• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA pilots going to vote down the TA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Being one who has not made up my mind I would like to know specifically what you would change in the TA. Be realistic because code share is going to be in there. The deal has been done with two carriers and will not be changed. You know as well as I the only recourse we have is a strike and that will never happen. SWAPA will never even take a strike vote because the results would be disastrous for the pilots and only serve to embolden the company (IMO). I for one don't see much if any improvement once a mediator gets involved and that’s where it is going when/if it is voted down. I wish I could be more optimistic because this group is going to be very disappointed for the next 3 years with this deal whether slight changes are made or not. Welcome to a mature stagnant airline. 13 year upgrades and much less flexibility with your schedule.

So you resigning yourself to the fact that even though it's a bad deal for you it will pass?

I'm not.

I am one of the people involved in the behind the scenes education campaign. I care so I got involved.

I refuse to sit by while SWA destroys my productivity, my flexibility, and my future.

I see a lot of talk about "hey we're getting a raise." Let me ask you a question. If you make $10/hour and your boss gives you a raise to $12/hour but cuts your hours and your ability to work overtime - did you still get a raise? That exact senario is what this TA does.

Read the CONTRACT, not the executive summary.

Gup

Gup are they going to get a product out there soon? I do not want people to make up their minds before it is too late without current info on "our" side of the table

I do not want people to make up their minds before it is too late without current info on "our" side of the table

WHy shouldn't they, you made you mind up before the contract was even on the website ...

How does the TA change the ability of pilots to work overtime?

That ability is basically a function of our staffing level. If there is too much flying for a given number of pilots, there will be lots of open time. If not enough (i.e. lately), then open time is harder to grab.

This contract changes the way open time is obtained (and does restrict certain elements of ELITT), but if you were a 130 trip/month guy before, that's not gonna change.

The ratio of premium to straight time flying won't change, either, since that is also simply a function of pilot staffing.

What am I missing??

With regards to ELITT it will now not allow you to drop/switch the number of trips you may have done before to let you trade with the company or pick up more dense trip with higher TFP. The flex that we once had will be gone..I was a big user of ELITT to trade my crummy line with trips that were better and maybe move weekend flying to the weekday if I had stuff to do....that will all be gone for the most part if it passes..that is a fact based on the company throwing more DTC over more than just 1 weekend a month

The ratio of premium to straight time flying won't change, either, since that is also simply a function of pilot staffing.

What am I missing??

Maybe nothing, maybe everything.

The restriction of ELITT, killing of the lance program, and more efficient open time awards combine to make uncovered flying less likely.

when does most of the JA/VJA happen now, on the weekends. why? more uncovered flying.

The TA mandates more reserves (10% vs 8%). The TA neuters the lance program, meaning less sweet turns and two days for guys to pick up, making guys more willing to fly for straight time vs. premium.

I expect that premium open time will go down substantially, but that is just an educated guess. I am not alone in that assessment though.

With regards to ELITT:

CONS:

- additional DTC restrictions in the form of 2% on two weekends each month plus the 2 weekends (for the yr) chosen by the company. (as opposed to 1 weekend now).

- restriction to trading down only 4 duty periods (days): similar to the current 65 trip min but yes, more restrictive.

PROS:

- shorter window (57 hr vs 105 hr) to trade before trip

- more seniority in place in that trips that are dropped into open time after MOT (i.e. mil) will now go through some DOT before just being thrown into ELITT for whoever is lucky enough to see it first.

SAME:

- holiday DTC restrictions are the same as they are now.

I'm sure I missed some points. The company wanted the whole thing gone because the migration of crappy, rig-stripped, broken pairings to the weekends is a scheduling and reserve staffing issue. They have a point. It looks like we retained the basic concept with a few more restrictions but with a few improvements.

Is it really so negative that someone should vote no over it??

My previous point remains unchallenged.... our ability to fly open time, both premium and straight, is unchanged by the TA. ELITT might change when you can get your extra 30 trips a month, but you'll still be able to do it.

Latest resources

Back