• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA speed control in ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with PCL. WOW. But he's correct, nobody else has this problem. Well, nobody but SWA and American. BTW. They are going to start treating us like American and the International carriers at ATL. That's straight out of s controllers mouth. They can't count on us to get it right after 2 years of service in ATL.

They only expect compliance with their non-standard phraseology with carriers that they consider familiar with the ATL slang. ATL is a pretty small nugget in the SWA route structure. Anywhere else on the planet an "expect short approach" clearance would be interpreted as a likely turn inside the FAF. This problem is in ATL approach's lap. They only have to use proper terminology to make it go away. Publishing a secret codebook for ATL ATC is is a poor solution when all they have to do is be clear on what to expect.

I never heard of a new Delta or AirTran first officer being confused about the clearance. I know I did it no differently in Atlanta than I did in Detroit, Miami, Minneapolis, or anywhere else. "Expect short approach" is really simple: descend as quickly as you can.

They only expect compliance with their non-standard phraseology with carriers that they consider familiar with the ATL slang. ATL is a pretty small nugget in the SWA route structure. Anywhere else on the planet an "expect short approach" clearance would be interpreted as a likely turn inside the FAF. This problem is in ATL approach's lap. They only have to use proper terminology to make it go away. Publishing a secret codebook for ATL ATC is is a poor solution when all they have to do is be clear on what to expect.

"Expect short approach" ISNT a clearance, but I'm sure you knew that! You will never get cleared for a short approach in ATL, and their terminology is 100% accurate! Most pilots would understand what that means when your abeam the field at 12,000 ft with 11,000ft to lose, and about 23 miles to do it. I'm now convinced that ATC knows how our airplanes perform better than we do. Or I should say, they know how they perform with other airlines operating them. Believe it or not, ATC knows that at 12,000ft, with 11,000ft to lose, it's a heck of a lot more than a 3 degree decent with a 10 mile final when your abeam the field. IE: "We are going to give you a decent well in excess of a standard 3 degree decent, and we expect you to be able to do it." Unfortunately, we have proven over and over again that we can not. BTW, ATC will almost never release you for a visual in ATL until they have given you the 30 degree or less intercept to join final. Their clearances are 100% by the book!

When you get violated for speed deviation, let me know who's "lap" it's in! Your not in El Paso anymore!

Last edited:
I can't believe this is already 5 pages, well maybe 4 pages of that gt1900 doosh and a page full of everyone else. Fock, it's Atlanta, enough said. :puke:

I can't believe this is already 5 pages, well maybe 4 pages of that gt1900 doosh and a page full of everyone else. Fock, it's Atlanta, enough said. :puke:

I can't believe it's a thread period! I thought we all knew how to fly airplanes at this point in our careers! And it's NOT just Atlanta! We can figure out how to line up at the right runway in BWI either!!

I can't believe it's a thread period! I thought we all knew how to fly airplanes at this point in our careers! And it's NOT just Atlanta! We can figure out how to line up at the right runway in BWI either!!

All I can say is go golfing or get a girlfriend, there is more to life than flying. At your rate your not going to pass a medical with high blood pressure. Quit the stressfest man, you seem like a guy who just got his first job at a regional and is overwhelmed by the operation. Work work work work Atlanta work work work work ATC work work work work hotspots.

"Expect short approach" ISNT a clearance, but I'm sure you knew that! You will never get cleared for a short approach in ATL, and their terminology is 100% accurate! Most pilots would understand what that means when your abeam the field at 12,000 ft with 11,000ft to lose, and about 23 miles to do it. I'm now convinced that ATC knows how our airplanes perform better than we do. Or I should say, they know how they perform with other airlines operating them. Believe it or not, ATC knows that at 12,000ft, with 11,000ft to lose, it's a heck of a lot more than a 3 degree decent with a 10 mile final when your abeam the field. IE: "We are going to give you a decent well in excess of a standard 3 degree decent, and we expect you to be able to do it." Unfortunately, we have proven over and over again that we can not. BTW, ATC will almost never release you for a visual in ATL until they have given you the 30 degree or less intercept to join final. Their clearances are 100% by the book!

When you get violated for speed deviation, let me know who's "lap" it's in! Your not in El Paso anymore!

You are correct and I should have stated "expected clearance."

But,

10-12 mile final is not a short approach. If they used "expect a 10-12 final" or "join final at xyz." Be clear about what you want and most will comply, that is all.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back