• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Poolies . . . a glimmer of hope?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, wouldn't a Jan new hire class put butts in seats in the spring..? Or, are we splitting atoms here..? Or, just drinking kool-aid from half empty glasses..?

I was thinking more along the lines of April but I'll take any good news you've got!

Gup

I've started to learn to take GK at his word. So when he says NO GROWTH for the next three years I tend to take him at his word. I used to think that he didn't really mean what he said, but after numerous dissapointments, I've learned to accept that things are the way they are whether I like it or not. If GK changes his mind and decides to FINALLY GROW THIS AIRLINE again, then I will be thrilled, but until that happens. I'm going to just continue to show up, fly my trip, and go home. Hopefully the pool will be drained sooner rather than later, but I'm certainly not going to give you all false hope, because despite what a few of my fellow pilots have told you we are NOT understaffed even in the height of the summer flying schedule with the CURRENT FLEET. The only way to change that is to add more Airframes than we are retiring, and that hasn't been happening for the last few years.

Right as usual, TC...see you on the line!

Just like he was right back in 07/08? Please, give me a break! When anyone gets on this forum and claims to have the "pulse" of the company then that's when I call bullsh!t. Things can change at this or any other company at a moments notice. Poolies, try to stay positive; we're all hoping for the best!

Hey Mil, you retards thought there would be classes in '09 and '10. I said no. I was right. Just like I'll be right about '11.

Here's the logic (and you can stick your head in the sand over the math...but it is what it is):

The CEO said they hired too many people in the last 10 years.
He said no growth for '11 or '12.
He's going to replace older jets with bigger new jets (and can keep the capacity the same by replacing 5 old jets with only 4 new jets). Let's assume that each jet requires 10 pilots to make the math easy (I assume pilots/jet are higher than this). Re place 100 old jets with 80 new jets. An overall decrease of 20 jets. 20 jets times 10 pilots per equals 200 less pilots needed.

When might these new jets come? I'm hearing 2012. That's right about when retirements start again. So lets say 200 guys retire...well, looks like the manning is right on. So around 2013 it looks like it's time to hire again.

Mind you, this is before anyone buys JetBlue or Airtran.

BTW, I'm basically getting this from the horses mouth. My buddy talked with the CEO and VP of pilots a couple of days ago. He also told me the company is in negotiations with the pilots to get them to agree to fly the 800 with no assurance for a one for one swap. He was an exec in the union a few years ago....so he is well positioned to know both sides on this one.

Latest resources

Back