• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Safety ALERT RW 23 ILS KBUF

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not true......A319/320 and the 737-300 (UAL's at least) will capture G/S prior to LOC capture.

Fine. Your's are programmed that way. Ours aren't, and I posted the passage from our Flight Manual.

Not true......A319/320 and the 737-300 (UAL's at least) will capture G/S prior to LOC capture.

But, I would almost bet that your FOM also states for both aircraft that G/S capure is inhibited until LOC capture occurs. I believe that is a certification requirement of autopilots. I already stated that although each and every aircraft I have flown is designed like that, I have had several instances where a false LOC capture causes a problem.

dude, a little trouble admitting you were wrong? you made a blanket statement. numerous posters have said it was BS. you retreat to telling us what our FOMs say? not a strong position, imo.

We all have things to learn, that is why many of us frequent a forum like this. this only works if you are willing to admit you don't know it all. I will as soon as I'm wrong about something. joke.

dude, a little trouble admitting you were wrong? you made a blanket statement. numerous posters have said it was BS. you retreat to telling us what our FOMs say? not a strong position, imo.

I believe it is a certification requirement, period. I am attempting to verify that. And since you are apparently reading impaired, I already stated, SEVERAL TIMES, that while all 3 aircraft that I am typed in have autopilots that are designed to NOT CAPTURE the GS until LOC captures, there are instances that it will, through LOC signal noise. Is that really that difficult to understand? And did you even look at your FOM? I looked at all of mine and each has a statement similar to the one in the CAL 737 FOM.

OK, it is not a certification requirement, it is something that each operator can request. But it is the default that G/S capture be inhibited until LOC capture has initiated.

Would, could, or shouldn't.......I've had the aircraft abruptly pitch up, agressively, to chase a g/s when it has just started to come alive going into Atlanta. The CRJ-200 has done that to me two or three times. Even better, is that they were all CAT II certified aircraft.

Everyone is harping on the icing issue, but I'm thinking it was a conglomeration of multiple events- Icing, coupled with a configuration/airspeed change and an autopilot anomaly to shake things up. Talk about nasty- aircraft pitches up aggressively and the stick shaker suddenly kicks in. Whoa- what a nasty ride!

My sincerest hope is that the crew comes out of this with their dignity. It's one thing if it was blatant pilot error or clowns in the cockpit, but I just don't think that's the case- a good crew with a run of bad luck and timing...........

GS capture in the Boeing is inhibited with APP Mode selected and greater then 45 degrees of intercept of the selected course on the MCP..

Latest resources

Back