• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Poolies . . . a glimmer of hope?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's funny to me is that SWA can keep plans hidden from the entire world, right up until the time they unveil them, that is hidden from everyone but TC the idiot king. Do you really expect us to think you have this magic inside track? Some TOAD would be the last person ANYONE from SWA would tell and you are the epitome TOAD!! Dirtsack!!

Yes you'd only need 4 -800's to replace the seating capacity of 5 older -300's. But you now have less airframes to cover the segments flown by those -300's. If the load factor is that good lately, and stays the same into next year, which segments get deleted? I know, SWA is optimizing the schedule. But they've been at it a couple of years now so the easy choices are gone. Hopefully things are improving enough so that these swaps are on a 1 for one basis -- this allows for ASM growth without trimming the fleet -- and possibly even adding an extra here and there.

Disclaimer: I don't have ANY inside knowledge, higher up friends, or both. I'm just a glass half full kind of guy who thinks things are looking better for some poolies in 2011.

Just a line pilot privy to the "inside scoop" from other line pilots I fly with during the week. I think nobody freakin' knows. With the extra cities and possible purchase of 800s, something could pop quickly. Right now, however, we are not undermanned, especially since we just finished the regular summer busy period WHILE putting folks through RNP training. I hope we hire/grow soon but like others have said, I take GK for his word. Hopefully optimistic though.

Just a line pilot privy to the "inside scoop" from other line pilots I fly with during the week. I think nobody freakin' knows. With the extra cities and possible purchase of 800s, something could pop quickly. Right now, however, we are not undermanned, especially since we just finished the regular summer busy period WHILE putting folks through RNP training. I hope we hire/grow soon but like others have said, I take GK for his word. Hopefully optimistic though.

+1 on both these...

They went to the trouble of interviewing all of us back in the summer/fall of 08 for a reason. Somebody at the company thought they were going to need us (Rocky told my interview group Jan 08 latest).

It's worth reminding people that SWA had people in the pool for 2 years after 9/11 and didn't flush them.

I don't think any of you guys in the pool are going to get flushed. But, I also don't think you guys are going to be coming to class anytime soon unless GK actually GROWS the fleet again. If he gets the urge to Merge again which I'm betting he will (cough) B6 (cough), then it's going to be another 5 years before hiring will probably resume. Hope I'm wrong on all of this and we see you guys on property next year, but like I said before, I'm not going to give you guys false hope.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but if you look at past precedences in the industry, pools tend to get flushed after long periods of stagnation. The concern from the company's perspective is what has changed in the applicants back ground in 2-3 years. If they decide to re-interview, they open themselves to lawsuits if they deny an applicant who they previously hired.

I'm not talking Southwest specifically, because they only reference we have is post 9-11 where poolies sat for 18 months or so. More recently, United flushed after 2 years. Northwest flushed theirs out in less time. I truly hope it works out for the pilots awaiting class.

post 9/11 pool

Was in SWA pool 2 years post 9/11, and no flushes...they did make new flying currency rules, tho...

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but if you look at past precedences in the industry, pools tend to get flushed after long periods of stagnation. The concern from the company's perspective is what has changed in the applicants back ground in 2-3 years. If they decide to re-interview, they open themselves to lawsuits if they deny an applicant who they previously hired.

I'm not talking Southwest specifically, because they only reference we have is post 9-11 where poolies sat for 18 months or so. More recently, United flushed after 2 years. Northwest flushed theirs out in less time. I truly hope it works out for the pilots awaiting class.

The SWA PD has already said when/if hiring resumes that there will be another background check, update of PRIA data, checkrides, etc. That's why they told me on the phone "you've been selected to continue in the hiring process" not "you are hired." Covering their butts. My money is on SWA not flushing the pool.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back