in the industry & one that has
(1) NOT LAID OFF A SINGLE PERSON SINCE 911

(2) HIRED 1200+ PILOTS SINCE 911

(3) HIRED 5000+ NEW AIRLINE EMPLOYEES SINCE 911
(4) Opened 3 new cities, provided billions of dollars in savings to flyers around the country who would not normally be able to fly

I think SWA has done its fair share at adding to the economy & giving folks the freedom to fly (above is not yelling, just an emphasis item to give a perspective to the "whoa is me, SWA is bad" mentality that some folks (not you of course Lowecur:) ) seem to have....it is nice to work for a company that continues to do this during the roughest patch of economic times for the airline industry....plus SWA expects to add at least 1000 more pilots over the next 2 years...again I don't believe SWA has much to apologize for take grief from folks when it comes to making smart business decisions....maybe if other government entities or businesses followed some of the basic principles that SWA uses we wouldn't even be having these discussions.

just some additional thoughts...cheers,

Oh hail, the mighty Southwest. Giver of life, jobs, and the pursuit of happiness. Hail the mighty Herb & Colleen. Oh Herb, who art at WN, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, at Love Field as it is at DFW.

Buckaroo,

My apologies for the caps....I rarely go over the top but probably did this time but the facts of what SWA has done for many folks is forgotten in all the spin sometimes.....just as the horrors of layoffs & major economic upheaval due to the current economic crisis should never be forgotten, nor should the merits of what a company is doing to help folks either. A bit of balance is all that I was trying to say....again apologies for the caps...Southwest is certainly not all-knowing & without flaw & for me to imply that they were/are is incorrect, again my apologies.

Chase,

No problem- We have every reason to be proud to work at such a fine company.
I have a lot of friends in the business on the legacy side (as many of us have), and they are kind of tired of having their noses rubbed in it every time they open up the newspaper.

You have a great reputation on this board - it would take a lot more than a few caps to ruin it.

Buckaroo

chase said:
Lowecur,

Trying to attach "bond guilt" to all the other burdens SWA has to carry... what burdens are those?:D...is more than I'll care to concede to....airport managers & government officials need to be held accountable to standards of basic business practices....outprice your product & folks will move elsewhere....just as you do or I do on a daily basis....bond investors (if they are burned) should also realize this fact...betting on a "sure thing" because the lemmings will follow & pay whatever is asked needs to be changed.

SWA has no duty to bondholders but to its shareholders, employees & customers to keep costs low & profits high. Yes, but you have a moral duty to the community you are in not to divide and conqueor through devisive lobbying tactics that are self serving. The market place (i.e. airports, vendors, etc.) shouldn't be propped up or protected from basic economic factors as SWA or any airline be hampered by governmental regulation in being kept from operating in a sound financial manner. SEA-TAC made an operational & business decision sometime ago, just as DFW did after 911....all airlines had to also...does SWA require another runway at STL now that AA is gone? Certainly not but we're all going to pay for it....this I gotta see....there are other options....Yes, and Mid America Airport will probably be next.... & whether you call it the Southwest effect or not, I call it basic business principles....we have it within our power to save money, why not do it for the consumer & raise profits? Where will this leave Lambert Field and the city of St. Louis if SWA moves out?

It happens all the time in Pro Sports

Where will this leave Lambert Field and the city of St. Louis if SWA moves out?

Where did it leave the city of Pontiac when the Detroit Lions moved out? These people have to remember, the airports are there to serve the airlines, not the other way around. We left SFO and DEN and they survived, if it doesn't fit you must acquit, I mean leave.

Here is why I think current airport expansion fee plans are so scary--

We all know that air travel is spurred on by lower airfares. But higher airport fees will actually raise the cost of a ticket (really!) and, hence, reduce travel. If travel goes down then airport fees are spread among fewer passengers and the fees go even higher. Where this spiral stops is anyone's guess.

I call this the "Bloated airport project" effect. DFW, SEATAC, and STL communities have benefited from this phenomenon. Is your community next?

Last edited:
canyonblue said:
Where did it leave the city of Pontiac when the Detroit Lions moved out? These people have to remember, the airports are there to serve the airlines, not the other way around. We left SFO and DEN and they survived, if it doesn't fit you must acquit, I mean leave.
You're kidding me right? Drawing an analogy between entertainment and the necessity of transportation.

You were never a dominant carrier in SFO or DEN.

Business is a moral beacon??

lowecur said:
People shopping insurance policies hardly has anything to do with what is best for the overall financial health of a community.

It's really quite a simple question in this discussion. Does the cost savings in airline tickets outweigh the cost of upheaval of the current commerical airport infrastructure and it's financial affect on the dominant carrier(s) for that airport? That's the debate right now in DFW, and will soon be the debate in SEA. Each metroplex must answer these questions and cast their vote with the government factions that will make the final decisions.

SWA airlines says that DFW is too expensive and they cannot get the turn-around times necessary to make their business model work. Yet, they are presently operating at many airports that present these same problems to them. SEA has many of the same problems except you're now talking about building a whole new access road infrastructure, terminal, and dealing with noise pollution that will bring out the environmentalists. Both moves by SWA will serve to divide the respective communities along devisive lines.

You lost me ace, your saying SWA has a duty to ensure the financial health of a community? Whats your thoughts on DAL pulling out of DFW? You are way off base.

Yes, we go to PIT and other high cost airports, these places have no alternate airports, STL and SEA have viable, legal, moral, etc, alternative airfields for SWA use. Why is that wrong again? Oh, wait, we have a responsibility to the community. Exactly, to the community to provide low fares without the mumbo jumbo of self serving agrandizing local governmental agencies.

scoreboard said:
You lost me ace,...I know.... your saying SWA has a duty to ensure the financial health of a community?....Yes.... Whats your thoughts on DAL pulling out of DFW?....DAL is in significant financial difficulty there, ace. Their short term survival depended on it, yours doesn't... You are way off base....OK

Yes, we go to PIT and other high cost airports, these places have no alternate airports...so why go there if they don't fit your model? Afterall, SWA can't make money if the airport doesn't fit it's business model right?;) ..., STL and SEA have viable, legal, moral, etc, alternative airfields for SWA use. Why is that wrong again? Oh, wait, we have a responsibility to the community...Stop talking to yourself.... Exactly, to the community to provide low fares without the mumbo jumbo of self serving agrandizing local governmental agencies.

Idiot

lowecur said:

Originally Posted by scoreboard
You lost me ace,...I know.... your saying SWA has a duty to ensure the financial health of a community?....Yes.... Whats your thoughts on DAL pulling out of DFW?....DAL is in significant financial difficulty there, ace. Their short term survival depended on it, yours doesn't... You are way off base....OK

Yes, we go to PIT and other high cost airports, these places have no alternate airports...so why go there if they don't fit your model? Afterall, SWA can't make money if the airport doesn't fit it's business model right?;) ..., STL and SEA have viable, legal, moral, etc, alternative airfields for SWA use. Why is that wrong again? Oh, wait, we have a responsibility to the community...Stop talking to yourself.... Exactly, to the community to provide low fares without the mumbo jumbo of self serving agrandizing local governmental agencies.

Lowcur my bud, Now your unreasonable. So your saying we should only do what is best for our company when we get into significant financial trouble and our short term survival depends on it? How about we do it before we go bankrupt? Novel concept, I know.

PIT and other locations do fit our model. Go back and read up on it.

Let me guess, by the tone of your answers on this thread, your a liberal. Flame away...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back