SWA pilot that blew .039

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
800Dog said:
You have lots to learn. I do not advocate drinking and flying but please do some research. Alcohol and fatigue have the same affect. Quit whacking off and find a woman!!!!

really? Being tired can cause fatigue and slowed response time similar to alcohol consumption? Thanks for the education professor. I could have used that nugget of information when I was flying 9 hour missions in Iraq and Afghanistan at O'dark thirty after getting 4 hours of sleep in a 12 man tent the night before. Who knew? I guess that's why there are pages upon pages of guidance written about crew rest in the FAR's, military regulations and company policies, as well a numerous hours of classroom education in practically every professional flight school. I never thought that the purpose of all that was to prevent pilots from flying while tired. Probably cause I wasn't paying attention that week. It all makes sense now that you've pointed it out for me.

Bottom line is that you roll the dice when you get on a plane. Lots of variables. How much experience do the pilots have, any check-ride busts, how much rest have they had, weather conditions... yadda, yadda, yadda. Lots of things to worry about when you put your family on a plane, but I would like to think that being hung over and blowing a .039 is not one of them. Anything else I need to learn?

Those months of living in that tent eventually manifested into the self-love problem I have today... as well as a pregnant sock.

Last edited:
ferlo said:
Perhaps it's time to quit defending the 1,2,3 rule in your contract as well. There's a reason no other airline pushes for a perpetual happy hour for their pilots.

Quit defending the 1,2,3 rule?? Good job reaching into left field. This is a negotiated benefit of REDUCED profit for the hotel. If your hotel folks had their stuff in a pile they would work harder for you too. I'm glad you aren't on the hotel comittee. I can see you're not happy putting restrictions on just yourself and your fellow employees, you want to control all of aviation.

No, I don't think so....

Last edited:
ferlo said:
Why should a guy that shows up drunk to fly an airplane get a f-ing dime out of it? Despite the tone here, showing up drunk to fly a jet doesn't really make you cool, despite how much you think "herb" would approve.

No one thinks this. If you can't stand a stupid joke, back away from the keyboard and walk away.

Of course having any alcohol in your system when flying is bad. I hope crewmembers with these issues get the help they need.

Spidey said:
...you've got to be some liberal arts sophomore at a college in Kansas, Missouri, or Arkansas...nice cut and paste research...but ya got too many dangling participles...your English 201 TA is gonna kick yer arss...now, get outta the library and back to yer dorm before curfew...see ya in the real world inna coupla years, rookie...

lol not even close, I just used google search and took about 2 minutes to make my cut and paste look purdy.

An arrest is a matter of public record. Any person in this country can get the names and charges of those arrested in any jurisdiction. The release of his name is not only allowed but required by our constitution....why? So that the government does not secretly take custody of its civilian population (e.g. USSR circa 1960). It is also our primary protection to ensure a fair legal system...open to the public.

Quite frankly, his chances for any money out of this are minimal. You have to demonstrate "gross negligence" on the part of the TSA or the DA...and the fact that he did in fact have some alchol in his system established their hurdle of probable cause to take him into custody.

ferlo said:
Why should a guy that shows up drunk to fly an airplane get a f-ing dime out of it? Despite the tone here, showing up drunk to fly a jet doesn't really make you cool, despite how much you think "herb" would approve.

Remember the AmWest crew that got prison time for "flying drunk" or the famous NWA crew that actually flew drunk. These guys didnt "hurt" anyone other than themselves and their families. What I am wondering, on these message boards, is why hasnt any of you blasted the Comair crew for Killing 49 people. I know that the investgation is still under way, and will take a year to get the final result, but you guys are always fast to point fingers at the drunks who dont hurt others.

I dont mean to be "cold" or "heartless", but if this FO survives, should he get 49 life sentences?

skiandsurf said:
Remember the AmWest crew that got prison time for "flying drunk" or the famous NWA crew that actually flew drunk. These guys didnt "hurt" anyone other than themselves and their families. What I am wondering, on these message boards, is why hasnt any of you blasted the Comair crew for Killing 49 people. I know that the investgation is still under way, and will take a year to get the final result, but you guys are always fast to point fingers at the drunks who dont hurt others.

I dont mean to be "cold" or "heartless", but if this FO survives, should he get 49 life sentences?

Flaimbait.

grog_sit_reserv said:
Ygtbsm Stfu S&s

This is what I am talking about. You guys sympathize for the crew that kills a bunch of people, but want to blast the guy that had a .039 breathalizer.

or blast a crew for sliding off a runway at 14 knots which was advertised as good braking.

Latest resources

Back