SWA tactics on the ramp and taxiways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ivauir said:
Contact professional standards with the details (dates and tailnumbers or callsigns). My guess is that there is an honest explanation, but if not there are 4 pilots with some 'splanin to do. PM me for contact info. Same offer to you Ty.

BTW got cut off by AA, US Air and Delta in Vegas last night ... ground was suffering from rectal hypoxia, but good SA by the crews kept all of the tin separated and we still under flew our block time:cool:

If one has an issue with an air traffic control situation with another carrier there is a program in effect that one can file a complaint. We have forms in our lounge that one would use and although I haven't looked I think they are online with the FAA.

Respectfully,

SWAdude :cool:

Last edited:
Krusty said:
I have one also,

in MHT, the taxi way goes to the end ofcourse and has a 90 deg turn, well there is a 45 deg taxiway adjacent to it going directly to the runway end.

well we taxied out first, 5 min. and got to the end at the 90, and called in ready to go, at that moment out of the blue, there was SWA at v1 approaching us and called the tower that they were ready to go, they already had turned for the 45 deg taxiway. the tower replied to SWA, taxi into position and hold. I responded that we were ready in sequence before SW approached the end. A SW pilot laughed on the radio, no voice , just a laugh.

then tower cleared them to take off. we eventually were cleared to go, before we called to taxi out, I asked is this standard practice here for SW, and was there a need for SW to go first, ie wheels up time, flow control, etc.?

there was no responce from tower except have a good day, airbourne i asked for the tower managers name, of course i was pissed now. he said he wasn't on duty, have a good day....

what kind of sh/t is that?

I'm with you. I've seen the same thing from SWA in OAK.

learflyer said:
I'm with you. I've seen the same thing from SWA in OAK.

If you have an issue with another carrier, file a complaint to the FAA. I had an incident within the last six months with another carrier and talked to the chief pilot about it and he said they had a meeting with the FAA about the number of increased incidents that SWA has experienced about unprofessional behavior on the ground from other carriers since this recent downturn in the industry. The FAA said they were aware of this and encouraged us to file complaints. So I did. And so did the guy I was flying with. Haven't heard anything back nor do I expect to.

If we have some guys that are doing what you accuse them of, it needs to be brought to their attention. Remember though, the FAA sees the whole system as it is, and if its just sour grapes, it will reflect on your airline equally as bad.

Respectfully,

SWAdude :cool:

SWAdude,

You might be a little off the mark by saying to file a complaint with the FAA. As a former employee of that "fine" organization, a Hotline complaint comes down and it's priority. Everything stops until the complaint is investigated, LOIs sent out and everybody's day is ruined. It's a powerful tool that tends to make everybody's life miserable and should be used as a last resort. A call between respective carriers professional standards groups yeilds greater results and better harmony than to involve the FED. If that doesn't work, by all means call the Hotline.

Try this...

Hey Krusty, Learflyer, Ty,

Try a big waaaaaaaaaaa! Maybe that will help a little bit. What a bunch of cry babies! Sheesh.

JB Bus Drvr said:
SWAdude,

You might be a little off the mark by saying to file a complaint with the FAA. As a former employee of that "fine" organization, a Hotline complaint comes down and it's priority. Everything stops until the complaint is investigated, LOIs sent out and everybody's day is ruined. It's a powerful tool that tends to make everybody's life miserable and should be used as a last resort. A call between respective carriers professional standards groups yeilds greater results and better harmony than to involve the FED. If that doesn't work, by all means call the Hotline.

I'm not suggesting to call the hotline. There is an air traffic complaint form we have and its not formal but more informative. I don't intend on being vague, I just don't have it with me. I don't go to work for the next couple of weeks but I will get the form and give better information about the program.

Maybe going to your own professional standards is a way to go. I didn't know and think that maybe there is communication between the airlines in this fashion. I have not heard that with ours but will check into this.

After reading my prior posts I did say to file a complaint. Very bad wording and not what I intended. Thanks for bringing that to my attention JB Bus Drvr.

Last edited:
SWA rules.

Just get out of our way :)

Now, Ty please delete this thread. You have the power.

Lets talk about something else? Like SWA having 4500 flights a day, 5 years from now.

Great Ideas

For all you guys who call the FAA and professional standards departments everytime you get irritated....well, I say again; waaaaaaaaaaa! Or perhaps you can use the story at your next interview. Let's see. There was this time I didn't get to launch in the sequence I thought was fair so I called the FAA and filed a complaint. Then I called the other airline's professional standards department. One thing's for sure, I always want to taxi and takeoff when I think it's right. Any more questions for me? Oh, yea, I'm a little bit of a cry baby....

Just to throw my two cents in.

I have operated shoulder to shoulder with SWA crews in the busiest square mile in aviation, MDW, as well as many other airports for years. Years ago when SWA was a much smaller scrappier company SWA pilots seemed to taxi and fly their airplanes faster than most other airlines. They were never rude to me or others that I witnessed, we just laughed and commented "them boys aren't paid by the hour".

SWA pilots always seemed to be at the top of their game and now we all see that they were operating their equipment efficiently as well. These days, I see more flight crews operating more like SWA crews and less like the legacy airlines of the past.

ATC might cut them some slack because they know that SWA crews will get on their way and do what they say they will do. MDW tower clears you to take-off when another airplane is on short final, they expect you to roll NOW. Tower controllers have told me that SWA and ATA crews know the score and might get that clearance before brand X only because they know that these crews will roll quickly, not because they are just giving them preference.

Let's be honest. I remember days when I worked for one of the large extinct legacy airlines and we might have drag our feet a little because of pay, work slow downs or contract flight duty issues.

That culture is failed culture.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back