• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA tactics on the ramp and taxiways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"And to all of those wondering why AA taxiis the slowest.......

We have the longest, most retarded work-intensive taxi/before T/O checklist to which the captain must answer every item - including a mechanical checklist that is located low down on the pedestal, so at least one of us is heads down reading the darn thing. Now add the required briefing that the captain must make regarding takeoff data -

and here's the best one....drumroll..... the captain has to make the T/O PA to the flight attendants, while he's taxiing!!!

So now you know.... and now you also know why we probably have the most runway incursions of any carrier. Just give us a little extra vigilance when you see us coming your way, lol. (I do my best in keeping heads up, I don't start the checklist until we are on a big taxiway.)"

O.k., I take back all those things I muttered under my breath while strolling along behind you in DFW.

I don't think SWA is intentionally rude, but I think their fast taxi is akin to somebody doing 80 in a 55 where everybody else is obeying the limit. It's distracting and annoying because you guys aren't rolling with the flow. I'm slightly distracted from what I'm doing because I'm concerned about what you are doing. For example, it sometimes looks as if you aren't going to be able to stop even though I know you should be stopping. I react and slow down, just in case, and the guy behinds me has to react, etc, etc.

Last edited:
I think you're mistaken on this one, Ty. I've not seen a trend of what you're talking about from SWA.

I've noticed individual acts of buffoonery on the rare occasion from various individual crews, but I honestly have no recollection of ever seeing what you're talking about from a SWA jet.

The SWA dudes (and dudettes) I know are very safety conscious and courteous.

Caveman said:
...but I think their fast taxi is akin to somebody doing 80 in a 55 where everybody else is obeying the limit. It's distracting and annoying because you guys aren't rolling with the flow. I'm slightly distracted from what I'm doing because I'm concerned about what you are doing. For example, it sometimes looks as if you aren't going to be able to stop even though I know you should be stopping. I react and slow down, just in case, and the guy behinds me has to react, etc, etc.

Best safety record in the industry.

TexaSWA said:
Best safety record in the industry.

That is true, but my point, which started in another thread, is:

1) that as SWA grows and morphs, these little "tricks" that were OK when you were a smaller carrier are starting to become obvious as you expand.

and

2) There isn't room for everyone to employ some of the same tactics that I see SWA doing- for example, not calling ramp until almost off the ramp, or "taking" the right of way and then contacting ground . . . it only works when everyone else is providing the slack to let it happen . . . . . and there is less and less slack in the system every day.

Is it true that SWA has a waiver on the 10kts tailwind limitation for takeoff in the B737?
We (AA) have 2 airports where we can land with up to 15 kts of tailwind,
but I am not aware of any for takeoff.

viking737 said:
Is it true that SWA has a waiver on the 10kts tailwind limitation for takeoff in the B737?
We (AA) have 2 airports where we can land with up to 15 kts of tailwind,
but I am not aware of any for takeoff.

Don't expect any cult members to divulge cult secrets!

We did on the -200, but all of the others are a max of 10 knots. I non revved out of the country on AA last week,my wife and I were treated like a king and queen. Wish we could do the same but all we have are peanuts and free adult beverages if you are on your way home. I did notice that pa before t/o and also I assume the fo pa taxiing into the gate area and thought what a bad time to talk to the folks. Hopefully that does change soon for you guys, and again many thanks to the class act employees that made our trip even more enjoyable.

Latest resources

Back