• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Safety ALERT RW 23 ILS KBUF

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
guys thats been NOTAM'd and on the ATIS since probably 1998 when i started flying there

guys thats been NOTAM'd and on the ATIS since probably 1998 when i started flying there

So that means that it couldn't have bitten someone? The Rockies have been there for 20 million years, but every now and then someone flies into them.

true but like some other guy said GS capture inhibited unless LOC capture. at least that how it is in the ERJ. if the LOC was captured they well would have been within 5 degrees

true but like some other guy said GS capture inhibited unless LOC capture. at least that how it is in the ERJ. if the LOC was captured they well would have been within 5 degrees

I have many times, on several aircraft types, when APPR was armed the LOC signal would jump, erroniously, causing the A/P to try to capture it. Since the GS needle is off scale top, the AP would try to climb to catch it while the AP started a turn to catch the false LOC, since it thinks it has LOC capture. It happens. And it would go a long way toward explaining something like this. If the crew was distracted by ice, or something else, they would have been surprised, and who knows what could have happened.

I have many times, on several aircraft types, when APPR was armed the LOC signal would jump, erroniously, causing the A/P to try to capture it. Since the GS needle is off scale top, the AP would try to climb to catch it while the AP started a turn to catch the false LOC, since it thinks it has LOC capture. It happens.

Yup. I've seen this on the 328jet. Maybe twice. Want to say ILS 23 into MSN. Now I kinda wish I would have filled out a report of some type.

Base to final 24R in LAX has an erronious signal that is several degrees to the right of the actual localizer. The AP on the CRJ will sometimes capture the false localizer and turn inbound only to turn back to intercept the real localizer.

I have many times, on several aircraft types, when APPR was armed the LOC signal would jump, erroniously, causing the A/P to try to capture it.

Saw this last week in a 737-700. Not the first time either. Also seen it go after the slope (climb) without LOC capture. It happens.

Anybody verify that this is a real alert, and not some snarky, in poor taste attempt at humor?

I don't know about this alert but a NOTAM has been posted about this for months that I've been operating into BUF over the winter. Not sure how old the NOTAM is but it has been awhile.

Base to final 24R in LAX has an erronious signal that is several degrees to the right of the actual localizer. The AP on the CRJ will sometimes capture the false localizer and turn inbound only to turn back to intercept the real localizer.

CAE...ILS 23 when capturing from the South. Not sure what the heck the plane sensed, but it was waaaay off.

From section 6.4 page 17 of the CAL 737 flight manual:

"Glideslope capture is inhibited prior to localizer capture."

It is true of all transport catagory aircraft because often times the G/S is unreliable more than 30 degrees or so off the loc, and often the mode is armed outside of that arc.

Not true......A319/320 and the 737-300 (UAL's at least) will capture G/S prior to LOC capture.

Latest resources

Back