• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA pilots going to vote down the TA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When I buy tickets, I can beat SWA seat prices on a number of airlines right now. The $49 does not seem to be available when I want to travel or where I am going. SWA load factors are lower than other airlines, they have to sell at that price to keep LF where they are.

Our LF has always been lower since we are point to point airline and not a hub and spoke carrier

Orion,
You and others will be extremely disappointed when you vote this TA in. You see the 130/month now because we have a good contract now. We are overmanned right now...look at the new "shoulder/torso cuts" for Aug-Oct. The company wants us working at straight time for the next couple years of stagnation/shrinkage...this contract is the way to do it. Yes, productivity will go down...how do I know? Ask the guy who got us a lot of the things we have now, JD Stewart...he says productivity will DECREASE significantly with this contract. The company is not going to furlough as they know things really will get ugly with labor, so they can reduce costs by having us all fly at straight pay or less (6.0 reserves). The company knows we will give up anything to get these things back in a couple years when the contract ends. They have done very well here...they will shut down JA/VJA over the weekends and get line values down even more and get even more pilots working for 6TFP/day with the 25% reserve increase. We gave all that away for free and have sucked throughout negotiations. The FA's got our codeshare protection, faster 401K ramp up, and more pay AND they even improved their contract rules. I do not think you have read the TA...just the exec summary. You seem like a smart guy...please read the TA and you will see that the exec summary is very one-sided and misleading. We got our butts kicked at the table here...listen to the conf call with the NC and you will hear the ignorance of the contract from those who "negotiated" for us. Our contract rocks right now...it is MUCH better than the TA. I'll take it over this TA because it is worth more even with the raises.

Our LF has always been lower since we are point to point airline and not a hub and spoke carrier
And I'll bet the tooth fairy has come to visit you only once. Otherwise you'd have the "teeth" fairy visit you.
Either way, I'm sure you get to see lots of fairy's!:laugh:

The company will NEVER negotiate anything that reduces productivity, no matter the current environment or staffing levels.

Have you read the contract?

By further restricting ELITT, capping drop days through ELITT, reducing lance pick-ups,reducing the number of lance captains, and eliminating the current extra fly that is EXACTLY what the company is doing.

BTW, I'm not going to spend all day chasing a computer to decifer the OTA text messages. That reduces my flexibility with my family on my days off.

You're telling me that with no open time on the captain side that the company wanted to raise reserves to 10% to increase my flexibility and productivity?

I suggest you get your finances in order because you're about to take a paycut - in cash and flexibility.

Gup

Right as usual, Gup...it will take time to get the word out, but my bet is most folks will see the logic if they truly think about it. I used to average 8.2-8.3 TFP per day here (over 9 one month)...I am now down to just over 7 after the DTC concession and the shoulder cuts. I expect most will be down in the high sixes before it is all over. But this is only a pay cut if I dont WORK MORE, right?

I have already taken a 10% cut this year. I was flying 115 and now I am down to 100-105 for the same days worked. I am guessing at least another 5% around the August time frame. If this passes, I am guessing it might be a few more percent along with another 1-2 years added on to my upgrade time. Voting No...for many reasons. I was expecting a neutral contract with a small raise, but this thing is a disaster.

You guys are all making my point. You've lost tfp already because of the reduction in ASMs, NOT THE TA!!! The ASM to pilot ratio is the only thing that will affect that number!! Right now with the economy, we are having trouble keeping up the ASMs (see August schedule) and we just had our first operating loss in some time (don't start with the conspiracies).

I agree that the TA may reduce some 'flexibility' in the form of restricting ELITT (do any of you remember LITT or the dark days before that??). But it will still be a reasonable tool for most of the group. Lance reductions are indeed tough for those affected but that may only serve to maintain or increase premium flying for CAs since there are less eager 60ks to pick up EF straight. The pool of 2days and turns will be unchanged and I still think much of that will be bid and given away.

I do not believe that productivity will be affected by this TA -only by the change in ASMs and any efforts that may happen to change the pilot staffing. It almost sounds like some of you are wishing for a furlough so you can maintain your monthly trip average. Until the flying comes back, it is gonna be lean times. Don't blame it on the work rules or the TA. I respectfully submit that it is crazy to think that the company wants to negotiate less productivity for any of its work groups.

I have already taken a 10% cut this year. I was flying 115 and now I am down to 100-105 for the same days worked. I am guessing at least another 5% around the August time frame. If this passes, I am guessing it might be a few more percent along with another 1-2 years added on to my upgrade time. Voting No...for many reasons. I was expecting a neutral contract with a small raise, but this thing is a disaster.

Ever heard of "line guarantee"

No on is taking a pay cut. The system is based on greed and many have allowed themselves to live beyond their means and now that the game is changing they are crying "pay cut" :bawling:

Trust me, I do feel for the Lance's as I would've like to have seen them being grandfathered, but this whole pay cut thing is a joke.

It won't be long before someone figures out how to work the new system and there will be a few new "Mafia's" and "Cartels" in every base. :rolleyes:

Reebo you are a Buffoon.

Most lines are now made up between 85-92 TFP and many ELITT to 100 without working extra days just to make up for the shoulder cuts. ELITT will now restrict people from trading and thus having lower TFP but the pay is nominally increased. Therefore, there is zero increase in pay and for many is a small pay cut.

The SWA model used to be based on people working hard and getting compensated for it. Now it's fly your line and get the guarantee. Guess that works for you. Most people want flexibility to change their schedule around and max their pay out. Thus, not to be like United and the rest.

This TA sucks and needs to be voted down for 100+ reasons in addition to the pay cut most of us will be taking.

The day Herb stepped down is the day the culture and good will at this company died.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back