SWA pilots going to vote down the TA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
>>Canceled flight no pay<<

First of all, that is crap and is another example of why this TA is going to pass because the fear mongers are pulling wild accusations out of their intestines that are slowing getting squelched with the truth.

As far as canceled flight pay goes, you cannot make less than what you were originally scheduled for or what you actually fly. That has always been the case.

What the TA does is codify something that has actually been scheduling practice for decades, but not spelled out officially in the contract.

Here is the deal. On those rare occasions that a massive weather system has melted down large parts of the system and crews are sitting around while scheds tries to rebuild the system and get people flying again, they had situations where they thought that the weather would improve or the airport would re-open or whatever at a certain time so they would start adding trips to guy's lines in an effort to get things moving. Well, as is often the case, things would get delayed even more so they would scratch that first plan and try a different one. Or for example, an early decision would be to cancel flights up to a certain hour and then the weather doesn't improve so the timeline is extended and flights they thought were going to happen get canceled as well.

The bottom line is often in those melt down situations guys can have their schedules changed several times during the period of trying to get things running again.

What happened was we actually had guys who had two or three flights that were put on their schedules and for a given day and then the flights got canceled and replaced with other flights and these guys thought that they should be paid FOR ALL OF THEM even if they overlapped each other making it impossible to fly them, or were on their board for only a few minutes before being changed. Those guys were idiots and were just trying to play games with the contract, so even though the policy isn't changing at all, they are simply codifying long standing practice into the new contract.

With regard to cancellations, we can still never earn less than what we were originally scheduled for or what we actually fly as has been our policy for decades.

Another example is the wild rumor of sitting the last reserve block for free. This is another one that simply isn't true.

The No voters had a chance in the early days of the contract to defeat it when all of the rumors and innuendos were at their peak, but the longer the process takes, the more those inaccuracies will be clarified and the more chance the TA has of passing.

It is far from perfect, but it will pass. There is no doubt about that.

Last edited:
SWA still has the lowest CSM, .085 of any airline and they do that through productivity. That is employee per airplane. They have reduced employee per airplane from 85 in 2003 to 66 to 2008. This has been done through hiring freezes while increasing the fleet along with eliminating positions. From 2007 to 2008 SWA added 17 airplanes with identical total passengers carried. They are no longer the low cost carrier. They have a lower load factor than most other airlines, therefore the yield per RPM has to be greater, causing higher prices for tickets, thusly fewer passengers. The op cost sm is .102. This means they are loosing on aircraft operation .02 for every seat mile they fly. They are on track to loose 100M this quarter. Please do not attack me for flaming SWA, this is all out of the latest issue of ATW. SWA has to do something, this can not go on for ever.

>>
Another example is the wild rumor of sitting the last reserve block for free. This is another one that simply isn't true.
This is no rumor. I was on the conference call that the NC had and heard the Chairman of the NC admit that they had goofed and had put the old reserve language in, where you didn't get paid extra for Reserve days when you didn't fly after already meeting the guarantee. He said that the NC was going to go back to the company and "try" to get this corrected, good luck with that. There is a lot of similar language issues in this TA, as well as the ELITT issues and the Lance issues, that need to be corrected. I've been at SWA since 1994 working under this contract, I can continue to work under the current contract for a couple of more years. This TA has to be sent back and get everything that is wrong corrected, instead of hoping that SWAPA can negotiate the changes in two years.

The SWA model used to be based on people working hard and getting compensated for it. Now it's fly your line and get the guarantee. Guess that works for you. Most people want flexibility to change their schedule around and max their pay out. Thus, not to be like United and the rest.

So dropping your whole line to make yourself legal for VJA (time and a half flying) is "working hard" and "maximizing productivity"?

I don't like the new TA restrictions either, but it would be nice you "playas" would at least be honest about the reasons why you don't want changes to the current system.

This is no rumor. I was on the conference call that the NC had and heard the Chairman of the NC admit that they had goofed and had put the old reserve language in, where you didn't get paid extra for Reserve days when you didn't fly after already meeting the guarantee. He said that the NC was going to go back to the company and "try" to get this corrected, good luck with that. There is a lot of similar language issues in this TA, as well as the ELITT issues and the Lance issues, that need to be corrected. I've been at SWA since 1994 working under this contract, I can continue to work under the current contract for a couple of more years. This TA has to be sent back and get everything that is wrong corrected, instead of hoping that SWAPA can negotiate the changes in two years.

I'll bet it would be easier to get that corrected following a decisive NO! vote from the membership. As if I didn't already have enough reasons to vote no....:smash:

So dropping your whole line to make yourself legal for VJA (time and a half flying) is "working hard" and "maximizing productivity"?

I don't like the new TA restrictions either, but it would be nice you "playas" would at least be honest about the reasons why you don't want changes to the current system.

So true!!!

Very few people do that.

a. you have to be senior enough to have trips people want.

b. there has to be VJA available to get called, which there isn't.

You are angry at a few people who drop their trips instead of looking at the whole of having your flexibility to trading trips removed.

You then have to be mad at the people that pick the trips from these guys... like me...I am not a tournament player but work it good and this lack of flexibility pisses me off. I never do the VJA thing because I like my sched set..now all these guys ie: lances will not put the trips in giveaway and now I have to resort to playing the system to get extra trips...this hurts everyone.

Latest resources

Back