• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA tactics on the ramp and taxiways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All these airlines losing millions and their biggest concern is how Southwest taxi's. Pathetic. You want to taxi fast, taxi fast. You want to taxi slow, taxi slow. The tower runs the airport, not the pilots. Keep to a subject you have half a grasp on. And just for information, if you have to slam the brakes on and you're tossing F/A's around the cabin, guess what? You taxi too fast. Slooooooow Dooooooown.

As a US Airways (Piedmont) guy for 19 years, I can honestly say that I have never noticed anything blatent. Maybe somewhat aggressive during taxi, but that's their style. I have found them to be professional and courteous. The fact that they have consistently kicked our butts is discouraging, but they have been professional in doing so.

if you have to slam the brakes on and you're tossing F/A's around the cabin, guess what? You taxi too fast. Slooooooow Dooooooown

Well said Canyon Blue!

One can be smooth and fast............it worked on my wife.

Don't even touch that one fella's :)

Hey Ty........
That Scientology stuff (not that I actually buy into it mind you) worked for Tom Cruise aka "mavrick" in Top Gun look how well he's down w/o even graduating from high school!
Only in America.....

usav8r said:
Guys,

I think things are blown out of proportion and are isolated incidents. The 10% rule applies. There are the 10% of pilots at EVERY airline that are jerks, or blatently bend the rules. Unfortunately, we all get stereotyped. FWIW.

Lately it seems like AirTran and Comair have sent their 10% directly to this website for self-esteem maintainence.
Ty, no amount of money or job security could get me in the right seat with a prick like you.

TWA Dude said:
I have no interest in bad-mouthing anybody but the prevalent fast-taxiing of SW planes is no myth. Five years of seeing confirms it. In fact, when I've commuted on y'all I liked it. The only cut-off maneuvers I've ever witnessed were committed by legacy carriers.

Every flight I ever took on SWA as well as years watching them confirms this too, SWA is faster than anyone else I see on a regular basis *by far.* IMHO *never* unsafe and never to cut anyone off or disregard ATC, just making things move because they can... and I like it.

MAX ZORIN said:
Lately it seems like AirTran and Comair have sent their 10% directly to this website for self-esteem maintainence.
Ty, no amount of money or job security could get me in the right seat with a prick like you.

so much for the professionalism................

Jeeze Ty baby. What is your beef with SWA?? What did they do to you? The only thing I can figure is they must have turned you down at some time. I am not part of the "cult" as you say and all I read and is that they have a great company that they are proud of. Yes I am envious of them but I don't let it consume me. They have more than I but I also have more than others. As well as you do.

Lighten up. If you haven't noticed you are losing a whole lot of respect from many on this board. I find that to be a very sad thing indeed for you seem not to care. Good luck to you man.

Let's cut Ty Webb some slack here. He still has his diapers on in the left seat and he's probably a little intimidated by the speed at which the professionals operate their aircraft. Being a corporate puke from Alabama, he's probably never taxied an aircraft at a major metropolitan airport before. I ask all SWA pilots to please refrain from using excessive speed whenever an Airtran 737 is nearby in hopes that Ty can soon gain confidence in his tiller skills. Thankyou.

I've had enough of this. Let's turn this whole thread around...

I was holding short of 31L at JFK recently, an AA A300 was in position, but had a problem and was going to be delayed a minute or two. Tower told us there would be a delay while AA sorted out whatever their issue was.

Well, the AA crew offered to taxi to the first turn-off so we could depart, and then re-enter the line (which was only a couple of airplanes long). I thought it to be very cool of the AA crew to make the offer. Thanks AA for your professional courtesy.

Now, can't we all just get along?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back