SWA tactics on the ramp and taxiways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
saabcaptain said:
I would say that part of the reason ATC favored them was that they always went out of their way to make sure they never caused ATC a problem and always expedited anything ATC needed. Maybe it was the SWA mugs or pizza given to the tower, who knows.

Truthfully,

If I've got a jet on 2 1/2 mile final at typical speed, a SWA flight is probably the only brand I'll roll in front of the arrival. For no other reason than I'm reasonably sure they'll do their best. A few other operators seem to not really care if even their own company's flight has to go around. (not naming names) If I ask 'em to hustle, they'll do it, and I won't get any long-winded, condencending replies. And if I see brand XX taxiing at 10 mph, why wouldn't I put a SWA on the taxiway in front if I could without causing too much trouble?

But as far as favors, outside of one jumpseat home from Vegas many, many years ago, SWA has never done anything for me other than just cooperate as much as possible. Oh sure, maybe a decade or more back, some controllers were probably flashing and dashing a bit, and reciprocating. That hasn't been possible for a long time now.

As far as favors go, Lufthansa beats all you domestic lines hands down. I used to find a case of German beer in my pickup every Xmas....:D

our "new" procedures slow us down a bit, but ATC stills knows it can count on us to expedite as much as safely possible if they ask us to

That was originally posted by a SWA guy on a previous thread and I copied it because it caught my attention. Twice on my last trip, I was cleared for a visual after spotting a SWA jet 5 miles ahead (once in PHL and once in MCO). On both approaches, I found SWA slowing down noticebly earlier than in the past. Keep in mind I tangoed in STL for 7 years with SWA while also commuting on them, so I have an idea of where and when they slowed down.

I was just wondering what changed.

NOTE: I don't think it was a tactic to slow down the guy behind them or some other cospiracy. My guess is that SWA went rom 500' AFL stabilized to 1000' AFL stabilized. Heck, it could have been because the were following Ty :)

Last edited:
75M said:
I was just wondering what changed.
My guess is that SWA went rom 500' AFL stabilized to 1000' AFL stabilized.

Bingo!...stabilized approach procedures changed back in April 04

Ty you guys lost the gates in MDW.... time to move on. :)

We don't taxi like any of the carriers that "wait for their numbers", we are always ready to go. Unsafe? no way.

If you guys want to drag out your taxi for another .1 so be it, we got work to do at SWA and planes don't make money on the ground. Got to get to the hotel for the 1-2-3!!!

SWA/FO said:
Ty you guys lost the gates in MDW.... time to move on. :)

We don't taxi like any of the carriers that "wait for their numbers", we are always ready to go. Unsafe? no way.

If you guys want to drag out your taxi for another .1 so be it, we got work to do at SWA and planes don't make money on the ground. Got to get to the hotel for the 1-2-3!!!

And to all of those wondering why AA taxiis the slowest.......

We have the longest, most retarded work-intensive taxi/before T/O checklist to which the captain must answer every item - including a mechanical checklist that is located low down on the pedestal, so at least one of us is heads down reading the darn thing. Now add the required briefing that the captain must make regarding takeoff data -

and here's the best one....drumroll..... the captain has to make the T/O PA to the flight attendants, while he's taxiing!!!

So now you know.... and now you also know why we probably have the most runway incursions of any carrier. Just give us a little extra vigilance when you see us coming your way, lol. (I do my best in keeping heads up, I don't start the checklist until we are on a big taxiway.)

Supposed to change soon is the latest word.

I personly love the games everyone plays on ramp frequency. It's one of the things that make this job fun. Boys will be boys. Go work in a bank if you don't like it.

Huck said:
ASA had a DFW-based captain about 10 years ago that got cut off by an AA MD-80 and responded by gunning it and playing chicken. In fact I think the FO had to hit the brakes and yank the throttles. He got some time off to think about it.

BTW I wish we were all as unsafe as SWA - think how many planes and people would have been saved over the years....

Pickin Pete the Booger Man, no doubt about it

Latest resources

Back